JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"Slowly but surely the courts are recognizing that recording on-duty police is a protected First Amendment activity. But in the meantime, police around the country continue to intimidate and arrest citizens for doing just that. So if you’re an aspiring cop watcher you must be uniquely prepared to deal with hostile cops."

7 Rules for Recording Police - Reason Magazine

Good, detailed advice for those (of us!) who are reluctant to place their trust in the benevolence of the State's minions. Every thinking citizen should have this page bookmarked.

For a listing of state laws on recording, go here:

Tape-recording laws at a glance | Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press

Good luck with that in Beaverton, Or.

http://www.pixiq.com/article/oregon...nition-of-law-get-in-the-way-of-a-few-arrests

Beaverton police chief: Film officers at your own slight risk | OregonLive.com

This guy thinks he is above the rule of law and makes up his own, at the taxpayers expense.

The evidence is erased and the officer who did it gets a promotion and as a thanks from the chief.

If you doubt my findings as stated above, do your own google search of the chief. I truly feel this is the kind of cop that gives them all a bad name, in the eye of the public.

M67

Oregon police chief won't let definition of law get in the way of a few arrests | Pixiq

This guy thinks he is above the rule of law and makes up his own, at the taxpayers expense.

The evidence is erased and the officer who did it gets a promotion and as a thanks from the chief.

If you doubt my findings as stated above, do your own google search of the chief. I truly feel this is the kind of cop that gives them all a bad name, in the eye of the public.

M67

Sounds like the makings of a 6 digit suit easy for the next time...this COP has openly stated he will flaunt the law, and has a pattern of doing so...that can get the city into some serious punitive damages. He can talk as tuff as he wants, but the Federal courts will make both him, personally, and the city pay.

Oregon police chief won't let definition of law get in the way of a few arrests | Pixiq

M67

The responsibility is on the residents of Beaverton. It is mostly their asses at stake, they need to put pressure on City Council to kick the Chief back into his place or replace him altogether.

I'm also wondering, is there a way to seek assistance from Sheriff or State Police when such unlawful arrest is taking place ?

Sounds like the makings of a 6 digit suit easy for the next time...this COP has openly stated he will flaunt the law, and has a pattern of doing so...that can get the city into some serious punitive damages. He can talk as tuff as he wants, but the Federal courts will make both him, personally, and the city pay.

When was the last time you heard of a successful 6-digit lawsuit ? Just curious.

There were actually a couple of them referenced in the links provided.

I only saw a $19K settlement plus $41K legal expenses, out of $190K claimed... Now I don't even know whether $41K includes expenses for the initial representation, or he pays for that out of the $19K. And that's basically how most of those go.

I know I saw some settlements for 160K... but they may have been referenced in the original link in the OP. I went down the rabbit hole from the original link and ended up reading all kinds of references to other cases and claims regarding recording police and past rulings, precedents and settlements/judgments.

In car camera systems are getting very cheap now. 12v DVRs with 32-128gb SD cards. Work like a regular DVR; start recording on motion or when car is started; can log GPS, etc.

A lot more cops will need to deal with citizens with cameras just like we have to deal with millions of cameras watching as lowly peasants all day long. It doesn't mean that a system that encourages tyranny will allow you to do anything with the information though of course.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wide-150-de...528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc19ef3b8

Couple things... set your phone to automatically upload to a online file storage site and or social media and make sure your phone is password protected at standby so they can't try to delete it, worst case if they get far along most sites will let you recover files within a certain time frame. Thankfully Washington County DAs won't touch charges like that, but that doesn't mean Beaverton won't try to prosecute it as a crime in their own muni court.

Beaverton's chief is an example of someone who shouldn't be a cop, the saving grace here is things like this will come back to bite him later. He is more concerned with protecting his own, especially those breaking the laws they are supposed to enforce.

It really is simple, if the cops isn't doing anything wrong, what do they have to hide?

Couple things... set your phone to automatically upload it to a online file storage site and or social media, and make sure your phone is password protected so they can't try to delete it.

Pull the battery to prevent upload. Remove the storage card, put it into computer's card reader, format it with block overwrite ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top