JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am not sure what section I should be posting this in since it is loosely related to firearms. I will put it here in the "off topic" section for now.

I am facing a bit of a dilemma. Everyone knows I love my firearms and I support the 2A. There are very few things that would ever make me give up my guns and nothing that would ever make me feel being an unarmed populace is a good idea.

That being said, we are wanting to adopt. I am at an age where I know it is now or never. I am 43 years old and I do not was to be 60 and have no children or grandchildren. I feel so strongly about this that I am even considering selling my business and becoming a stay at home dad (my partner makes good money and his job provides excellent medical coverage so it makes sense I should be the one to give up my job).

One thing that might be an obstacle in the adoption process is my gun collection. A consultant we spoke to says a gun or two safely stored in the house might not be an issue but a large collection might raise red flags. Since we will be adopting an older child (6-10) from the state system we know there will be emotional issues that will require a great deal of work. She went as far as to say "are you willing to loose a child over this simply for the principle?" The truth is, I do not think I am willing to lose my chance at being a father just to have 50+ guns in the house. I think I could easily settle for 5-6 guns securely locked in a safe in my bedroom and a carry gun that never left my body except to go into the safe. I feel it would be worth it to be a father. I can always buy more guns later when he is older and ours legally and I do plan to keep a few around to expose him in a very safe and controlled environment to the fun of marksmanship and the importance of protecting yourself, your loved ones, and your country.

I would love to hear some opinions on this from other parents.

Just think of all the toys you can buy for the kid once you sell off your collection. Or at least fund a really good college saving plan.

Guns are a great investment and lots of fun but the commitment to a kid is a much bigger commitment. If you are serious about adopting then getting rid of the guns isn't going to be a problem.

I suspect the system does not look kindly on 2A advocates. Not a lot of 2A types are attracted to social services work. You will just have to navigate the system as best you can. I'm pretty sure you will have lots of hoops to jump through in your process as dealing with government agencies is never a simple process.

I hope it goes smoothly for you.

Put the guns in the basement in a safe. Buy a large non gun safe and store them in there. When asked, I own a business and have a lot of cash on hand.

Don't ask, don't tell?

Tip the safe on its side, put a table cloth over it and call it a table. Or put it right next to the bed, put a lamp on it and call it an end table.

Either way my son is the joy of my life and i would give up most, but not all of my guns for him.

If you want to get rid of the guns let me know, i will offer you ridiculously low prices for them. Or help you sell them on consignment at the gun shows.

Personally when asked i wouldn't tell them you have guns. It isn't any of their business.

Sounds like you are on the right track, just the fact that you're flexible enough to ditch the guns and adjust is a good sign. It sucks that guns are a qualifier in adoption but..... that's the rules/guidelines.
Your consideration to adopt an older child is one cool thing, one **** of an investment but very cool. The challenges that come with early life dysfunction are many but the rewards for the family and child will be tremendous.

Put the guns in the basement in a safe. Buy a large non gun safe and store them in there. When asked, I own a business and have a lot of cash on hand.

Don't ask, don't tell?

Tip the safe on its side, put a table cloth over it and call it a table. Or put it right next to the bed, put a lamp on it and call it an end table.

Either way my son is the joy of my life and i would give up most, but not all of my guns for him.

If you want to get rid of the guns let me know, i will offer you ridiculously low prices for them. Or help you sell them on consignment at the gun shows.

Personally when asked i wouldn't tell them you have guns. It isn't any of their business.
With adoption everything is an open book, don't ask....they will ask about everything. It's better to be honest with all inquiries if you plan to be successful in obtaining adoption approval.

With adoption everything is an open book, don't ask....they will ask about everything. It's better to be honest with all inquiries if you plan to be successful in obtaining adoption approval.

I have never adopted and had no idea. I agree that you are on the right track if you are willing to give something you love up for something else you will love. It is a good sign.

I hope you get to keep your guns, and you get the child that you want, and who needs someone like you.

We watched some of the videos of kids that are waiting for adoption yesterday. I was in tears after just a few minutes. To see a 6 yr old tell the interviewer that he would choose "a home of my own" if he could wish for anything is so sad. There was one little boy that was 8 yrs old who loved Star Wars, comic books, drawing, and playing monopoly that I just wanted to take home right away.

