JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello,

My taste in firearms actually leans towards single shots and bolt actions, but I want to add an AR to have some experience with the platform. I bought a bunch of mags before the high capacity mag ban with 300 BO/300 HAMR in mind, so I am covered on that front, but it seems like I should make the AR purchase while I still can. I'm looking for some advice.

I'm really just wanting good quality at a decent price. I'd probably like to do some very basic customizing, but I don't want to get too deep into it. Are the PSA ARs decent? Is there another brand that would be a better starting point?

Thanks
You're getting a lot of advice to buy an upper, buy a lower etc, but it sounds to me like you want a complete.
A 300 Blackout as your first AR is OK, but much better if you reload and want to shoot suppressed.
I couldn't recommend 300 Blackout for a first AR.

Another thing is to understand the differences in AR gas system lengths.
Carbine, mid and rifle. This has a major influence on the rifle's configuration.

I would look at PSA and Springfield Saint for a complete AR.
The Saint has a lot of "upgrades" already on it and a mid-gas version is available which is not common in most company's offerings.
A 16" mid gasser is my favorite AR configuration.

Another fan of AeroPrecision. B Kings has a great sale on Aero Precision parts right now. They also have awesome savings on Ballistic Advantage barrels. Building an AR is a rewarding experience and easier with the Aero Precision M4E1 lowers.

ETA: Sweet Deal on stripped upper and lower set.

Been lots great deals lately, i recently picked up a white label armory forged 7075 upper for 300 and a radical firearms RF15 rifle, for 400. Not sure on availability today and i take it your on a time constraint, so a couple stripped lowers is a small investment to get in under the deadline.

Based on opinions here, and what I'm seeing elsewhere online, it looks like I cannot go wrong buying a couple Aero Lowers. I think that's what I'm going to focus on.
Yep, Aero has been good for me.
Now you have to choose components.
Watch out for junk parts and/or "bling" parts that you may not need or want.
Go for the tried and true stuff.

Another fan of AeroPrecision. B Kings has a great sale on Aero Precision parts right now. They also have awesome savings on Ballistic Advantage barrels. Building an AR is a rewarding experience and easier with the Aero Precision M4E1 lowers.

ETA: Sweet Deal on stripped upper and lower set.
Thank you @PiratePast40! I just spent some money on some really good deals on BA barrels.

Those look like close-out prices.
I would get some rounds through those barrels ASAP to make sure I was happy with them.
I you believe the reviews, BA barrels can be hit or miss.
I agree but cannot pass up a good bargain. I've been planning on accurizing my AR10 with a better barrel and going to give this a try. Couldn't be worse than the el cheapo one on it now.

I agree but cannot pass up a good bargain. I've been planning on accurizing my AR10 with a better barrel and going to give this a try. Couldn't be worse than the el cheapo one on it now.
Not necessarily better though either. But then again, with an extra barrel, you need to build another rifle :s0140:

In Washington if you buy just a lower you don't have to wait the 10 day period correct?

I just did a trade with a member up in Washington and we transferred the lower/frame in Washington to avoid the wait. He walked out with it less than 10 minutes after it was submitted.

Handed him the upper in the parking lot and away he went with a complete gun and no wait time. And as far as I know it's completely legal.
Correct.
I wouldn't buy a complete right now, unless you're separating the lower for the transfer.
If you order something, or try buying a complete evil stick you'll likely be going without.

Buy a couple of fully assembled lower receivers right away. There is only an NICS check right now. If the legislators have their way all ARs will be banned. Order upper receivers, BCGs and any spare parts and while you can buy the lower receivers first since go the your FFL. You need spare cam-pins, firing pins, gas rings and anything else to maintain your AR.

Based on opinions here, and what I'm seeing elsewhere online, it looks like I cannot go wrong buying a couple Aero Lowers. I think that's what I'm going to focus on.
By purchasing from Aero, you are supporting a local WA manufacturer that has skin in the game. ;)

53897D77-E342-4016-9FE3-6167E1C355FB.png

Do I need to buy fully assembled lowers, or can I get by with just a couple lowers for today? Any sense of how this bill will affect the ability to buy components?
You can always come down to Oregon or shoot over to Idaho or Montana for components…

Do I need to buy fully assembled lowers, or can I get by with just a couple lowers for today? Any sense of how this bill will affect the ability to buy components?
Don't worry about components right now, when it gets to that point it will be more of a supply/demand thing as opposed to an oppressive scumbag government BS thing. Get the serial number(s) now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top