JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a love hate relationship with glock. I generally carry a G23 and I compete with a G35. While the larger framed glocks are slightly more ergonomic in my hands, the compact glocks feel like I am holding on to a cranky crab. My fingers don't fit in the finger grooves, the trigger slaps my pointer finger, and if I shoot it for a while my middle finger gets a huge blister on my first knuckle. After last speed steel match using my G35 I also got the dreaded glock knuckle but it was the first time it had happened so I am going to attribute that to having not shot it in a couple months.

Why keep it you ask? If the thing feels like a piranha is attacking your hand every time you shoot the thing sell it to someone who does not have those problems.

Here is why I love the G23:
Light weight
Small stature
13+1
Reliable
Low bore Axis
Fast shooting
Cheap Mags
Huge holster variety
Can shoot 9mm, .357sig, .22, and .40 all with a simple swap
Huge after market support

In addition, the G23 is my carry gun. I practice with it, but if I ever need to use it I will most likely shoot a few rounds and that will be the end of it.

I do love The little 23, but after shooting it today, there are still some things I need to do to make it work for me.
The trigger slap is still there, and not on my G35 whatsoever. I tried to shave down the trigger lock thing and sand off a bit of the trigger serrations, but I think my next move is to buy a G22 trigger and swap it out.

Here is what she started life as.
(web photo)

The first thing I had to do was to rid the gun of those horrible finger grooves. In my hands they sat right in the middle of each finger; did not work. After sanding them off I wanted to make the finish look uniform so I went ahead and stippled it. I am not sure I am I huge fan of the stippling. At first it was very rough and I ended up coming back in with some sand paper to smooth it out. it feels nice but it fills up with gunk and when it is in the IWB holster it rubs the he!! out of my side.

Now, it feels better not having those finer grooves on it, but I still can barely get my entire pinky on the grip, I still get glock knuckle, and trigger slap.

After some inspiration from Boresight Customs I decided, what the he!!, lets try to make it a bit smoother on the underside of the trigger guard. I ended up taking a lot of material and gave it a pretty severe undercut. I must say that this was by far the BEST modification to date. The gun feels entirely better and I can get a much better grip.

I am still trying to figure out I can make the sanded area match the other rest of the gun's finish.

Is it just me, or do any of you also have these same issues? Do you find the compact glocks to be comfortable after extended shooting? I am tempted to just buy a PPQ and never have to worry about comfort, but I would gain some weight, gain some girth, and not gain any capacity or ability to easily change calibers.

F1Glk23NGen3_zps36ce010c.jpg IMG_0476_zps1a09aef3.jpg e0b5bcd1-9ff2-434f-99da-7270c3f6391f_zps8ea039de.jpg G231_zps127fddf4.jpg G23_zpsd84bbb7d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer the Gen 2 frame, but I don't think that would help you much since you filed down the grooves. Maybe try a Timberwolf frame if Lone Wolf ever has them in stock. Maybe get a glock smooth trigger.

I have a different brand but I can replace the 12 round (compact) and use a 16 rounder (full size) when I want to practice.
I do end up with the last magazine, the compact to remind myself it is my EDC. I do intend to get a pinky extension for the EDC magazine one of these days.....;)

Last Edited:
Well I hardly shoot more than four magazines, two 15 round and two the shorter 10 rounds magazines in my Glock 29 (10MM) as ammo for it is steep but I find it pleasant enough to shoot and accurate enough to make me look pretty good. I probably would not want to shoot more than that. Mine is a Gen 4 and I used the backstrap closest to normal with the extended "Beavertail". That helps my grip to be more consistent. I used Talon Grips rubber tape to soften some of the Gen 4's more aggressive texturing.

I wish Glock made the compact size of a 19/23 in a 10MM.

I am in the same boat as you, I would love to venture away from glock, but I cant find anything I like more for a carry gun. Woods carry or concealed carry. I recently went through and checked out all the polymer guns on the market and handled them, I ended up really liking the M&P's for ergonomics and looks, but couldnt bring myself to sell a glock to uy a smith. I will be modifying my glocks just as you have done here to suit my fancy.
Glocks are ugly and fat, feel like your gripping a 2x4, but they are still my favorite for reliable simplicity.
In the future I think I may still try the M&P though

I do think the M&P a good choice especially in 40, 40 S&W is their baby any they designed the M&P around it. Glock adapted their 40's from 9's which might cause premature wear and tear. Glock re-engineered the 10's and 45's to be more robust.

We did have a S&W SD9 VE and while it seems similar to a M&P, it really isn't the SD9 being a more advanced Sigma with the same terrible trigger, The Warden traded it on a Glock 17 and has not looked back.

They make several versions of the M&P....magazine disconnect, NO magazine disconnect and so on. I like the Pro model.....I don't want to be protected from myself, I want to be protected from others

I'm the opposite. With smaller hands the 19 fits and feels perfect. My 17 and 20 had the finger grooves to largely spread apart and it felt weird. Some time with a dremel fixed that issue for both. After removing the finger grooves and stippling they both feel much better in the hand.

Yeah I just covered most of the stippling with those Talon grip panels. I use the granulated (Like fine sandpaper) on my EDC Springfield XDS as I like the no slip ever for that scenario, but for most of my crossover shooters I like the rubberized version. The panels are very thin, but they have just enough cushion to take that that aggressive bite out. To me at least.

Last Edited:
Glocks are definitely spartan or simple or utilitarian in looks but some people really like that about Glocks. Just know that altering them will make them harder to sell in the future.

For me, once I decided on Glocks I went all in. Carry, home defense, competition...all Glocks. Hard to switch now.

Comfortable glock? Anything full sized.
I gave up on the G19 because I didnt want to pay even more to have it fit my hand, that and the size savings didnt justify losing 2 rounds over a 17.

However, the G30 & G26 with the pinky extension seems to fit fine.

Best of luck.

Glocks are definitely spartan or simple or utilitarian in looks but some people really like that about Glocks. Just know that altering them will make them harder to sell in the future.

For me, once I decided on Glocks I went all in. Carry, home defense, competition...all Glocks. Hard to switch now.
Same here.. I was all about other pistols.. But now it would seem Im becoming a Glock fan.
They're just too reliable, modular, rugged and simple to not like.

Well - Springfield just released the 4 inch "MOD 2" grip verions of the XD - those things feel waaay better than a factory Glock grip. $400 and change on sale with 2 (or maybe it was 3) mags. Not much wider than the Glock, and IIRC they upped the mag capacity to 16 from 15 rounds in the 9mm versions, nor sure what the .40's are. Probably 12 or 13 rounds.

But I like the undercut trigger guards - and if you hate the serrated Glock trigger, get a trigger for a full size gun - they're smooth - that's a BIG help in comfort for extended shooting sessions.

2nd the smooth trigger bar. LoneWolfDist sells the serrated trigger as only for the compacts and subcompacts and the smooth for the full-size guns. But both styles work for both types of guns. I've systematically switched out all my trigger bars for the smooth ones.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top