JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Things have gotten worse. The earlier Harrington & Richardson closed their doors circa 1986, shortly thereafter New England Firearms took over the building, made NEF and H&R single shot products all over again. Which continued through the Marlin buyout, and eventually Remington finished them off. But during that time, hundreds of thousands of single shot, break-open shotguns and rifles were made. Budget priced but fairly quality arms.

Update to today. NEF and H&R single shots are somewhat sought after. Especially barrels. Because of the interchangeable nature of them. What's happening now are people are breaking the guns up into parts, selling barrels separately online for more than entire guns might bring elsewhere. I see multiple receivers (frames) sold in lots on GB. I hate to see perfectly good firearms broken up for sale as parts, but that's the economics of it. For now.

H&R and later NEF factory people referred to the single shot receiver / frame as the "Baystate." Because it's roughly shaped like the state of Massachusetts, which is known as the Bay State. Where the factory was located.
Palmetto owns them now.

Palmetto owns them now.
JJE (Palmetto's parent corp.) to date hasn't made Handi Rifle number one. And probably won't, either. They were interested in the H&R brand in order to apply it to retro versions of what HRA made for military contracts, i.e., M1 Rifle, M14 and M16. Remington gave up on H&R stuff, and for some of the same reasons I doubt JJE will take it up again given the economics of it. But anything can happen. If semi-autos eventually get banned, then slides and bolt actions, single shots might make a come-back. There is some residual market for them; Henry makes a $580 single shot that looks pretty good. They are hard to find to buy at present, even though they are still catalogued. Likely Henry is concentrating on their $1,050 rifles that they have no problem selling. Recently there has been a Henry single shot in 20 ga. for sale here on NWFA.

There are some single shots made overseas for sale here too. From Brazil, Turkey, maybe others. I looked at a new Stevens single shot not long ago, it was name badge engineered, made overseas somewhere.

Things have gotten worse. The earlier Harrington & Richardson closed their doors circa 1986, shortly thereafter New England Firearms took over the building, made NEF and H&R single shot products all over again. Which continued through the Marlin buyout, and eventually Remington finished them off. But during that time, hundreds of thousands of single shot, break-open shotguns and rifles were made. Budget priced but fairly quality arms.

Update to today. NEF and H&R single shots are somewhat sought after. Especially barrels. Because of the interchangeable nature of them. What's happening now are people are breaking the guns up into parts, selling barrels separately online for more than entire guns might bring elsewhere. I see multiple receivers (frames) sold in lots on GB. I hate to see perfectly good firearms broken up for sale as parts, but that's the economics of it. For now.

H&R and later NEF factory people referred to the single shot receiver / frame as the "Baystate." Because it's roughly shaped like the state of Massachusetts, which is known as the Bay State. Where the factory was located.
FYI: NEF and H&R 1871 are the same company. NEF was the working title of the company while they were in receivership. Because some of the paperwork used the NEF title when the company first started producing guns again, they were obligated to produce arms under both names, but the "official" title of the restructured company was H&R 1871, Inc.
A few years before the final shut down, it was decided the more basic offerings would be the NEF Pardner, while the nice versions were H&R Toppers.

NEF and H&R single shots are somewhat sought after. Especially barrels. Because of the interchangeable nature of them
Wait, do what now? Can you elaborate or point me in the right direction? Ive got a NEF .410 I attached a mauser bayonet as a kid that id love to swap barrels to something more useful than .410

A few years before the final shut down, it was decided the more basic offerings would be the NEF Pardner, while the nice versions were H&R Toppers.
More or less. I have a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation SB2 Ultra that says H&R on it, but I had another RMEF banquet rifle in .308 that was branded NEF. We've had this conversation about NEF before.

In later years, the NEF brand was also used on foreign-made pump shotguns that had no material connection to the SB1 and SB2. I think Marlin started this before they sold out to Remington in 2007. I've seen these with serial number prefixes having U, W, X and Y. This date range spans Marlin and Remington ownership. Marked "Made in China Hawk Industries Ltd." Remington and Marlin "made" guns had these same markings: "New England Firearms, H&R 1871, Ltd." The NEF pumps made in China under Marlin had a nicer finish. The ones I've seen, Marlins seem to have wood furniture and Remingtons have black plastic.

