JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello mates, new to the forum and new to reloading. I'm in the process of collecting items for 8mm Mauser reloading as I'm picking up a restored Kar98k for hunting and want the best ammo for accuracy and what not.

I recently found an old .323 spritzer mold for casting and was wondering about electroplating with copper. I understand the process, however I'm wondering if electroplating would alter the size in any concern-able way? I just figured since I'm utterly green that I would ask you gents. Thanks.

You'll have to be OK with lower velocity loads for those cast bullets.
Like 2000fps or lower.
Use a hard alloy, not soft lead.
Poly coating might be easier than electroplating.
Well I was thinking of hard casting and then electroplating. I was under the impression that the aforementioned method was just as good as commercial bullets. I was more wondering if the plating would add to much material.

If the plating is a thin wash like many .22 LR, it wouldn't make any appreciable difference. If it was thicker plating like typical plated bullet product, like Berry's, et al, that would likely make a diff. of .003 to .006 in. in size. Since you are entering waters rarely traversed by ordinary reloaders, likely some experimentation will be involved. You might need to get a cast bullet mold for .318 or one for .32 Win. Special, which is about .321 and go from there. There is more science involved in this than coating. For instance, how will heat from the copper plating affect the lead core? Bullet factories may have techniques that aren't easily replicated in the home.

As a practical matter you're best course is to choose between a cast bullet or a true jacketed one. Because it seems to me like setting up to do the plating thing and do it with a result that satisfies will take some effort and expense. You can buy X amount of ready made, true jacketed bullets perhaps for the cost of setting up to manufacture plated bullets. After all, how many 8mm shots do you plan on firing? In my own experience of shooting Mauser rifles, I didn't pour them out the barrel like I did .223's in an AR.

I agree completely with gmerkt. Plating for your purposes would not be practical. In rifles especially, plated bullets are nowhere near "just as good" as traditional jacketed hunting bullets.

Cast bullets can work well for lighter loads, but they still won't function like a JSP hunting bullet. It's a learning curve to cast, lube, and size them correctly to get good functionality and accuracy in your rifle, and they can't typically be driven to full velocity.

Powder-coated, gas-checked bullets can be made to work pretty well. There are still velocity limitations, but I've had good results with them. There's still a learning curve, and an investment in time and tools, so I wouldn't recommend fooling with them solely to save money.

If you're going to hunt with it, I'd agree with the advice to just buy some decent JSP hunting bullets and load them up.

Interesting thoughts guys, perhaps I should stick with some hard cast with a powder coat. Or like you said buy some jacketed rounds. I suppose the idea of experimenting to hone the perfect bullet is something of a day dream of mine. Maybe I'll try both, thanks for the info guys.

Abdthi - If you are not yet invested in the reloading hardware this may be your lucky day. I am reaching the end of my reloading career for most calibers and am willing to part with my 8mm Mauser stuff. Set of RCBS dies, about 50 or 60 cleaned and deprimed commercial cases, and a few bullets. 38 pcs. Sierra 175 Grn Spitzer, and 38 pcs. Sierra 220 grn dovetail soft point. (weird coincidence that there are 38 of each).

I am in Olympia and would entertain a reasonable offer.

I might have some loaded ammo I would part with as well.

Abdthi - If you are not yet invested in the reloading hardware this may be your lucky day. I am reaching the end of my reloading career for most calibers and am willing to part with my 8mm Mauser stuff. Set of RCBS dies, about 50 or 60 cleaned and deprimed commercial cases, and a few bullets. 38 pcs. Sierra 175 Grn Spitzer, and 38 pcs. Sierra 220 grn dovetail soft point. (weird coincidence that there are 38 of each).

I am in Olympia and would entertain a reasonable offer.

I might have some loaded ammo I would part with as well.
PMed

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads