JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last month I was training in the evening. After compleating one of the best forms I ever felt. I was playing with flying butterfly kicks. Landed hard and felt the knee (right) hurt. and not let me put any weight on it sending me to the cement. Yes I tryed to roll but the cement was really fast! Laying on the ground i thought it was over. Well after personal rehab. (R.I.C.E.) It is back in order. Kindof scared me. So at 50 years old I may re think the moves again and start riding my bike more. (no more flying stuff)
Be well.
Shawnzai!

I used to fight full contact sabaki tournaments and jiu jitsu and learned early on that Karate was the way to go over taekwando with the flashy kicks.
for one those kicks while they look cool are not really effective and they leave you open to sweeps and counters.
there is so much more power in a kick if one foot is rooted to the ground and us older guys dont blow knees out.
I can see a spin kick coming before it ever begins.....you lead with the head before the spin kick comes and its a telegraph way in advance.
although i did fight a little japanese guy that was so quick with his spin he got me in the stomach before i even seen his head move.

maybe enshin karate(sabaki)is a safer bet for those knees?osu!

I've studied and practiced Tae Kwon Do since 1985 and I can tell you that in a match or street fight I'm all elbows and knees Muay Thai style. The kicks are flashy as the art was never developed for combat but actually for exercise. Though a good spinning backfist to the noggin' remains my favourite move.

a spinning back fist to the noggin only works if everything is perfect for the thrower. if the other guy is on his toes the guy throwing the spinning back fist is sleeping in the parking lot. been there, played that game

school of hard knocks, class of 72.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads