JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks tac,
I had to look that one up. Kind of like a Trapdoor Springfield, only the breech block swings off to the side, rather than flip up. Someone was always building a better mouse trap. :)

Capn Jack, Jacob Lee Snider was an American inventor whose take on a cheap conversion using as many parts of the original arm was a tad cheaper than anybody else's was just one of the many american gadgeteers of the time. Here in Europe, Werndl did the same thing to the Austro-Hungarian muskets, and as for the trap-door Springfield, well, we all know that it was just a comma and hyphen away from the French Tabatiére.

That Snider, as you probably read, was taken up by Canada - both of mine are family guns - and they never got the Martini of 'Zulu!' movie fame. But the Snider found its place of honour in the middle east, and the Egyptian Army, led by British officers, played merry hell with the Khedives and sundry other locals in a series of VERY unpleasant little wars. And Afghanistan, too...

If the Snider has caught your attention, take a look at pal Rob in BC and his truly magnificent Youtube channel - britishmuzzleloaders - everything you could ever want to know about the Victorian British army and its guns can be found there - in uniform, too!

Here is my three-band rifle - note that is a three groove rifled barrel and not the five groove of of the short rifle.

1604832121999.png

This one was issued to the 11th Infantry Battalion of the Welland & Lincoln county militia and saw active service in the last of the 'Fenian Raids' into Canada by American government-backed loons. On June 1, 1866, the Irish Fenian raid of Canada launched a three-pronged invasion with the goal of capturing Québec and making it the seat of the Irish Republic-in-exile.

Yeah, right.

Unusually, this one has the DC in diamond stamp on BOTH sides of the stock...
1604832580880.png

Bore is also good.
1604832680342.png

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class