JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd imagine a .45 ACP AMT backup would be "spunky" in the recoil department. My father had one of the originals in .380 ACP, it ran fun, but some scuzz stole it when our family was traveling through Nevada.

I'd imagine a .45 ACP AMT backup would be "spunky" in the recoil department. My father had one of the originals in .380 ACP, it ran fun, but some scuzz stole it when our family was traveling through Nevada.
I had a couple of the early .380's they made. The Co had a well earned rep for cranking out problems. Of course a lot of what they made worked or they would not have lasted as long as they did. They did let out way too many problems though. The .45 BU was DA and was famous for a VERY poor trigger to go along with the other problems.

re: "The .45 BU was DA and was famous for a VERY poor trigger to go along with the other problems."

I had an original 380; it was 'sort of OK'; almost accurate at 15', almost reliable enough to get through 1 maybe 2 magazines, almost worth what it cost; a buddy couldn't live without it so he walked away with it;

Replacement was the the 45 BU; one of the most horrid examples of piss poor design/execution/qualityNONcontrol; and I drove 100 miles to buy one.

The 'Arnold Swartzenegger 100# training trigger' was the least of its
failures. The gun was SO bad, after 3 weeks struggling with it, I returned it to the place of purchase, which literally was closed down by the BATF within hours of when I returned it.

Seecamp is probably the smallest semi-auto currently in production. The old Baby Brownings (and copies) might have been smaller, not sure though, however the Seecamp's DAO trigger probably makes it the faster, safer option compared to most of those older pocket .25's anyways. Those old guns tend to be single action and safeties on such tiny are usually not very ergonomic nor quick/easy to operate with normal-sized hands. Some probably aren't all that safe carry with loaded chambers in any case (in fact some were down right dangerous). So if I had to have the tiniest practical semi-auto, Seecamp would be the way to go. They come in .25, .32, and .380, all in virtually the same dimensions, with only the .380 having a slightly wider grip.

Sorry to ruffle so many feathers about the AMT Backup! I kinda dig my little .380 with the mag extensions (I have a large hand). Very reliable, perhaps I got one of the good ones! I am also an AMT Fan Boy owning several and one is a fantastic and rare Target pistol based on the Ruger Mark's. I think these later ended up in a legal battle.

Sorry to ruffle so many feathers about the AMT Backup! I kinda dig my little .380 with the mag extensions (I have a large hand). Very reliable, perhaps I got one of the good ones! I am also an AMT Fan Boy owning several and one is a fantastic and rare Target pistol based on the Ruger Mark's. I think these later ended up in a legal battle.

I don't think any feathers were ruffled. It's true, AMT's had some reliability issues. I have MANY that run just fine, where others call "Junk", "POS", "...had one years ago and got rid of it...", etc, etc, etc.

This can be true for an other firearms too. "Bad ones" seem to get the most "airtime" and that is what people remember.

IE: I have a KetTec PMR30. Eats anything i feed it. Me and a friend bought ours at the same time, the serial numbers are 3 digits apart. His won't cycle 2 consecutive rounds. He has voiced his opinion, along with many others on the 'net. General consensus? "KelTec PMR's are junk".

If you, or anyone you know, that have any of these POS's, I'll give you $50 for it (so you can "get rid of it"). Hey $50 is better than it taking up space, and causing you "hate and discontent", right? ;)

This is a true story. I once had a guy get rejected at booking because the body scanner found a "inconsistent density" in and around the rectum. Took dude to the ER as per procedure. He had a 5-Hour Energy up there.

Dude is serious about his caffeine! The folks at 5 hour should hire him as their spokesman.

No ruffled feathers here either! I was just wondering if the average Backup pistol had reliability issues, or if my friend back in the day just got a bad one. I had an AMT Lightening copy of the 10/22 when I was younger back in the early '90s. I foolishly sold it, and have many times wished I hadn't. It was a nice rifle.

I highly doubt anyone would care about the old AMT models. They are long out of production now. When the Co was making them they had a bad reputation for letting out too many problems. As I mentioned earlier they did of course make a lot of guns that worked or they would never have been in business for as long as they were. Both of the first style .380s I had worked fine. The S/A version like I had were famous for the trigger. Many new shooters would at first think the safety was still on the trigger was so heavy. They did fire and feed fine. You can't crank out nothing but problems and still sell for years. AMT and the operation they had before they changed the name was early to the game of making guns in a Stainless Steel alloy. There was a lot of growing problems when they were doing this. figuring out what would work, and how to make it work. The original .380 Backups were at the time standouts due to being stainless. So was the 1911's they made, damn things looked nice. Of course many soon found out the kind of Stainless used to make these did rust if not cared for. They made some clones of the Ruger .22 but the patent had long expired by then so anyone could do that. In the end it was the poor QC that made them give up. They made some interesting stuff that to this day has collectors searching for them but not the different Back Ups. I doubt you could ruffle anyone who still owns one of the guns they made after this long ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top