JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just came back from a snow camping trip I did with my father. Camping in the snow has been on my want to try list, so I convinced my dad to brave the elements and do an overnight trip in the Mt. Washington wilderness.

The plan was to be dropped off on Saturday morning, ride 20 miles in on the ATVs to a known view point, brake camp for the night, and then meet back up with our ride to head home on Sunday.

Once loaded up on Sat morning, I was worried that there wasn't going to be any snow. Most of it in town was melted, and once we got to the trail head there was only a few inches on the ground. After a few minutes in, it was apparent that there would be plenty of snow to dub this a true snow camping trip. About 2 miles into the ride, I thought we were going to have some serious issues. My quad was bogging down, and it sounded like it wanted to die. My ride is an older machine, and I thought that maybe the carb was having issues with jetting/clogging. I could hear the fan going so I knew the engine had been working harder than it should for such an open and easy trail. I turned the quad off and stepped off the bike.

Immediately I figured out what the issue was. Those few inches of snow had turned into many inches of snow. The axles were buried, and my belly pan was leaving an indent on the snow. Thanking my lucky stars that the bike was not having issues, I decided to keep plowing on, albeit at a slower pace.

Our next leg of the ride was cut shorter than desired once more. This time, my father was leading and had hit deep snow. His bike was stopped in its tracks. Knowing that his newer quad had better ground clearance, and more capability than mine, we decided it would be prudent to explore a different trail than to continue on this path. With minimal winching effort, his bike was free and ready to head in a different direction.
SlYYQUv.jpg
As long as you could stay on top of the snow, our quads would keep going, but if you made a wrong move and the quad broke through the top layer, you were good and stuck. That same situation repeated itself a few more times; the last one resulting in my bike burying itself very deeply in fresh powder, which took quite an effort to free. No amount of winching seemed to help, so we resorted to digging and lifting. At this point we were now pretty good and spent. Digging, lifting, and winching had really taken its tole, and we had only ridden a grand total of 5 miles. On top of that, we came to the realization that our grand plans to make it to the view point, about 20 miles from the drop off zone, had come to a rather abrupt end.
wjCGnzT.jpg

With ample day light, we decided to revisit the sections of the trail we had already explored and find a decent spot to call camp for the night. The wind had picked up, so I wanted to be in area with sufficient tree cover in order to mitigate the wind chill as much as possible. After another 5 miles of riding we finally found our spot, though it was only a whopping 1.5 miles away from the drop off zone.

We used the quads to tamp down the snow in our camping area, then began to unload our gear. I had the foresight to bring a few hours of dry wood, unsure of how much would be available in the area. I wish I had brought more. Thankfully, there were a lot of trees with dead lower limbs. The only problem was getting them meant slugging through 2-3 feet of snow for a couple hundred yards, only to end up with an arm full of twigs. While it was 20 degrees outside, I shed my layers to find out that my base was soaking in sweat. All of the work I had done to free the quads and gather wood had really raised my temp.
VsxMgrz.jpg

At this point it was around 4 pm and I was ready to start a fire. Most of my gear was soaked, and I knew that the night would not be kind to me if I had to sleep in wet gear. Thankfully the snow held off for long enough to get my clothes and gloves dry, but it sure made sitting by the fire less than ideal. The snow stopped around 7 and gave us a good hour of peaceful night with the remaining firewood.
eGO6qFH.jpg

The tent we used was a basic coleman 6 person dome. Our thoughts were that with the catalytic propane tent heater, and doubled up sleeping bags that were 32 degree rated, we should be okay for the night. That was only half true. The tent heater did its job, but the cold really messed with its efficiency. We went through 4 propane tanks when 2 were supposed to do the job. The largest contributing factor to my lack of sleep was my air mattress. It is a small backpacking inflatable one, and while comfortable enough, it lacked the height to raise me off of the hard packed snow the tent was on. In an attempt to deter the heat loss from the ground, I threw some hand warmers in my sleeping bag. That really didn't do too much.

