JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
P.S.-My statement about WA folk was merely a fun stab back at speedtriple's People's Republic of Portland comment. Anyone that really believes a river separating 2 parts of 1 metropolitian area could create 2 different "types" of people are out of their mind. Did I mention that Camas stinks? Kip.

I'm pretty much with you on the PDX gunshops. They have deteriorated over the years and now it is just the price leaders that attract me with the exception of about three shops. My excuse for living in Oregon is that I was born and raised here and have lived here with the exception of college and the military. Sorry to hear about your back.

I am looking at trying to open/start a gun shop when I retire from the Army in a few years. Would like to put it in the Vancouver/Washougal area since that is pretty much home for us. So what I am looking for is information/opinions on this. I know assembly, maintenance and repair of military weapons quite well.... civilian/sporting weapons not quite as well. So my question(s) are this:
1.) I want to get to the point where I can manufacture my own AR platform weapons for sale... how much of a demand is there for that style weapon in the PNW?
2.) How is the gun market in general in the Vancouver area? Is there alot of competition?
3.) I train ALOT of people in my current job on weapons handling, safety and marksmanship... is there much of a market for training of that kind in the Vancouver area?
4.) What kind of training/schooling does the public consider standard/necessary/required for a reputable gun shop owner/operator to have?

I suppose I should stop with the questions there before other ones get spawned and this thing goes spinning out of controll.
Any and all answers will be MUCH appriciated and if you have any questions of me dont hesitate to ask!

Thanks,
-Troy-

P.S. I should have been more specific:
4.) what training do I need to get that the public (you folks) consider standard/necessary/required for a reputable gun manufacturer/dealer shop owner/operator to have?

15 year Army Special Operations Vereran, still on Active Duty untill retirement
A little about myself: I grew up near Scotts Mills Oregon and joined the Army in '97 where I served at Fort Bragg NC for over 14 years. I was with the 82nd Airborne Division as an Infantryman from '97 to '01 and then went over to the "Dark Side", U.S. Army Special Forces Command where I still serve as a Special Forces Weapons Sergeant. I married my wife Debbie, a native of Washougal Washington, in '98. She is a WONDERFULL woman who has survived my countless Peace Time and Combat deployments (which are still ongoing) all over the world supporting me without complaint. We have been blessed with 3 beautifull daughters ages from 3, 7 and 11 years old. I am currently stationed in NW Florida and am looking forward to retirement in 5 years and coming HOME to Washington State. I tell ya, the South is nice and all (the people are friendly enough, in their own way) but there's nothing like the Pacific North West!!!

Put it across the street from Keith's in Gresham, OR. You'll do a landslide business with all the people who get ignored across the street.

Well, if you want input.....

First, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! I salute you!

Second, offer a fair product at a fair price. You won't go wrong. Even here, locally, there are huge differences in prices for items around the few shops here in Vanc. Why? I've asked and pretty much been told that I am free to buy it elsewhere if I want.

A previous post mentions that there are people in PDX that offer services, products, etc. The problem is that they are spread around the PDX area. I'm in Vancouver and would LOVE to see something like you are mentioning here locally. I like spending my $$$ at local and "little shops".

Offer a fair product at a fair price and you'll be suprised at how quick it'll spread around the area.

My 2-cents and we'll be looking for that new shop in 5 years (or so)!

More than likely your biggest issue will be coming up with the capital to buy enough guns have a large enough inventory. Plan on spending $100-200k to have a decent inventory, considerably more if you want if you want to be one of the bigger stores with good prices.

There is a small store in Washougal right now, haven't been in there but I've heard prices are not that great.

I graduated from Washougal and live in Camas, great area just not sure if another gun store is needed at this time.

Well, if you want input.....

First, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! I salute you!

Second, offer a fair product at a fair price. You won't go wrong. Even here, locally, there are huge differences in prices for items around the few shops here in Vanc. Why? I've asked and pretty much been told that I am free to buy it elsewhere if I want.

A previous post mentions that there are people in PDX that offer services, products, etc. The problem is that they are spread around the PDX area. I'm in Vancouver and would LOVE to see something like you are mentioning here locally. I like spending my $$$ at local and "little shops".

Offer a fair product at a fair price and you'll be suprised at how quick it'll spread around the area.

My 2-cents and we'll be looking for that new shop in 5 years (or so)!

Brightwater Ventures sounds like your kind of place:s0155:

+1 on Brightwater. I go there quite often (whenever I'm over in that neck of the woods). True, Camas and Washougal are small. Competition would be tough. I've hoped that somehting in the Salmon Creek area would come soon. I keep waiting.... :cigar: The closet is Discount Guns in Hazel Dell (further South). Well, we all know about Discount Guns....

I have 2 recommendations:

1) Make purchases as seamless as possible for people on both sides of the river. Maybe this means a small "pickup business" licensed in Oregon that's only open one day a week for deliveries of stuff that was previously viewed in Washington. maybe contract with an Oregon shop. You deliver their Washington customers, they deliver Oregon customers. The other shop is your "competition", but it could be worked out. All I'm saying is that the border is transparent for everything except guns. Make it transparent for guns.

2) Sponsor a competitor. There aren't any spectators at shooting matches, but having a shooter doing well with one of your guns is something to brag about, and a good excuse for a free press release. It doesn't have to cost too much either. In the motorcycle world the "cost +10" racer gets all their parts and gear at 10% over wholesale. This is super cheap on all the smaller stuff and doesn't hurt the shop much.

Thanks for all the great replies on here folks, it is greatly appriciated. These responses will -hopefully- help create what is really needed and wanted by the people who live here.

On another note----- I will be "out of the net" for the next few months but I will try my best to check back as often as I can....... Internet access might not be available where I am headed to. :) I will return sometime in the fall though so I will start hitting you folks up again around that time and let you know that I am back.
Look for me and be good all!

-Troy-

With the credentials of an 18B have you ever thought about creating a shop that also offers training? A lot of shops sell tactical firearms, but I dont know of one store that has an experienced operator running the place that could offer practical training. A combination of a school-house that sells guns, or a gun store that offers training would be a relatively new concept (to me at least).
Plently of people buy the coolest new accessroy they saw Chris Costa playing with and have no idea what to do with it besides what they learned from watching youtube, playing video games, or watching movies.
There are obvoulsy plenty of civillian shooting schools available, but mixing the ability to buy a firearm and the ability to learn how to use it is priceless in my mind and being a member of the long-tab club is credibility enough to offer your services in the teaching arena.

Edit: Enjoy the trip, stay safe!

With the credentials of an 18B have you ever thought about creating a shop that also offers training? A lot of shops sell tactical firearms, but I dont know of one store that has an experienced operator running the place that could offer practical training. A combination of a school-house that sells guns, or a gun store that offers training would be a relatively new concept (to me at least).
Plently of people buy the coolest new accessroy they saw Chris Costa playing with and have no idea what to do with it besides what they learned from watching youtube, playing video games, or watching movies.
There are obvoulsy plenty of civillian shooting schools available, but mixing the ability to buy a firearm and the ability to learn how to use it is priceless in my mind and being a member of the long-tab club is credibility enough to offer your services in the teaching arena.

Edit: Enjoy the trip, stay safe!

Nice idea! You know those times when you think "Should I buy 'X' or should I buy 'Y'......." For a fee supply both items and instruct/train. This would provide and oportunity to let people actually handle and use something before actually making the purchase.

+1 bazillion on staying safe!!!

Well, here's some insight. I started my surplus store in October of 2010, right about the time I deployed to Afghanistan. I started with purchasing surplus for swap meets, garage sales, and such small venus in the summer before that. We had a small barn-like building for a year or so, now we're in Andresen Plaza in a warehouse-style building.

I got my FFL this month, and we're getting set up to sell firearms now. Purchasing intial inventory, etc. I'm going to be that shop that the guys here bubblegum about having a small selection, for at least a while.

Bottom line (irnony intended) I sitll haven't had a single month where I haven't put more money into the business than it has grossed. I haven't come within a thousand dollars of breaking even. My only saving grace is that I haven't (yet) had to take a loan.

I would like to do a lot of things the guys on this thread suggest. I'm an NRA-certified instructor. I want to teach firearm safety classes. I've had a hard time getting other instructors who are motivated and personable to get certified. I would LOVE to have at least a single-lane firing range for demos. Good luck getting that in the city. Everything costs way more than you think it will. Rent/leqase costs thousands per month. Just my electricity bill is over a grand a month. I'm not saying this to whine- you asked. you can't really run a shop like this without some hired help. You need to be open early and late and weekends because people have a limited amount of time and very limited budget to shop for stuff like this, and they don't buy it every day.

not only do gun shop employees and owners say a lot of stupid shizzit about firearms, so do customers :) People come up with the most outlandish myths they heard from the great guru of all things that go boom (whoever that may be this week) and insist they're right even though they have never tried it. They hate one firearm and love another. the next guy is the opposite. If you try to point out pros and cons you're either an idiot, a sissy, or an arrogant *** who thinks he knows better than the "experts."

Your neighbours, wherever your store front may be, might freak out and call your landlord to try to get your lease canceled (yes, the Arc of Clark County did this to us, LONG before I even had an FFL.) We've had 3 break-in attempts (the ATF will require multiple methods of security before they issue your license.) You'll need a Class 3 license to even so much as change a stock for someone, according to our local ATF agent, who was otherwise pretty helpful. Youll be out several thousands up front in inventory if you try to set up a store front and people will complain about your limited selection.

But with all that said, I think there's something rewarding about it, and I think it's a vital service that people need. So if that's your dream, go for it and don't let anybody tell you it's not possible. Or you could come work for me, if I don't go bankrupt before then.

Yup, still in Florida :( but that may change Soon (hopefully)! :D we are having one HELL of a time finding the proper medical care for my EFMP daughter here. So I am going through the process of getting paperwork together to at least attempt to be re-assigned to Ft. Lewis. we will see how it goes though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top