JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wondering what the difference is in 115gr and 124gr (other than weight in grains)? I dont have a grain scale and some of my ammo was mixed, and try as I might, I cant seem to be able to figure out what difference 9 grains actually makes in the "real world"... And when, out of curiosity I put a couple 50 ct boxes of those two weights on a sensitive digital scale, they came out so close, i was asking myself, "Why the two weights at all?" Since I didn't get an answer, I'm gonna roll the dice and ask you guyz... Thanx! (I hope :()

Other than 9 grains of weight difference, the type of projectile (HP vs FMJ) and the powder charge can mean slightly better velocity and better energy transfer and expansion. The bullet weight itself isn't significantly different enough to mean much without the other variables.

I can group and recover from shots with 124's better in my particular pistol ymmv, other than that is dealers choice IMO

Real world difference will be negligible.

I have run both loads through the same magazine, evenly staggered, and also randomly scattered.

Other than 124gr being much harder to find, I don't perceive a meaningful difference.

A lot of my "range ammo" is both. When buying cases of ammo if one was in stock or cheaper it's what I went with. Often the 115 was either cheaper or available. Tend to just dump boxes into easier to deal with containers when range time and I never can see any difference in where they hit with all my guns shooting at the indoor place.

My old arthritic hands can feel a slight diff going from 115 to 124. Performance in competitions I don't think will greatly differ, but people mostly shoot the same weight that is their carry rounds.

I've read the penetration geltest studies, and they say that 147 gives the best results.

• Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) such as loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
  • Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)
  • Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
  • Winchester Ranger Bonded 124 gr +P JHP (RA9BA)
  • Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
  • Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
  • Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
  • Speer Gold Dor 124gr JHP
  • Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)
  • Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)
  • Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
  • Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
  • Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)
  • Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)
  • Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)
  • Federal HST 124gr JHP +P (P9HST3)

You might notice that the list does NOT include any lightweight bullets with the exception of the Barnes 115gr version. The reason - especially if you've read the beginning of this article - should be clear already, but Doctor Roberts sums it up nicely as well: "With the exception of the Barnes 115 gr XPB all copper projectile, in general, most 9 mm 115 gr loads have demonstrated greater inconsistency, insufficient penetration, poor intermediate barrier capability, and failure to expand in denim testing than other 9mm bullets. For those individuals wanting to use lighter weight, supersonic 9 mm's, I think a better alternative than the vast majority of 115 gr loads is to use the slightly heavier 124 to 127 gr bullets or the Barnes 115 gr all copper bullet"

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

• Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) such as loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
  • Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)
  • Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
  • Winchester Ranger Bonded 124 gr +P JHP (RA9BA)
  • Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
  • Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
  • Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
  • Speer Gold Dor 124gr JHP
  • Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)
  • Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)
  • Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
  • Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
  • Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)
  • Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)
  • Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)
  • Federal HST 124gr JHP +P (P9HST3)

You might notice that the list does NOT include any lightweight bullets with the exception of the Barnes 115gr version. The reason - especially if you've read the beginning of this article - should be clear already, but Doctor Roberts sums it up nicely as well: "With the exception of the Barnes 115 gr XPB all copper projectile, in general, most 9 mm 115 gr loads have demonstrated greater inconsistency, insufficient penetration, poor intermediate barrier capability, and failure to expand in denim testing than other 9mm bullets. For those individuals wanting to use lighter weight, supersonic 9 mm's, I think a better alternative than the vast majority of 115 gr loads is to use the slightly heavier 124 to 127 gr bullets or the Barnes 115 gr all copper bullet"

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
or a 40:D

The main difference is that most 9mm pistols are sighted in for 124 grain, most 9mm pistols seem to shoot 124 grain more accurately in my experience vs 115 grain.
I've only ever had one pistol that shot 115 grain more accurately than 124 and that was my Glock 48.

The main difference is that most 9mm pistols are sighted in for 124 grain, most 9mm pistols seem to shoot 124 grain more accurately in my experience vs 115 grain.
I've only ever had one pistol that shot 115 grain more accurately than 124 and that was my Glock 48.

All mine shoot minute of bad guy just fine... :)

I take it OP has some ammo that got jumbled together. Most typical 9mm shooters blasting at typical 9mm range aren't gonna notice much diff. Such as the guys down at the 7 yard end of the pistol range.

Main difference I find is function in some firearms. One of my bride's guns does not like 115's very well but is fine with 124's. I find some 115's a little more whippy (technical term) with recoil than heavier bullets. My M&P's eat anything fine, even empty cases.

10 grains = 0.02 ounces (2 hundredths of an ounce)
I imagine bullet speed and barrel length even grip strength and technique are just as (if not more) important.
Remember that old "workman/tools" thing your dad always said?

;) Sounds like my late Mom discussing china or crystal patterns
(Blu de Roi vs Old Country Roses/Pinwheel vs Cross n' Olive).....
.... pretty much always a circular conversation over tea and dainties?

(ok, ok.....Which golf ball weight (1.53/1.61 ounces) is best, over coffee and donuts then)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top