JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
May be, but .380 loads for that bullet are all below 1000.
Well...not "all", Alliant powder manual and Nosler reloading guide.
Actually, I'm seeing 90's and 115's in both places...guess I'm inferring from .45
experience...less bullet...more powder will continue to work action dependably.

Last Edited:
BTW, blue-dot is a lousy powder for 9mm, it's a magnum pistol/shotgun powder. It performs great with heavy revolver loads but tends to burn dirty with light autogun loads (had that problem in .45ACP) try instead titegroup, HP-38, or HS-6. If you want to stick with alliant powders, bullseye is a great one.

Indeed...great in some .357/110 loads and .44/185 loads...with full charges.
Light loads give a lot of unburned powder residue.
Seems to need a lot of pressure to burn completely.
Is right below 2400 in the powder line.

BTW, blue-dot is a lousy powder for 9mm, it's a magnum pistol/shotgun powder. It performs great with heavy revolver loads but tends to burn dirty with light autogun loads (had that problem in .45ACP) try instead titegroup, HP-38, or HS-6. If you want to stick with alliant powders, bullseye is a great one.

I've found Power Pistol to be far superior to Bullseye in my 9mm loads. 100 fps faster at max load with 124gr bullet than Bullseye.

My favorite recipe for 9mm is 6.5gr Power Pistol with 124gr Montana Gold JHP using Wolf/Tula Small Pistol Primers. This is my practice load.

I found HS-6 to be too filthy for my liking.

My absolute favorite powder for 9mm is Vihtavouri 3N37. A little hard to come by and it's more expensive than most. Also a little dangerous if not careful. Only .5 gr spread from Starting Load to Max Load. Pressure builds quick with this powder but it's clean and yields consistent 1250fps loads. Last batch had a Mean Average Deviation of only 3 fps. I save this powder for my Self Defense Loads which is 6.6 gr under a 124 gr GDHP.

Indeed...great in some .357/110 loads and .44/185 loads...with full charges.
Light loads give a lot of unburned powder residue.
Seems to need a lot of pressure to burn completely.
Is right below 2400 in the powder line.

In the straight walled rimmed cases like .357 and .44, when using a powder like Blue Dot a heavy rolled crimp is recommended. Helps get the powder burning before the bullet launches. Also, because of a more consistent "burn" crimping with powders like this helps accuracy.

As for light loads, I hate them. With some powders, light loads can lead to "Ka-Booms" and the manufacturer will specify an absolute minimum load. Light loads just lie on the bottom of the case and the flame of the primer ignites the entire top surface. Instead of a controlled burn of a powder "column" you get an explosion.

As stated earlier, it's far too easy to "double load" when your powder doesn't fill the case more than half. A "double shot" of bullseye is too easy and a double shot of a powder like HS-6 or Power Pistol will spill over. A mess, yes, but less of a "mess" that involves pieces of your firearm flying about.

I have had very good success with 124 grain Hornady bullets and Blue Dot.. 1 inch groups at 50 yards and perfect functioning in a Colt carbine. It's a hot NATO type load and I will not list the charge weight, partially because it's a sub gun load that might not be safe in most pistols. I taper crimp all my pistol loads and it works great

The biggest revolver round I load for is .357 mag.. you are right that with some revolver loads a roll crimp into the bullet channellure is a good idea

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top