JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just put a new Tacstar Mag Tube extention on my 870 Police. When I did it I also put the new spring in. My problem is, the shells don't get pushed out now, they stick in the tube. What should I replace? The follower or put a better, extended spring? It didn't happen before.

Replace the original parts and see if the problem goes away. If it does, the problem is the new parts.

The other possibility is that your spring is too short. What is the original capacity of the magazine and what is it after it's fully loaded? Do the first couple of rounds feed?

H

Take a look where you took out the 870's magizine spring retainer and see if there is a dimple in the enterior of the magizine. if there is a dimple the magizine spring can hang up on it and stay compressed.

I've done many 870's and I agree with this answer. I think its getting hung up on the dimples. Have a good gunsmith take care of it or look online how to do it yourself. I've always used the socket method myseld to rid my 870's of the dimples. Though if you aren't a do it yourselfer I'd suggest using a smith! But, being you have a police model I never have seen dimples in any of the police 870's I've had so it may just be the parts like Halmbarte said.... So I'd try both suggestions. I'd love to hear how this ends up so please keep us up to date!

It has no dimples. I've had 870s with them, so I know what you're talking about. It does not do it with the stock parts, and it only does it sometimes now. Some rounds feed fine, but around the 3rd it starts hanging up.

What is the length of new spring? The standard (non-extended tube) 870 Police has a 22" Magazine Spring - measure it to make sure that is what you had before the upgrade and then measure the length of the new spring.

Also when I was at the factory 870 Armorer school they insisted we never use the plastic follower which works fine in a standard 870P when converting 870's over to Extended Tubes and said we need to order the metal magazine spring follower to insure reliable feeding.

Also when I was at the factory 870 Armorer school they insisted we never use the plastic follower which works fine in a standard 870P when converting 870's over to Extended Tubes and said we need to order the metal magazine spring follower to insure reliable feeding.

Duhh...that would've been a great thing for me to add! I too was always told this as well as know it to be factual and was too quick to get to dinner before answering correctly! :)

You didn't mention the length of the new spring but the factory 870P Mag Spring for an 870P w/ Ext. Tube is 28". Check to make sure your spring to make sure it is the correct length.

I just pulled the gun apart and found my problem. Some joker must have bought the extention kit at Fisherman's, and thought it would be funny to return it with a stock spring in the package! The "new" and original springs are the exact same length. The one that came in my gun is more silver and the other one is goldish black. Looks like I'm taking it back to Fisherman's tomorrow.

It's like the 6th 870 I've had...lol. Everything is going wrong with this build. Still waitin on parts I ordered 3 weeks ago! Atleast I only paid $275 for the gun with nice ghost rings.

I'm not technologically advanced enough to put pics on this site, but I love them. They came on the gun, so they didn't cost extra, but after having them, I'd pay the price to have them on another gun. I just want to get a tritium bead for the front.

Well, now I've got a new problem. I put a new mag exention and spring in. Now, I can only load 4 shells! Obviously something isn't going into the mag extention, but the follower fits, shells fit...it's really frustrating!

I've slid the follower into the extention, it went just fine, I also felt inside and felt no lip or burr. I am not using a clamp. Shells also slide through all the parts easy.

DAPSRT, that's exactly what I found. I slid shells in the tube with no spring or follower just fine, then I put the spring in with no follower, worked fine, but it hangs up with the follower in. Hopefully next week I'll have my Wilson set up..then it all goes off to getting coated OD.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews