JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
(1)I highly doubt anyone would care about the old AMT models.

They are long out of production now. When the Co was making them they had a bad reputation for letting out too many problems. As I mentioned earlier they did of course make a lot of guns that worked or they would never have been in business for as long as they were. Both of the first style .380s I had worked fine. The S/A version like I had were famous for the trigger. Many new shooters would at first think the safety was still on the trigger was so heavy. They did fire and feed fine. You can't crank out nothing but problems and still sell for years. AMT and the operation they had before they changed the name was early to the game of making guns in a Stainless Steel alloy.

(2)There was a lot of growing problems when they were doing this. figuring out what would work, and how to make it work.

(3)The original .380 Backups were at the time standouts due to being stainless. So was the 1911's they made, damn things looked nice.

(4)Of course many soon found out the kind of Stainless used to make these did rust if not cared for.

(5)They made some clones of the Ruger .22 but the patent had long expired by then so anyone could do that.

(6)In the end it was the poor QC that made them give up.

(7)They made some interesting stuff that to this day has collectors searching for them but not the different Back Ups.
I doubt you could ruffle anyone who still owns one of the guns they made after this long ;)

1. Sooooo not true. I take offense to that statement. That is like saying that no one is searching for the old Colt's because they are so old. ;)

2. THIS is true. They were making pistols that were new to the market. All of the back-ups, in all of the calibers they offered, and all of the other "full size" semi-auto's too. Every single one was new to the market, never offered before.

3. It wasn't just the .380's. Once those back-ups hit the market they were on to making/designing it in 9mm, 38 SUPER, 40 cal, 45ACP, 357SIG and a 400 CORBON. Yes, all in a "back-up". The 45ACP being real popular for the police as a back-up.

4. I have never seen a rusted one. Fishermen used to love to carry them on their fishing boats because the didn't rust.

5. Ruger did sue Harry Sanford (AMT's owner) and won a multi-million dollar lawsuit. That was one of the final nails in AMT's coffin.

6. QC may have had something to do with it, but it was the lawsuit, and banks/investors pulling their money after the lawsuit.

7. I am still searching for 2 elusive back-ups. ;)

Now, back to the original thread......????? :D ;)

4. I have never seen a rusted one. Fishermen used to love to carry them on their fishing boats because the didn't rust.

The problem with statements like this are many just take it at face value and believe it. Now days it's real simple to search the net for it, the stainless alloy used for these guns does rust. Now I guess if someone takes someones word for it and then finds their gun rusted? Well they had the truth easily available to them. Pictures of what happens to stainless used for firearms are easy to find. The problem when someone makes statement like this makes me suspect anything they say. <shrug>

7. I am still searching for 2 elusive back-ups.

Again the auction has a page full of them just today. So they seem to be about as elusive as they are rust proof <shrug>

You might be right. That statement did sound like i was referring to "all fishermen". I do personally know 3 who carried the Hardballer's on their boats specifically because (and i quote) "They didn't rust". One is my uncle who lives in Alaska and has a fishing boat. The other is a "Gun Maker" that lived here in Battle Ground area (who passed away last year). The 3rd is a guy who does contract work for me. He lives in a house boat on the Columbia in PDX off Marine Drive. He still has his on his boat. I have still never seen a rusted one in ~20 years of collecting these.

You're right, it did sound like i was referring to "all fishermen". I guess i mistyped, similar to your statement "highly doubt anyone would care for the old AMT models." There are a lot of us out there.

You are also right about a BUNCH of them on the auction site, even today. I saw one 400 CORBON for auction about 5 years ago. Couldn't be in on the final bidding as i had pressing matters at the time. I have NEVER seen a 357 SIG for auction.

Then again, i may be just blowing smoke.....

Alexx1401 & AMT. this is again off subject but I just have to share. I found this many years ago in the back of an old, "Shotgun News" (anyone remember those days?!). I ordered one right away, because I had never seen one before and it reminded me of the old Browning Medalist (which I couldn't afford at the time - now I have one!), with the vent rib, bull barrel, etc. This thing will shoot, shot for shot with my Medalist, and that is saying a lot! I still haven't seen another and I even have the old advertising piece for it, that was issued by AMT. It is the, AMT Lightning Bulls Eye Target!

20161011-155747-zps9djohupl.jpg

20161011-160241-zpsbrqli36b.jpg

20161011-155759-zpsj0rxv6p2.jpg

20161011-160409-zpspt1oybhb.jpg

Oh yeah... I had the awesome, fairly local guys at Herrett's make me a custom fit Target Grip!

Sorry about the hijacking!

Earlier the woman came in and asked what I was laughing about; I was seeing this this thread again and I explain to her what is this slang "Keester Bunny" @No_Regerts said. She seemed a trifled irked, then I reminded her of the news story from some years ago of the woman who hid a revolver in her, well, coño, to sneak into some kind penal facility. That was the final straw and she, annoyed, left the home office. Oh well, I try to be informative. :p

All this and nobody mentioning the KGB rectal pistol?
Seriously have known about this one for years. About the only firearm you would never want to purchase used.

All this and nobody mentioning the KGB rectal pistol?
Seriously have known about this one for years. About the only firearm you would never want to purchase used.

Would give new meaning to the expression "explosive diarrhea". :eek:

So, I am looking for an ultra small automatic for deep concealment. That would be a very little pistol that fits into pocket carry in khaki pants. (Can't be any other carry like IWB, ankle, shoulder, etc.) On that note, does anyone know what is the smallest, dimension-wise, automatic produced in recent years. By recent, say, 1970s to the present. (I'm excluding the tiny autos made in the First World War and interwar periods because that vintage would be too dated.) Key points are:

• Absolutely smallest available.
  • Something in the .22LR, .25 ACP, and .32 ACP range, with a strong preference for centerfire. (Not excluding the "weirder" calibers like .25 NAA and .32 NAA.)
  • Weight isn't a huge consideration, because anything that small can't weight much.
Thanks for any ideas.

P.S. I seem to recall one of my deceased family members used to carry a tiny Bernardelli, but I don't know much about them. PSA also makes a little one, but it isn't cheap, and I don't know much about them. I do already have a Keltec P-32, that with the small mag is very compact, and it runs great, but figured I'd look for something even more micro.
I used to have a nice little pistol that I inherited from my mother. It was so small I was afraid of dropping it somewhere and not realizing I'd lost it. It was a Beretta 950 Jetfire in .25 ACP:
beretta_25_jetfire.jpg

So, I am looking for an ultra small automatic for deep concealment. That would be a very little pistol that fits into pocket carry in khaki pants. (Can't be any other carry like IWB, ankle, shoulder, etc.) On that note, does anyone know what is the smallest, dimension-wise, automatic produced in recent years. By recent, say, 1970s to the present. (I'm excluding the tiny autos made in the First World War and interwar periods because that vintage would be too dated.) Key points are:

• Absolutely smallest available.
  • Something in the .22LR, .25 ACP, and .32 ACP range, with a strong preference for centerfire. (Not excluding the "weirder" calibers like .25 NAA and .32 NAA.)
  • Weight isn't a huge consideration, because anything that small can't weight much.
Thanks for any ideas.

P.S. I seem to recall one of my deceased family members used to carry a tiny Bernardelli, but I don't know much about them. PSA also makes a little one, but it isn't cheap, and I don't know much about them. I do already have a Keltec P-32, that with the small mag is very compact, and it runs great, but figured I'd look for something even more micro.
Many argue with me on this point, but none have proven me wrong....The Baby Browning....AKA Colt 1908 vest pocket...aka F/N 1905....aka Colt Junior....aka Bauer Automaic / Fraser-25....All of these are the same design, or very very similar.
Unfortuneately, none are in production any longer, but still permeate the used market pretty heavily.
Do a little research and you'll see. Except for the Kolibri 2.7, these are the tiniest of pistols.

1570425942148.png

(counter-clockwise, from top: Taurus PLY25, Kel-tec P32, Steyr Pieper and a Baby Browning)

Dean

NOTE: I may be wrong about the gun being out of production. The .25 acp Browning design may still be in production after all. These days, it may be built as a PSA 25.

Last Edited:
Why not try one of the tiny revolvers. For reliability

For me my NAA .22 is slower to fire and more difficult to aim than my colt .25 also the rimfire cartridge is generally considered less reliable than centerfire. Wjth all that said why do I have a NAA .22? Well um er it just looked so lonesome in the case at my LGS... :s0054:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top