nvpW1ys.jpg

At 4am we called quits to our vain attempt at any more sleep, donned our gear and went on a search for some more fire wood. The temperature was 11 degrees outside. Once we had some coffee by the fire, we set to breaking down camp and loading up the quads. I called our ride and told them to meet us in 40 minutes. After a decent 20 minutes of play riding and another 20 minutes of trying to get our hands warm, we loaded up the quads and headed home from a successful snow camping adventure.
M55UOez.jpg

Overall I had a great trip, and will look back at it with fond memories. This was a great learning experience, and I'll take the knowledge gained on my next outing. I do wish we had been able to get a real ride in; maybe next time I'll rent some snow mobiles.

Hard core!

I winter camped, once. 1968-69, with the boy scouts! Much easier when your younger for sure.

Looks like a great trip making memories. I had been thinking about taking my quad on a similar adventure but fear I would fare the same once the snow got deep. Anything you would do differently with your preparation? Anything you wished you had brought?

Looks like a great trip making memories. I had been thinking about taking my quad on a similar adventure but fear I would fare the same once the snow got deep. Anything you would do differently with your preparation? Anything you wished you had brought?

Three things really come to mind. First, bring a twin sized air mattress. I had the room for it, and it would have really helped at night. Second, I should have laid a bed of pine needles under the tent. I just used a tarp, and it did nothing to get me off of the snow. Lastly, I wish I had brought some real food to cook. I love to camp cook, and it would have ate up some time when there was nothing to do; plus, tasted a lot better than the canned chili I brought.

Looks like ya had some great times with some not so great times! My suggestion if theres a next time? Pine branch layers under the tent if you prefer tents... or... get real warm hammocks with lots of insulation quilts.... easier to stay warm in what would be called a "bear burrito" :p

Or if shovels were available, dig out a pit, get lots more wood, make a lean to with tarps, wool blankets, aforementioned pine branch layer between snow and sleep pad/air mattress, and build a big reflector fire.

awesome! that looks like a bunch of fun for sure. did you guys run into any critters out there? tracks?

ive camped in the snow multiple times. what i quickly found out was throwing some pine needles or pine bows on the ground under my tent or air mattress to put more of a barrier between the snow and myself helped. ive found even a space blanket under you and lining the top of the tent helps too. even digging down to dirt is a good idea!

Seems like you were I'll equipped overall and lucky you didnt end up needing rescuing.

Ill equipped for a single over night trip? Not even close. In a bad case scenario, we could have ridden the quads back to town in 20 minutes. In a worse case scenario we could have walked the 1.5 miles back to the highway...

awesome! that looks like a bunch of fun for sure. did you guys run into any critters out there? tracks?

ive camped in the snow multiple times. what i quickly found out was throwing some pine needles or pine bows on the ground under my tent or air mattress to put more of a barrier between the snow and myself helped. ive found even a space blanket under you and lining the top of the tent helps too. even digging down to dirt is a good idea!

I didn't see any wildlife except for birds. My place has quite a few deer tracks, but the snow up there really covered most stuff up. Pine needles were on my do next time list.

Ill equipped for a single over night trip? Not even close. In a bad case scenario, we could have ridden the quads back to town in 20 minutes. In a worse case scenario we could have walked the 1.5 miles back to the highway...

Uh yeah. Planning on a 40 mile trip through the snow on quads with a couple of Coleman sleeping bags and a 2 season tent seems absurdly reckless.

It's cool though, yanking you guys out of the woods gives me something to do.;)

Uh yeah. Planning on a 40 mile trip through the snow on quads with a couple of Coleman sleeping bags and a 2 season tent seems absurdly reckless.

It's cool though, yanking you guys out of the woods gives me something to do.;)

Well they made it just fine, and probably learned a thing or two. So you'll have to find something else to do.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top