Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

9mm recipes

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Ragingpit, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Ragingpit

Ragingpit Rochester,WA Member

Can some one cross reference 9mm loaded with Blue Dot? How much powder, bullets weight and speed of bullet?

Thanks

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Speer book
    100gr bullet
    7.4-8.2gr
    1146-1296fps

115gr
    7.7-8.5gr
    1161-1258

124gr
    7.1-7.9
    1121-1238

147gr
    5.1-5.8
    900-1001

Lyman book
    90gr
    7.0-8.9
    1072@7.0gr

95gr
    6.8-8.9
    1101@6.8

115gr
    6.3-8.7
    910@6.3

100gr
    6.5-7.8
    973@6.5

125gr
    6.1-8.0
    895@6.1

3. Ragingpit

Thanks for the info. I feel safer cross refencing with several sources, new to reloading 9mm.

4. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

5. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

6. Ragingpit

cool, thanks

7. gnarl

gnarl Sequim, WA Member

Mebe a typo here?
    The 115 is showing heavier loads
    than the 100...that does not look right...

8. coosbaycreep

coosbaycreep 9 miles South of Roseburg Active Member

No, that's not a typo.

The 100gr might be originally designed for .380acp velocities.

9. gnarl

gnarl Sequim, WA Member

May be, but .380 loads for that bullet are all below 1000.
    Well...not "all", Alliant powder manual and Nosler reloading guide.
    Actually, I'm seeing 90's and 115's in both places...guess I'm inferring from .45
    experience...less bullet...more powder will continue to work action dependably.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  10. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

BTW, blue-dot is a lousy powder for 9mm, it's a magnum pistol/shotgun powder. It performs great with heavy revolver loads but tends to burn dirty with light autogun loads (had that problem in .45ACP) try instead titegroup, HP-38, or HS-6. If you want to stick with alliant powders, bullseye is a great one.

11. gnarl

gnarl Sequim, WA Member

Indeed...great in some .357/110 loads and .44/185 loads...with full charges.
    Light loads give a lot of unburned powder residue.
    Seems to need a lot of pressure to burn completely.
    Is right below 2400 in the powder line.

12. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

I suggest not using Bullseye. Friend double-charged one and his gun became junk. Pick a powder/load that uses up most of the case for safety.

13. FelidaHouse

FelidaHouse Vancouver, WA New Member

As a new reloader, I'm using Accurate #7 for that very reason.

14. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

I've found Power Pistol to be far superior to Bullseye in my 9mm loads. 100 fps faster at max load with 124gr bullet than Bullseye.

My favorite recipe for 9mm is 6.5gr Power Pistol with 124gr Montana Gold JHP using Wolf/Tula Small Pistol Primers. This is my practice load.

I found HS-6 to be too filthy for my liking.

My absolute favorite powder for 9mm is Vihtavouri 3N37. A little hard to come by and it's more expensive than most. Also a little dangerous if not careful. Only .5 gr spread from Starting Load to Max Load. Pressure builds quick with this powder but it's clean and yields consistent 1250fps loads. Last batch had a Mean Average Deviation of only 3 fps. I save this powder for my Self Defense Loads which is 6.6 gr under a 124 gr GDHP.

15. deadshot2

In the straight walled rimmed cases like .357 and .44, when using a powder like Blue Dot a heavy rolled crimp is recommended. Helps get the powder burning before the bullet launches. Also, because of a more consistent "burn" crimping with powders like this helps accuracy.

As for light loads, I hate them. With some powders, light loads can lead to "Ka-Booms" and the manufacturer will specify an absolute minimum load. Light loads just lie on the bottom of the case and the flame of the primer ignites the entire top surface. Instead of a controlled burn of a powder "column" you get an explosion.

As stated earlier, it's far too easy to "double load" when your powder doesn't fill the case more than half. A "double shot" of bullseye is too easy and a double shot of a powder like HS-6 or Power Pistol will spill over. A mess, yes, but less of a "mess" that involves pieces of your firearm flying about.

16. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I have had very good success with 124 grain Hornady bullets and Blue Dot.. 1 inch groups at 50 yards and perfect functioning in a Colt carbine. It's a hot NATO type load and I will not list the charge weight, partially because it's a sub gun load that might not be safe in most pistols. I taper crimp all my pistol loads and it works great

17. deadshot2

Taper is the proper crimp for autoloaders that headspace on the case mouth but for some revolver loads using rimmed cases it may not be enough. There is a definite time to use a roll crimp.

18. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

The biggest revolver round I load for is .357 mag.. you are right that with some revolver loads a roll crimp into the bullet channellure is a good idea