JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm trying to simplify my pistol powder stock and buy in 8lb jugs, I'll probably end up with the same amount of powder just in fewer, bigger containers. To that end I'm using Accurate arms powders #7, & #9 in my 10mm and 45 Colt. I'm wanting to switch my 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 auto over to AA#5. I think the #7 will be good in the 357's but haven't tried it yet. Any thoughts, insights, or issues I should be aware of? Got a pet load you want to share? Inquiring minds and all that.......

I'm a fan of AA powders. For 9 & 45 #5 will work but if not loaded near the top end will be very dirty (uburnt powder). I've used # 5 in 9, 45 & 357.

True Blue & Silhouette are also very good powders.

I don't give load data on the web as there are too many variables involved including COAL, bullet type, etc.

To add data, I shoot 124gr RN's in the 9mm, 180gr TC's in the 10 & 40 cals, 180gr TC's in the 357's, 225gr. TC's in the 45 Auto, and 255gr SWC's in the 45 Colt. All bought in bulk from T&B Bullets.

I load both 9mm and 38 Special. My favorite powder is WSF. It works well in both calibers and can also be loaded in plus p or 357 mag. I have a handful of other pistol powders that I picked up when powder was in short supply but WSF is my go to powder and has been available. I have enough powder stockpiled and try to replace a jug of WSF as I use it. I use an RCBS lockout die and it is a pain re-calibrating it every time I change powders. I also have two heads which are completely set up for 9mm and 38 Spec, so all I have to do is switch heads. I hardly ever load 357, just enough for defense purposes. It gobbles up the powder and the brass costs twice as much. Besides, it's a lot safer to shoot the 38's in a GP100. I do re-calibrate the dies from 38 to 357 but not very often. It costs over a hundred dollars to buy the head, dies and powder measure for a different caliber for my Lee Classic Turret. That lockout die is an expensive rascal but well worth it. I have about 20 lbs of powder stockpiled and over 600 lbs of lead. I was getting a five gallon bucket of wheel weights for 25 dollars but then I think the owner of the tire shop realized he was screwing himself and the source dried up. I wish I would have bought more when I had the chance. I am trying to increase my primer stockpile. I only have about 4000 right now. It seems like something like tires or a swamp cooler for the house keep getting in the way. I could also use a few thousand more piece of brass.

I use #5 for 9, 38special +p and 45 acp
#7 for 40, 400 corbon and was doing it for 357sig but now like #9 better.
#9 for 357mag and have tried #7 but have not found a load I like better.
In the streamline theme I tried #5 in 40 and 357sig and did not stay with it.
5 and 7 seem to have close data so it has always been a feel with accuracy.

Funny, I just worked up a load for .357 for my GP100 6" with AA#7 and xtp. I was surprised how loud it was. It had a real sharp crack and recoil. It wasn't bad no signs of overpressure, it just had plenty of oomph. Accuracy was best at the bottom end of the workup. I'm going to do some tweaking and chrony work I think it's a load worth pursuing. Very clean and complete burn.

Not always accurate. But I try to stick to AA2230 for 223. Titegroup for 9 and 38. Unique for 38, 357. RL15 for 308.

Those I buy in 8 pounders usually when available.

1 pounders I usually only get if I'm trying something different. Or if it's for s round I load small amounts of like 10mm.

So far so good, #7 works very well with180gr bullets in both the 10mm and .357. I made some high end 9mm XTP's with #7 powder and they shot well but I'll only make a few of those once in a while due to the cost of the projectiles. I use the #9 in full house JHP's in the 10mm, .357 mag and 45 Colt with good results but again only keep 100 of each on hand due to projectile costs. I've still got a few Lbs of ETR-7 to use up in the 9mm, 40 S&W and 45ACP and then can dive into the AA#2 and AA#5 powders, finishing my powder conversions.

