JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Uh yeah. Planning on a 40 mile trip through the snow on quads with a couple of Coleman sleeping bags and a 2 season tent seems absurdly reckless.

It's cool though, yanking you guys out of the woods gives me something to do.;)

Maybe I'm a little naive, but I still don't see how we were being absurdly reckless. There was ample firewood, double the propane we needed for the large tent heater, and we were 1.5 miles off of a major highway. The forecast called for no snow, and lows of 20 degrees. Our tent stayed warm, I had extra clothes that were dry, and more food/water than we needed.

Could we have had better gear? Without a doubt, however, we were never in any danger. Even if two feet of snow came down on us and both quads were buried, we could have made an uncomfortable hike back to the freeway.

Now doing the OBCDR, that is pretty risky stuff. There are times when you are by yourself 100 miles away from the next little town, and there is never any cell service. If you were to break a leg out there you would be in a world of hurt. I've done that twice, and both times been very glad to make it back in one piece.

For the colder camping trips, my wife and I live by this... "bring too much insulation and heating supplies better than not enough":cool:
Even if it means filling the poor car with so much warm gear that it becomes a 2 person vehicle :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing, a enjoyable read for sure.

I've camped in snow before when living in NV and it is extremely enjoyable,but has many many challenges.

One recommendation would be to place pine limbs with good green needles on them on the ground under your tent. You can cut the smaller sections off to avoid a limb in the back during the night, but I usually just try to place the limbs around the perimeter of the tent so that the needle sections are facing inward and outside the tents exterior. This helps a bit to further barrier your back from the cold snow.

Maybe I'm a little naive, but I still don't see how we were being absurdly reckless. There was ample firewood, double the propane we needed for the large tent heater, and we were 1.5 miles off of a major highway. The forecast called for no snow, and lows of 20 degrees. Our tent stayed warm, I had extra clothes that were dry, and more food/water than we needed.

Could we have had better gear? Without a doubt, however, we were never in any danger. Even if two feet of snow came down on us and both quads were buried, we could have made an uncomfortable hike back to the freeway.

Now doing the OBCDR, that is pretty risky stuff. There are times when you are by yourself 100 miles away from the next little town, and there is never any cell service. If you were to break a leg out there you would be in a world of hurt. I've done that twice, and both times been very glad to make it back in one piece.

What if you made it to your intended camp spot and got snowed in? 1.5 miles, ok, no big deal, but even 5 miles in is a bubblegum of a hike through deep snow. Could the old man make it?

I just dont think the backcountry in the winter is the best time to learn as you go. like I said, glad you are good and safe and glad you had a good time.

Nice trip, but do not use an air mattress in winter. The air in it gets to the same temperature as the snow.

Use a foam pad similar this one: (two would be better)
RidgeRest SOLite | Closed-Cell Foam Camping Mattress | Therm-a-Rest

Two of those would work, or one of those and one similar to this one would be more comfortable:
Trail Scout | Self-Inflating Camping Mattress | Therm-a-Rest
The trail-scout has air, but it has a foam core that stops convection so it doesn't transfer your body heat as well as the old air mattresses. They make thick ones which you could carry on an ATV but they're probably more expensive.

If the trail-scout loses air, one foam pad will keep you fairly warm.

Also, you need a good sleeping bag - I recommend a down mummy bag rated for, in your case, probably 0 deg F or colder.
Might find one on ebay, or here in the classifieds or gear forums:
SummitPost.org

Classifieds

Look for a book on snowshoeing or winter camping for gear recommendations.

If you're on a machine, take snow shoes so you can walk out easier if you have to. I'd want a pack and light weight gear (including a tent) that I could carry out in case it was a 2+ day walk out.

If you have to walk out, or work hard your clothes are going to get wet from sweat. Always have extra dry clothes. No cotton - it gets wet and sucks heat out of you. Use synthetics, wool, etc. Wet wool and synthetic will also suck heat out of you, but perhaps a little slower.

Have fun! :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top