JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In a regional/national or global SHTF scenario, bugging out would be largely a mistake.

Here are a few reasons:

1) hiding out in the woods, even with the best training and gear available is a short term endeavor. Maybe you can live for 3+ months on roots, berries and rabbits - then what? Eventually you'll fall ill, get injured or otherwise die from some mundane ailment that might have been preventable or remedied with $20 of personal/health items from the local drugstore.

2) if all of us (even just serious preppers) run to the hills, we'll quickly consume whatever resources (berries and bunnies) are in the immediate area.

3) what a horribly tragic waste if we ended up fighting each other for resources mentioned as well as our own gear and supplies

4) you can only carry so much, regardless if on foot, horse or SUV. If you're really clever you can carry more, but there's not really a limit to what you could store at your own home/ranch/retreat.

For whatever reason #3 resonates with me. Nothing would be worse than fighting against my neighbor instead of the common threat facing us.

My thoughts, if its global, and you last a month or more you doing good. I figure depending on whats going on , the first month will take the most lives. Then is really just a survival of the fittest.. Also what percentage of the world knows how to survive in the woods. **** I know a lot of people that have never even gone camping!

Bugging out can work IMO, just keep heading further up into the hills haha... Because in all reality what percentage of the population is capable of doing so. Just thinking in my family, out of the 29 people (including extended family) I just counted off the top of my head, I am the only one who could last more than a week in the woods with nothing other than a simple packed day bag.

The only reason to bug out is if you are running from something. And while your bugged out eating bugs and parasite infested bunnies and each other (saw that in another post here) , i'll be in your house eating whats left in your freezer and cupboards fondling the guns you could not carry, why not? your NOT there and odds are you won't make it back.

Please note i say that with sarcasium and humor. But i'm sure somebody will and they will be armed with what you left behind.

So as for me i'll hold down the fort.

#5) After a week or two of experiencing #3, gut-wrenching news reaches you from one of your "bugging-in" brethren... "False alarm guys!":s0114:

Sorry... as a dedicated member of the "bugging-in" club, that one goes through my mind ever so often.

#5) After a week or two of experiencing #3, gut-wrenching news reaches you from one of your "bugging-in" brethren... "False alarm guys!":s0114:

Sorry... as a dedicated member of the "bugging-in" club, that one goes through my mind ever so often.

The level of embarrassment sounds like an episode of the Office.

The level of embarrassment sounds like an episode of the Office.

:D Could happen though. Think about it. The bugging out folks will be mainly from the cities, right? So in order for one's own "bug out" to work one would probably have to bug out ahead of most everyone else to avoid all the unpleasant things associated with thousands of people heading for the hills during a panic. Plus, one would have to bug out far enough in advance so you wouldn't be stopped by the country folks when they see a vast caravan of camo-clad city dwellers motoring towards them.

So, in order to pull off an effective bug out you would have to head for the hills in advance, thus making #5 theoretically possible.

silly question but what is "bugging out"? vacating your home?

Yes. A lot of folks believe the best approach to a SHTF event is to get out quickly, and head for the wilds with the idea of existing there. I'm guessing the majority on this board lean toward that approach. Fewer of us (myself included) believe staying put makes more sense in almost any situation. Either way, preparing ahead of time for your chosen approach to whatever disaster/event you believe could occur is the key. It makes for some interesting discussion. :)

Being from a smallish town, I prefer bugging-in with close neighbors and family; however, the only thing that worries me about this choice is having to put up with what is left of government. They will more than likely want to control and encapsulate people, which will leave very few options in taking care of needs (killing for food, defending oneself and home, etc..). I haven't really come to a conclusion in how to handle the authorities in a SHTF scenario.

Any thoughts?

I disagree EZlivin. I think the majority of us plan on buggin in. The others are just more vocal. Not to turn this in to a "us versus them thing". But this is the preparedness forum of the site, so everyone should be prepared to do both.

I am well prepared for most incidents here at home. Recently I saw a provisional map showing a forecasted nuclear explosion scenario of a bomb hitting downtown Portland.
The effects were not as severe as I might have thought. However, I live west of PDX, the east wind would carry fallout clear to the coast range. This will/would severly foil my plans to bug in. Without a fallout shelter, I too will be heading away from the fallout for at least 1 month. Thats a lot of provisions to deal with for my family. Im very sure I am not setup for this scenario. But knowing, and thinking about it is the first step.Of course, this is the worst case scenario. And somewhat Doom and gloom I know. But if we prepare for the worst, the minor stuff will be a snap!

