JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It seems the general idea of having the popular calibers, like 9, 223, etc. is because they are more apt to be available. It's easy to see the logic in this, but I'm thinking if you have what everybody wants there will be more demand for it. Which means the popular caliber ammo will be the first to disappear. No?
Discuss...

Military calibers are the most available. They would be the ones that the manufacturers would try to keep up with demand for. Supply and demand is what makes them the most cashola. Odd ball Cals would be the first to go away.
Dave

Haven't you ever watched mad max? By the second movie almost everyone's using crossbows because all the ammo is gone. You should buy this upper instead.

Alternatively, one of these might be a good idea too--make your own ammo!

And be sure to get yourself a classy old muscle car to drive around in. This is ESSENTIAL for bugging out quickly. As a bonus, the classy old muscle cars are more EMP-proof.

If a person stocks up on what He/She has fire arms for, then there is no need to worry about what ammo is readily available when SHTF!

That being said, if I have to "bug out", you can bet big money I won't be packing the 32-20!:s0114:

Well, during the ammo scare, I saw the less popular stuff still on the shelves...
During the last 2 ammo scares, my local big box retailers and LGS had a few boxes of things like .44 Special, 28ga birdshot, and various specific .300 Win Rem Short Ultra Deluxe Mags. However, there were only a few boxes of it and it was expensive. I don't know if it was more expensive than usual, since I don't shop for those chamberings.

Solo, you bring up an interesting point, but oddball (or even semi-oddball) chamberings are hard enough to find ammo for during the good times. I'd hate to rely on finding 7.7mm Japanese when things get bad.

If a person stocks up on what He/She has fire arms for, then there is no need to worry about what ammo is readily available when SHTF!

That being said, if I have to "bug out", you can bet big money I won't be packing the 32-20!:s0114:

Yes, that's true. Stock up on what you need. But that wasn't the subject.

I think that the 6 most popular calibers are: .223/5.56, .243, ,270, .308, 30-06 and 30-30. If you find yourself in a tiny burg like Donut Hole, Wyoming, if there is a little Mom and Pop store there that has any ammo at all for sale, you'll probably be able to find those calibers.

I think that the 6 most popular calibers are: .223/5.56, .243, ,270, .308, 30-06 and 30-30. If you find yourself in a tiny burg like Donut Hole, Wyoming, if there is a little Mom and Pop store there that has any ammo at all for sale, you'll probably be able to find those calibers.

I think 22-250 should also be on that list.

Well, during the ammo scare, I saw the less popular stuff still on the shelves...

Yup. A Nagant revolver shoots the original caliber plus .32 H&R and .32 S&W Long and Short, just maybe .327 Mag for a couple of rounds if there's nothing else and it's shoot or die. The .32 S&Ws would not anybody's 1st choice for SD, but they sure beat a pocket knife. Obviously .327 is not recommended, but I have seen postings to the effect that it has been done without KB. I shoot .32 H&R in mine and it works OK. YMMV.

Re: the Gyrojet. Aside from $30 and up per rd they made the Brown Bess look like a bench rest rifle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top