I have used all the Accurate pistol no. Powders over the years, 2, 5, 7 and 9 all worked well for their intended purpose. No. 2 for light target loads in .38 Spec., 9mm and .357 Mag; No. 5 for mid to upper range loads in same, very versatile. No. 7 OK for mid to upper range 9mm and .357 and No.9 very good for full house .357 and .44 Mag loads while being more flexible than H-110/296 loads. I quit using them when they became impossible to find. I may go back to them when I exhaust my current supply of replacements, if they are still available. If I was to buy one powder to load .38 Spec, 9mm. .357Mag. and .45 ACP, Accurate No. 5 would be high on the list, along with Universal,
and Power Pistol. I have heard BE-86 is also a good option, but haven't tried it yet.

Funny, I just worked up a load for .357 for my GP100 6" with AA#7 and xtp. I was surprised how loud it was. It had a real sharp crack and recoil. It wasn't bad no signs of overpressure, it just had plenty of oomph. Accuracy was best at the bottom end of the workup. I'm going to do some tweaking and chrony work I think it's a load worth pursuing. Very clean and complete burn.
Never did say I didn't have good loads with #7, just am liking 9 better for 357sig and 357mag.

I have used all the Accurate pistol no. Powders over the years, 2, 5, 7 and 9 all worked well for their intended purpose. No. 2 for light target loads in .38 Spec., 9mm and .357 Mag; No. 5 for mid to upper range loads in same, very versatile. No. 7 OK for mid to upper range 9mm and .357 and No.9 very good for full house .357 and .44 Mag loads while being more flexible than H-110/296 loads. I quit using them when they became impossible to find. I may go back to them when I exhaust my current supply of replacements, if they are still available. If I was to buy one powder to load .38 Spec, 9mm. .357Mag. and .45 ACP, Accurate No. 5 would be high on the list, along with Universal,
and Power Pistol. I have heard BE-86 is also a good option, but haven't tried it yet.

2 thumbs up on the Power Pistol.

I've finalized my 357 load to one made with AA#7, I have 2 357's and this load works well in both while the AA#9 shot a little better in the GP-100 over the security six. Looks like the go to load in the 10mm is the one with the AA#9 and a 180gr TC bullet.

I'm not as up on my AA powders as I am hodgdon, what I can tell you most certainly is that Titegroup easily covers 9mm, .40, .45ACP, .45Colt and .38spl. However for 10mm, you're going to want something more "magnum" like HS6 (WC540) which also works well in 9mm, .40 and .45ACP, but doesn't work as well in .38spl, or .45 Colt.

Now, if you take this information, and cross-reference it with a burn-rate chart of AA powders, this may give you some indication of where to start looking. http://www.reloadersnest.com/burnrates.asp

As someone else said, I think AA#5 is a bit slow for most of your uses. Looking at the chart, it's after HP-38, which has a tendency to burn dirty unless pushed somewhat hard. The burn rate chart lists AA#2 as just after Titegroup. In looking at the AA (western) data, AA#2 looks to be a better choice for your 9mm and .45ACP and will also cover .45Colt, however for 10mm, you're going to be using AA#5, which can also back-fill your .45Colt and if you load some magnum 9mm or .45ACP loads. So those two powders will do a very good job of covering your needs.

In order to get the performance I want AA#9 is my powder of choice for my 10mm, 180gr TC at 1300 fps, #7 is working well in .357 pushing a 180tc to about 1100Fps. For the 45 Colt I've tried both the #9 & 7 but still prefer W-296 pushing a 255SWC to 1100fps. As you can tell I'm not down loading my loads, if I want to shoot a lighter load I'll use a smaller caliber. I'm very pleased with the results so far getting very accurate hard hitting loads that aren't unpleasant to shoot. All three of these loads just flat throw the bowling pins off the table right now! I haven't worked through the semi autos with the AA powders #2 and 5 but when I do I'm thinking I'll start with #2 for the 45acp and #5 for the 9s and 40 cals.

Last Edited:
I'm done with my testing and it's as I thought AA#2 is by far the best 45acp powder and #5 is awesome in 9mm and 40 S&W. All loads near the top end, cases are clean, primers not too flattened and drop in a nice little pile all loads have a SD of 10fps or below. I did go with the 155gr SWC's in 40 S&W running those at 1100 fps.

On my chronograph besides the actual speed of each shot for each group it will tell me the high, low, AVerage, Extreme Spread, and Standard Deviation. SD being the +/- variation from the mean data point.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top