Wait, do what now? Can you elaborate or point me in the right direction? Ive got a NEF .410 I attached a mauser bayonet as a kid that id love to swap barrels to something more useful than .410
NEF / H&R frames made after 1985 or so come in two versions. The SB1 shotgun frames are cast iron, the SB2 rifle frames are steel. You may use any shotgun gauge except 10 on any shotgun frame. You may use any shotgun gauge except 10 on a rifle frame. You may use centerfire pistol caliber Handi Rifle barrels on shotgun or rifle frames. You may not use centerfire rifle cartridge barrels on shotgun frames. There are some exceptions, I don't remember them, the factory started getting pissy about the accessory barrel program in later stages. Remington discontinued it entirely. Think about it, why supply barrels that might cut the company out of the sale of a complete new rifle??

The barrels are basically physically interchangeable. Sometimes they are too tight or too loose at the pivot point. You can adjust these to have proper headspace if the fit is off. If it's too tight, file or sand some material away from the pivot arch in the barrel mount. If it's too loose, you can solder some metal shim material into the arch.

SB1 barrels aren't too expensive, they are on ebay and GB all the time. Because people are breaking the guns down to sell for more money as parts. The SB2 rifle barrels have gotten very spendy lately. I'm seeing barrels selling for what you can sometimes buy a complete rifle for. .357 and .44 Mag barrels are out of sight.

The online "bible" for H&R and NEF single shots is Graybeard Outdoors. Lots of good stuff there.

NEF / H&R frames made after 1985 or so come in two versions. The SB1 shotgun frames are cast iron, the SB2 rifle frames are steel. You may use any shotgun gauge except 10 on any shotgun frame. You may use any shotgun gauge except 10 on a rifle frame. You may use centerfire pistol caliber Handi Rifle barrels on shotgun or rifle frames. You may not use centerfire rifle cartridge barrels on shotgun frames. There are some exceptions, I don't remember them, the factory started getting pissy about the accessory barrel program in later stages. Remington discontinued it entirely. Think about it, why supply barrels that might cut the company out of the sale of a complete new rifle??

The barrels are basically physically interchangeable. Sometimes they are too tight or too loose at the pivot point. You can adjust these to have proper headspace if the fit is off. If it's too tight, file or sand some material away from the pivot arch in the barrel mount. If it's too loose, you can solder some metal shim material into the arch.

SB1 barrels aren't too expensive, they are on ebay and GB all the time. Because people are breaking the guns down to sell for more money as parts. The SB2 rifle barrels have gotten very spendy lately. I'm seeing barrels selling for what you can sometimes buy a complete rifle for. .357 and .44 Mag barrels are out of sight.

The online "bible" for H&R and NEF single shots is Graybeard Outdoors. Lots of good stuff there.
This is great info, thank you

More or less. I have a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation SB2 Ultra that says H&R on it, but I had another RMEF banquet rifle in .308 that was branded NEF. We've had this conversation about NEF before.

In later years, the NEF brand was also used on foreign-made pump shotguns that had no material connection to the SB1 and SB2. I think Marlin started this before they sold out to Remington in 2007. I've seen these with serial number prefixes having U, W, X and Y. This date range spans Marlin and Remington ownership. Marked "Made in China Hawk Industries Ltd." Remington and Marlin "made" guns had these same markings: "New England Firearms, H&R 1871, Ltd." The NEF pumps made in China under Marlin had a nicer finish. The ones I've seen, Marlins seem to have wood furniture and Remingtons have black plastic.
It was from an announcement I read from H&R 1871 (don't ask for a link. It probably doesn't exist anymore).
I never mentioned anything about pumps and auto's. Not sure why that was included in your reply.

This happened today. $140 out the door (not $99 😭). Sadly, I was not able to dress it up in S&M gear like the op. I still like it, though. I'll probably shorten the barrel a bit. I'll play with it when I have time later.

9150C7F2-D02B-40DD-BCF0-FCB1BD74AD77.jpeg F8644B65-BFC3-4D3B-8C4F-74C9B635C9B6.jpeg 26777D7E-67AA-43F0-B48F-2253ECD0F332.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top