JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What would you have done in this instance

• Total voters
UPDATE:
OK Folks, your comments pushed me over the edge. While I am a big fan of allowing small business folks to make good on mistakes, another mistake would possibly mean getting a new slide, and I don't want to deal with the serial number issue.

Velzey has suggested a fix that makes sense, fill the ding and then refinish it with Cerakote. This seems like a better option that the other gunsmith's original idea of filing it down. Even though, after I mentioned derail, he said that might be a good idea, I just don't trust that he isn't trying to fix it quickly and cheaply rather than well.

As soon as I can set it up with Velzey, I'll get the slide to him, have him do the work, and move on from the other gunsmith.

So that dude wanted to fix his FUBAR with a file? :s0154:
What a joke. That ought to tell you something right there.

Yeah, I'm the one who mentioned Durafil insted of filing it with a diamond file as filling it is a better option that taking material off. He agreed that derail was a good option but his default was to take material off, so…. yeah…. I'm done with him. I just needed the weekend to weigh all my options and spending some $$ seems to be the best option to fix his bubblegum-up, rather than letting him try and piece together a crappy solution.

Here's who it was, Les Johnsson at Clark County Gunsmithing.

Again, I think he's a decent gunsmith and maybe this was just a once-off mistake, but his original solution just didn't sit right with me and getting a new slide is not a good option for the reasons brought up in previous posts. So, just be aware that detailed work and aesthetics may not be his forte.

UPDATE:
OK Folks, your comments pushed me over the edge. While I am a big fan of allowing small business folks to make good on mistakes, another mistake would possibly mean getting a new slide, and I don't want to deal with the serial number issue.

Velzey has suggested a fix that makes sense, fill the ding and then refinish it with Cerakote. This seems like a better option that the other gunsmith's original idea of filing it down. Even though, after I mentioned derail, he said that might be a good idea, I just don't trust that he isn't trying to fix it quickly and cheaply rather than well.

As soon as I can set it up with Velzey, I'll get the slide to him, have him do the work, and move on from the other gunsmith.

Serial number is on the slide? What type of pistol is it? I have never seen a serial number in any other location than the frame.

Jack

Serial number is on the slide? What type of pistol is it? I have never seen a serial number in any other location than the frame.

Jack

Here's what HK sent me:
"Tim, unfortunately the slide cannot be repaired. The only choice would be to replace the slide. As a side note, any replacement slide would not have the same serial number as the the frame and barrel.

HK Customer Service Team
5675 Transport Blvd.
Columbus, GA 31907
Tel: (706) 568-1906 ext 6551
Fax: (706) 568-9151
www.hk-usa.com"

Just going with what HK tells me.

UPDATE:
Slide is disassembled (except for the sights) and with Velzey. He's going to fill in the nick/dent with metal (TIG) and cerakote the slide. Plus side, I get the slide Cerakoted, it's my carry gun, so a little hardiness to the finish of the gun will go a long way.

I'll post pics in a couple of weeks, when it's finished. Going camping for the rest of the week, guess I'll have to carry the PX4 Storm 45. :)

Just how soft is the metal in a HK slide? Did the "gunsmith" use an air impact wrench on the sight pusher to force it into the slide like that? If he was turning it by hand he should have known how much pressure needed to be applied to move a sight and stopped before it ever got to the point of creating that indentation! Go check out some of the insane torture tests that people do to Glocks and you don't see that type of damage.

Just how soft is the metal in a HK slide? Did the "gunsmith" use an air impact wrench on the sight pusher to force it into the slide like that? If he was turning it by hand he should have known how much pressure needed to be applied to move a sight and stopped before it ever got to the point of creating that indentation! Go check out some of the insane torture tests that people do to Glocks and you don't see that type of damage.
Yeah, it's pretty amazing. He used a sight pusher, those things can put 1000+lbs of pressure on the slide depending on the size of the ratchet-handle you use. I just think he didn't pay attention to the alignment before cranking. Really piss-poor work in my opinion.

if it were me i would have either bought a new slide and sent him the bill or calmly let him know that this is not okay and that you feel you should not have to pay for it. i am a professional automotive technician for a GM dealership (i know some dealers get a bad rep but our dealer gets it right or we make it right) and if i left a car in worse condition than it came to me i would own that mistake and we would make it right. although,there are some customers that no matter what you cannot make happy. try not to be one of those guys.

fyi when i installed my trijicons on my glock i put my slide in a bench vise between two wood paint mixing sticks and used a steel punch with a spent 22lr brass on the end of it to drive the sight out then back in. centered it with a vernier caliper. for the front sight i ground down a snap-on socket until it fit the front sight screw. no need for sight pusher or front sight tool.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top