JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Ok I found that same info somewhere. So I could do it myself, but if you are in the business then you need an FFL.

So having the FFL requires you to record the serial number of a firearm in your possession for more than 24 hours? If someone brings you a firearm with no serial# do you have to refuse service?

Ok I found that same info somewhere. So I could do it myself, but if you are in the business then you need an FFL.

So having the FFL requires you to record the serial number of a firearm in your possession for more than 24 hours? If someone brings you a firearm with no serial# do you have to refuse service?

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes unless it can be proven to be manufactured before a certain date. I don't remember the date offhand, but it's pre WWII if memory serves.

If it was me I would buy a 80% receiver finished in the coating of my choice. After completing I would use something like Alumablack or Duracote to finish the FCP in a matching or close to matching finish.

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes unless it can be proven to be manufactured before a certain date. I don't remember the date offhand, but it's pre WWII if memory serves.

If it was me I would buy a 80% receiver finished in the coating of my choice. After completing I would use something like Alumablack or Duracote to finish the FCP in a matching or close to matching finish.

Great info, thanks Tully.

Unfortunately I do understand all of the legal ramifications of having someone else anodize my lower. I have looked at doing it myself and bypassing all of the SN requirements but to do a hard anodize on the lower myself is pretty cost prohibitive.

I have considered buying an anodized 80% lower but after you finish the milling you still have the same issue as an unanodized lower, soft aluminum.

All of this really brings me back to my original question. Does anyone know of someone locally that could hard anodize a lower but also has an FFL ? My suspicion is that if they can do the work and has an FFL they could probably also engrave it as well.

Unfortunately I do understand all of the legal ramifications of having someone else anodize my lower. I have looked at doing it myself and bypassing all of the SN requirements but to do a hard anodize on the lower myself is pretty cost prohibitive.

I have considered buying an anodized 80% lower but after you finish the milling you still have the same issue as an unanodized lower, soft aluminum.

All of this really brings me back to my original question. Does anyone know of someone locally that could hard anodize a lower but also has an FFL ? My suspicion is that if they can do the work and has an FFL they could probably also engrave it as well.

I bought two that were pre-finished. Milled them out and done. They look great, no pesky logos or otherwise on either side. The FCG isn't going to cause any undue wear on the unfinished aluminum. Especially if you use dogbones (anti-walk/roll pin keepers).

I bought two that were pre-finished. Milled them out and done. They look great, no pesky logos or otherwise on either side. The FCG isn't going to cause any undue wear on the unfinished aluminum. Especially if you use dogbones (anti-walk/roll pin keepers).
Appreciate hearing from someone that has actually used prefinished lowers; thanks!

If you want them finished have it done before you mill it out. I have one that I had custom engraved and cerekoted before and it turned out great.

Doing it before its not a firearm and they can do it with out logging it in to there books so no serial number required.

If you want them finished have it done before you mill it out. I have one that I had custom engraved and cerekoted before and it turned out great.

Doing it before its not a firearm and they can do it with out logging it in to there books so no serial number required.
I hadn't ever considered that before because of the raw aluminum on the inside of the part but Kruel J has suggested it's not anything to worry about. I would still have to do something to the inside to make it black; my OCD is showing.

I hadn't ever considered that before because of the raw aluminum on the inside of the part but Kruel J has suggested it's not anything to worry about. I would still have to do something to the inside to make it black; my OCD is showing.

Just use a couple of coats of Alumablack. If done properly it turns out ok.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top