JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have decided to give a minimalist type lifestyle a shot. I am a Soldier finishing up my enlistment and have gotten a little used to not owning a bunch of stuff and having a big space. My goal is to own as little as possible. Quality of quantity is high on my list of priorities. The hardest part for me so far has been firearms. There are so damn many and I want them all!! ha why yes a S&W 500 sounds great...hmmm 6.8 Piston AR-15...357 sig, how neat....before I know it I will have 20 guns. Before I joined the Army I had random firearms in various conditions and calibers. I sold them all off and haven't regretted it since I knew I would get more and none of them were particulair rare or special.
I have decided to try to keep it down to just 5. The list and explanations as follows.
1. A good quality semi-auto 308 for all around hunting and shtf. I feel every man should have a Battle rifle/carbine and I spent a chunk fixing up a Garand excatly the way I want it. The added bonus was that it was a gift and has sentimental value.
2. A fullsize .357( I went with a 6" Colt Trooper). 357 is versatile and has a wide variety of bullet weights as well as .38 special. I considered 45 and 10mm but went the wheel gun route.
3. A J-frame 340/360 for carry. Also in 357.
4. A 12g Shotgun.
5. As much as I hate 5.56 I think it has its place. Easy shooting and plentiful. I also have a rediculous amount of time shooting them under my belt and that has value.

I have the first 2 on the list and I am working my way down. I am pretty set on the J-frame but not on the 5.56(it will NOT be direct gas impingement) or the shotgun. Interested in thoughts and suggestions. Keep in mind I will be living in Portland and trying my hand at this College nonsense everyone keeps talking about.

I have a Ruger AR and love it. It uses the piston system and mine has run everything I have fed it 100%. also it comes from Ruger with all the add ons I wanted including three mags. While I can hardly fault your choice onthe J frame, you may want to look at Ruger there too. The LCR in 357 is little less weight as a carry gun. I have a 38 version and love it!

You need a .22lr.

This response came as quick as I thought it would ha and it is valid. The problem I have with .22 is that once I go down that road I have to have a pistol and a rifle...
They are cheap and fun.They are also really smart when you consider a survivalist type situation since you can stock thousands of round without spending a fortune and taking up much space. But I had to draw the line somewhere and as much as it pains me I think 22lr is the line. 5.56 is going to cover 22lr roles for me. As I compromise I have a friend with two boys that are getting to the age where it's time to take them out and educate them on firearms. I may be able to talk him into a couple 22s and borrow them every now and again.

This response came as quick as I thought it would ha and it is valid. The problem I have with .22 is that once I go down that road I have to have a pistol and a rifle...
They are cheap and fun.They are also really smart when you consider a survivalist type situation since you can stock thousands of round without spending a fortune and taking up much space. But I had to draw the line somewhere and as much as it pains me I think 22lr is the line. 5.56 is going to cover 22lr roles for me. As I compromise I have a friend with two boys that are getting to the age where it's time to take them out and educate them on firearms. I may be able to talk him into a couple 22s and borrow them every now and again.

Save a little cash and just get a 22 LR conversion kit for your AR when you get it.

Have the best of both worlds!

I was in the same boat five years ago. A bunch of guns, not one the same caliber

for me:
12G only 870
308 g3 and savage10
45acp 1911 single stack
22lr (to include a gsg 1911-22)
17hmr

for the wife:
20G 870 (her first gun, and we will never get ride of it)
9MM (only becouse her father keeps giving her them)

this is as simple as I can get it

I should as add I have two of everything. If I run a comp I have a back up. If I need to trouble shoot it easier and can rob parts if need be. I have 4 870 12 barrels. the idea there is one reciver can do HD, turkey, trap and deer.

I have a Ruger AR and love it. It uses the piston system and mine has run everything I have fed it 100%. also it comes from Ruger with all the add ons I wanted including three mags. While I can hardly fault your choice onthe J frame, you may want to look at Ruger there too. The LCR in 357 is little less weight as a carry gun. I have a 38 version and love it!

I knew about the .38 version but not the .357. Just got done reading up on it and so far I like what I have read about the LCR in 357. It is a little heavier then I would like but I have no aversion towards the frame being made of plastic. I doubt I would shoot any small 357 enough to wear one out. The trigger sounds nice as well as the grip with a covered back strap. I prefer a small exposed hammer like the one on the 360 M&P but I could live without it. It may come down to which one I can find for a good price. There are a lot of shot little but carried a lot J-frames out there and I prefer used for obvious reasons due to rediculous gun laws.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top