Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

A different thought on having the "popular" calibers for SHTF senario.

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by Solo, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Solo

Solo Portland, OR Member

It seems the general idea of having the popular calibers, like 9, 223, etc. is because they are more apt to be available. It's easy to see the logic in this, but I'm thinking if you have what everybody wants there will be more demand for it. Which means the popular caliber ammo will be the first to disappear. No?
    Discuss...

2. tattoo

tattoo NorthWest Active Member

Military calibers are the most available. They would be the ones that the manufacturers would try to keep up with demand for. Supply and demand is what makes them the most cashola. Odd ball Cals would be the first to go away.
    Dave

3. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

Haven't you ever watched mad max? By the second movie almost everyone's using crossbows because all the ammo is gone. You should buy this upper instead.

Alternatively, one of these might be a good idea too--make your own ammo!

And be sure to get yourself a classy old muscle car to drive around in. This is ESSENTIAL for bugging out quickly. As a bonus, the classy old muscle cars are more EMP-proof.

4. tattoo

tattoo NorthWest Active Member

Max was one of the best B movies there ever was. Then he got old and beat up his girlfriend and now hes a piece of dung. LOL
    Dave

5. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

Well, during the ammo scare, I saw the less popular stuff still on the shelves...

6. Izzy

Izzy Oakridge Active Member

If a person stocks up on what He/She has fire arms for, then there is no need to worry about what ammo is readily available when SHTF!

That being said, if I have to "bug out", you can bet big money I won't be packing the 32-20!:laugh:

7. VW_Factor

VW_Factor Woodburn Oregon Active Member

8. spengo

I'm gonna get a gun in .11 whatzit. Aww yea
    11wbd.jpg

9. spengo

NO WAIT, I got it. I should get a gyrojet.
    1287739508.jpg
    gyrojetcartridge.jpg

Now that would be cool.

10. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

I guess in that situation ya have to go with what ya got, if ya got it,, I guess your good to go.

11. tradja

tradja Central Oregon New Member

During the last 2 ammo scares, my local big box retailers and LGS had a few boxes of things like .44 Special, 28ga birdshot, and various specific .300 Win Rem Short Ultra Deluxe Mags. However, there were only a few boxes of it and it was expensive. I don't know if it was more expensive than usual, since I don't shop for those chamberings.

Solo, you bring up an interesting point, but oddball (or even semi-oddball) chamberings are hard enough to find ammo for during the good times. I'd hate to rely on finding 7.7mm Japanese when things get bad.

12. Solo

Solo Portland, OR Member

Yes, that's true. Stock up on what you need. But that wasn't the subject.

13. Izzy

:bawling:

14. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

I think that the 6 most popular calibers are: .223/5.56, .243, ,270, .308, 30-06 and 30-30. If you find yourself in a tiny burg like Donut Hole, Wyoming, if there is a little Mom and Pop store there that has any ammo at all for sale, you'll probably be able to find those calibers.

15. Izzy

I think 22-250 should also be on that list.

16. marty8587

marty8587 NE Portland Active Member

And ........22 cal.

17. Izzy

A brick of .22's can feed the family for a long time.

18. revjen45

revjen45 Snohomish County Well-Known Member

Yup. A Nagant revolver shoots the original caliber plus .32 H&R and .32 S&W Long and Short, just maybe .327 Mag for a couple of rounds if there's nothing else and it's shoot or die. The .32 S&Ws would not anybody's 1st choice for SD, but they sure beat a pocket knife. Obviously .327 is not recommended, but I have seen postings to the effect that it has been done without KB. I shoot .32 H&R in mine and it works OK. YMMV.

Re: the Gyrojet. Aside from $30 and up per rd they made the Brown Bess look like a bench rest rifle.

19. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Meh. Get a Dardick. Everyone knows revolvers are more reliable.