PBP, I must say I admire what you are doing. There are so many kids out there that face a real uphill climb in life because of bad decisions by their parents or unforseen circumstances that are crying out for someone to help show them the right way or just listen to them.

I hope it works out well for you.

This was not something that came up in either of our adoptions, albeit they were not through the state system. The state is likely to have certain requirements to ensure what they consider safe placement. Obviously when you are submitting to this process you are not in a position to debate any such requirements. As others note, the indescribable awe and willingness to sacrifice for your child/children really trumps our personal wants. Adoption is not a particularly expeditious process, so you have time to plan for this. I wish a lot of people went through such a process before they have kids biologically!

How feasible is it to store your firearms in their safes at another trustworthy location outside your home? This might give you the time to grow your family and decide when and how/whether you introduce your child to firearms.

Best of luck in the process.

J
I suspect the system does not look kindly on 2A advocates. Not a lot of 2A types are attracted to social services work. You will just have to navigate the system as best you can. I'm pretty sure you will have lots of hoops to jump through in your process as dealing with government agencies is never a simple process.

I hope it goes smoothly for you.

I've heard a lot of negative things about Oregon DHS during my 20 years here-negligence resulting in deaths(see here) and most recently about the Baby Gabriel case and the Canadian kid whose mother is fighting to have him returned to Canada.

But like the above quote says, DHS likely would definitely not look too favorably on your gun collection-given their reputation as being notoriously "PC"(hope you appreciate the irony here with the above paragraph).

Given this, I personally would not have been as open as you have been about your adoption plans on a public forum like this. But, you are obviously good intentioned and want to do right for your prospective adopted child.

Although you may have to give up a few dozen:D or so of your guns, I think, at least in this super liberal county, your particular circumstances will actually work in your favor toward your adoption goals.

Would it be possible to "sell them" to a family member for future buy back ? I've seen posted pics of your collection, WOW ! But if it came down to it and geting rid of them was my only choice, A child is well worth the smile he/she will put on your face. Good luck & best wishes, fatherhood is an AWESOME thing ! :s0155:

It's really a shame some of the loops we make people jump through simply to give a child a home :(

I really hope you can come to terms with whatever you need to, and I hope if you do decide to sell the collection and adopt that everything will go smoothly and quickly for you and everyone involved. Best of luck :)

It's really a shame some of the loops we make people jump through simply to give a child a home :(

I really hope you can come to terms with whatever you need to, and I hope if you do decide to sell the collection and adopt that everything will go smoothly and quickly for you and everyone involved. Best of luck :)

Thanks, we have our first session of our foster care to adopt training on monday of next week.

Thanks, we have our first session of our foster care to adopt training on monday of next week.

I've fostered two children, ultimately adopting one of them. I've gone through the classes and nowhere were guns an issue. You both will get fingerprinted and there is a criminal background check but IMO, gun ownership, won't come up. Is this concern based on a discussion you had with the state? or just :s0131:
And to paraphrase what 1911 posted...you would give your life for the child.

Will

OH...p.s.:)

I think I could easily settle for 5-6 guns securely locked in a safe in my bedroom and a carry gun that never left my body except to go into the safe. I feel it would be worth it to be a father. I can always buy more guns later when he is older and ours legally and I do plan to keep a few around to expose him in a very safe and controlled environment to the fun of marksmanship and the importance of protecting yourself, your loved ones, and your country.

I think your above statement is right on. I wish you good luck! Being a father is worth getting rid of the guns. I'd give up all of mine for my children if I had to in a second! I love my kids!!!! :)

A side note. If your going to adopt 1..might as well make it 2. Having 2 boys or 2 girls at the same age or close to it makes life easier and funner for them both and for you and your wife. Just a thought.

At 42 I would say so far I have had pretty full and rewarding life. I have been a Soldier, Mountaineer, Firefighter/EMT, Semi-Pro Paintballer, and a Fisherman on the Bering Sea.

At 39 my Daughter was born and my whole life changed. Nothing I have ever done in my life compares to being a Dad. It is the best thing ever and I guarantee you will have no regrets getting rid of your gun collection.

I wish you luck on the adoption.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top