JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The post-OP replies are funny as hell, but I sure wish the OP would exercise some better trigger discipline.
As soon as he racked the slide, his finger went straight to the trigger.
Then he went supine with his damned finger still on the trigger.
I visibly cringed and was praying I wouldn't see a kneecap blown off...

Last Edited:
The post-OP replies are funny as hell, but I sure wish the OP would exercise some better trigger discipline.
Yes, and not shoot trees and use an earthen backstop. Not a good image when we are struggling to keep our spots on public lands open.
It is possible that the non-compressible petroleum in the HP might have provided the initial impetus to expand. I note that muzzle control was good.
Yes, hollowpoints expand from hydraulic pressure so by packing it with a semi fluid it eliminates the need to penetrate an inch or two before expanding. Not exactly certain why we would want that but cool explosion.

Many years ago, there was an article in Shooting Times magazine written by Rick Jameson where he experimented with different ways to get a bullet to expand rapidly. He was looking for something that would expand explosively so as to cause as little pelt damage as possible for fur hunting.

I don't recall exactly what all he did, but I remember he used a putty of some kind in some bullets. Some were left with open tips, others had the cavity sealed with various methods (ball bearing swaged into the tip, etc.).

It was pretty interesting stuff, like all of his other reloading articles.

I also hope that he owns the tree he is using for a backstop. Trespassers have shot up one of my fir trees so badly that is has lost all commercial value.
This! Why use a tree as a backstop? Just grinds my gears when I see that... :mad:

Yes, hollowpoints expand from hydraulic pressure so by packing it with a semi fluid it eliminates the need to penetrate an inch or two before expanding. Not exactly certain why we would want that but cool explosion.
I have a few mags of "plugged" HP rounds for use in my winter EDC. Hornady says that by filling the HP cavity with polymer, the bullets are better able to penetrate heavy clothing (think winter wear, Carhartt jackets, etc.) before expanding. I switch them out with regular HPs when spring arrives...

Last Edited:
I have a few mags of "plugged" HP rounds for use in my winter EDC. Hornady says that by filling the HP cavity with polymer, the bullets are better able to penetrate heavy clothing (think winter wear-Carhartt jackets, etc.) before expanding. I switch them out with regular HPs when spring arrives...
Polymer is hard medium so it aids penetration until the hollowpoint has expanded enough to take in liquid medium from the muscle tissue. Your using the Hornady ammo exactly how its designed for.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top