JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was told by a police officer at Black Butte Ranch that it was a $500 fine if the USFS catches someone shooting trees. I was not, fortunately.

I was told by a police officer at Black Butte Ranch that it was a $500 fine if the USFS catches someone shooting trees.
I knew there was a fine for it and thought it was higher but didn't really know.

A few years ago I was visiting some friends who were camping in the NF in a 'dispersed' location West of Sunriver.

Well when I showed up I saw a target tacked onto a tree and and I asked my friend about it and he said it was on the tree when he showed up.

Well while I was there a FS LEO pulled up and got out and asked who owned the motorhome and my friend said he did and the LEO asked him about the target.

Fortunately no one was shooting at it (and we wouldn't have been) but the LEO was really making an issue out of it telling him it was illegal etc. He saw some guns laying on a table and continued to rant about it but he didn't witness any shooting and finally left.

I do however know shooting bottles falls under 'littering' and the fine goes up substantially.

Last Edited:
I can't imagine the Vaseline NOT flying out of the hollow cavity with how fast that bullet is spinning prior to hitting the target. (No I didn't click the link, just read the comments).

The post-OP replies are funny as hell, but I sure wish the OP would exercise some better trigger discipline.
As soon as he racked the slide, his finger went straight to the trigger.
Then he went supine with his damned finger still on the trigger.
I visibly cringed and was praying I wouldn't see a kneecap blown off...
I'm not the only one who noticed....
Just for S&G's I may try that with a stiff axle grease, seems like vaseline would melt in the magazine as the pistol warms up...

I knew there was a fine for it and thought it was higher but didn't really know.

A few years ago I was visiting some friends who were camping in the NF in a 'dispersed' location West of Sunriver.

Well when I showed up I saw a target tacked onto a tree and and I asked my friend about it and he said it was on the tree when he showed up.

Well while I was there a FS LEO pulled up and got out and asked who owned the motorhome and my friend said he did and the LEO asked him about the target.

Fortunately no one was shooting at it (and we wouldn't have been) but the LEO was really making an issue out of it telling him it was illegal etc. He saw some guns laying on a table and continued to rant about it but he didn't witness any shooting and finally left.

I do however know shooting bottles falls under 'littering' and the fine goes up substantially.
Bottle-shooters should be punished AND forced to clean up broken glass in the Forests.

Polymer is hard medium so it aids penetration until the hollowpoint has expanded enough to take in liquid medium from the muscle tissue. Your using the Hornady ammo exactly how its designed for.
I have often wondered how a 9mmP HP would perform if plugged with a BB... would it "blow" violently, or just act as a FMJ? Havent tried it myself but someone must have...

I have often wondered how a 9mmP HP would perform if plugged with a BB... would it "blow" violently, or just act as a FMJ? Havent tried it myself but someone must have...
Corbon ammo did exactly that but with a polymer BB, called their "powerball" ammo.

I thought there was another company doing that but with a steel BB ...allegedly creating two wound channels from one bullet, but cant find anything. Basically it makes a controlled expansion bullet, penetrates slightly deeper before opening up the hollowpoint. I personally think these are all gimmicks to avoid, but thats just me. There is plenty of traditional hollowpoints available that also penetrate well if thats a concern I just use the spreadsheet on luckygunner to find one.

download.png

I thought there was another company doing that but with a steel BB ...allegedly creating two wound channels from one bullet, but cant find anything. Basically it makes a controlled expansion bullet, penetrates slightly deeper before opening up the hollowpoint. I personally think these are all gimmicks to avoid, but thats just me.
I can see a scenario play out when you're in court after a DGU, there would be Leftist DAs crying to the jurors that "...he's a crazed, gun-nut, wanton killer..." because you used "...an extra-special, deadlier-than-necessary-cuz-it-makes-two-wound-channels, powerball-steel BB-penetrator bullet..." in your gun. :rolleyes:
There is plenty of traditional hollowpoints available that also penetrate well if thats a concern I just use the spreadsheet on luckygunner to find one.
Totally agree. It's best to just buy a well-respected, brand name ammo that's designed for defensive use. I use Speer Gold Dot JHPs in my EDCs...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top