Along with all the obvious negative aspects to "bugging out" one almost never gets mentioned - winter. It would be bad enough in the relatively mild climate of the 'Valley' but over here on the east side it would be nearly impossible. I deal with people all the time who think they can live in an RV in the winter here which is all but impossible. Anything beyond that would be.

But if we prepare for the worst, the minor stuff will be a snap!
Correct.........prepare our minds correctly and we (or whomever the survivors of such cataclysmic events are) could rebuild civilization completely (say from about the early iron age) in a matter of a decade or so.....Just gotta make it through the initial event and a few months...

I haven't really come to a conclusion in how to handle the authorities in a SHTF scenario.
Any thoughts?

Here's what I think. In a disaster situation authorities attempt to maintain what control they can, and will focus efforts and limited resources on putting out the biggest fires (figuratively speaking). A group of people (family, friends, neighbors) who have come together for mutual support, and who are not out there causing others trouble, would likely not be bothered (too much). Bottom line - outta sight, outta mind.

That is what happens in localized disasters, so I would tend to think that is how it would play out in most SHTF scenarios.

I deal with people all the time who think they can live in an RV in the winter here which is all but impossible.
Like folks that attempt to spend a winter in SE Alaska in a 28' sailboat....same story.....

But look back a few short generations....Our Grandfolks (or great grandfolks) walked out here from Nebraska.....Just in time to displace a nation that had been around since the stone age (ish).... and those folks lived here just fine....

I disagree EZlivin. I think the majority of us plan on buggin in. The others are just more vocal.

Good deal! I'm not alone! :s0155:

Your "nuclear explosion scenario" is the one reason I can think of that would make me want to hit the road. Unfortunately, I've seen the metro area gridlocked too many times (for whatever reason) to think that the three of us could rendezvous and get out of the area fast enough to evade the fallout. That is why we all carry iOSAT anti-rad pills.

Being from a smallish town, I prefer bugging-in with close neighbors and family; however, the only thing that worries me about this choice is having to put up with what is left of government. I haven't really come to a conclusion in how to handle the authorities in a SHTF scenario.

Any thoughts?

I am a very strong supporter of local LEOs, and such but if the SHTF I will take out anyone taking away my God given rights. You try an take my guns, I'm going to take your life. Taking away my only way of protecting myself and family will only end in two ways...Me dead...You dead.
I will die before I end up in a concentration camp or alone in the urban jungle filled with people that will kill me for a snickers bar and a beer.Or just a beer.

In a regional/national or global SHTF scenario, bugging out would be largely a mistake.

Here are a few reasons:

1) hiding out in the woods, even with the best training and gear available is a short term endeavor. Maybe you can live for 3+ months on roots, berries and rabbits - then what? Eventually you'll fall ill, get injured or otherwise die from some mundane ailment that might have been preventable or remedied with $20 of personal/health items from the local drugstore.

2) if all of us (even just serious preppers) run to the hills, we'll quickly consume whatever resources (berries and bunnies) are in the immediate area.

3) what a horribly tragic waste if we ended up fighting each other for resources mentioned as well as our own gear and supplies

4) you can only carry so much, regardless if on foot, horse or SUV. If you're really clever you can carry more, but there's not really a limit to what you could store at your own home/ranch/retreat.

For whatever reason #3 resonates with me. Nothing would be worse than fighting against my neighbor instead of the common threat facing us.

Bugging out isn't something one CHOOSES to do. It is what one is FORCED to do.

There are billions of reasons why staying home in front of a cozy fire is better than eating roots in the rain.

Plan for the worst. Bugging in is easy...........

I am a very strong supporter of local LEOs, and such but if the SHTF I will take out anyone taking away my God given rights. You try an take my guns, I'm going to take your life. Taking away my only way of protecting myself and family will only end in two ways...Me dead...You dead.
I will die before I end up in a concentration camp or alone in the urban jungle filled with people that will kill me for a snickers bar and a beer.Or just a beer.

I agree, imagine someone trying to shove this group into a football stadium or "disaster relief camp". :s0112: I don't think it would turn out the way they planned.

For me, our local LEOs wouldn't be a problem; they are mostly good ol' Coos County boys whose roots run deep. It's the implants that I worry about.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top