JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got an ARC?

Post up your thoughts on it!

Getting those manufacturers posted velocities?

Some high BCs in .243.

Solution for a problem that didn't exist?

Thanks,

Reno

6mm ARC was designed for special ops of the military. 6mm ARC goes farther with more umph(technical term!) than a 7.62. Doesn't go transonic until past 1000 yds. The cartridge is smaller and lighter weight allowing for a troop to carry more ammunition farther when in the field. The weapon designed for this was a modified REC7. They replaced the military version with a 20" carbon fiber barrel, a different bolt (essentially a 6.5 Grendel Type 2) and will need a new magazine to accommodate the cartridge's fat body + short length.

Looking at Hornady's velocities don't always follow. They tested the cartridge in a 24" barrel but that's not available in the CF version and a 24" barrel would make hunting with it cumbersome at best. But I am sure that newer figures are available since I built mine. Haven't shot it lately either. Guess I will now.

So technically the problem did exist. Military request for options. Last I heard only special ops of differing branches are testing/using the cartridge. Ammo was inexpensive for a long while in 2020 bc it wasn't real popular but it has doubled by now.

I have one just for fun and small critters. I haven't had a chance to shoot the heavier rounds for it yet, just worked up some loads for 87 grain varmint loads. I stayed with the AR platform but with a bolt action upper just to be different and run the higher pressures instead of being limited by the Grendel pressures.

This would be mostly for reloading gun and shooting paper.

I'd rather go bolt over gas, but ballistic advantage does make a 24" barrel for it.

I put a Proof Research pre-fit stainless 26" on a Bighorn (Zermatt) Origin action. A Trigger Tech Diamond 2 stage trigger and an MPA BA Comp chassis. Shooting 108 ELD-M's at 2850 FPS. Consistent out to 15-1600 yards. Hit the mile target with it a couple of times, but I think that distance is a little too far for the ARC. Lots of fun to shoot, zero recoil, you see everything happening in the scope. It sips powder compared to other long range offerings.

I put a Proof Research pre-fit stainless 26" on a Bighorn (Zermatt) Origin action. A Trigger Tech Diamond 2 stage trigger and an MPA BA Comp chassis. Shooting 108 ELD-M's at 2850 FPS. Consistent out to 15-1600 yards. Hit the mile target with it a couple of times, but I think that distance is a little too far for the ARC. Lots of fun to shoot, zero recoil, you see everything happening in the scope. It sips powder compared to other long range offerings.
That sounds awesome.

I was looking at the Savage 110 in it and was disappointed it only had an 18" barrel. Seems like this needs at least a 24" to be decent with the heavy stuff.

Bought the Savage from Sportsmans, or at least I tried to, first time ever I got put into the queue so I'll see it in a week or so. Never have I been put in the queue, kind of annoying. Makes me wonder if they are not processing CHLs anymore as I've seen a bunch of CHL holders get put in the queue lately.

Looking to put this into a better stock. And work up some loads for it. Being a bolt gun, looks like I can push the pressure a bit higher than in a gas gun.

My hopes are to be able to push the heavier pills to at least 2800-3000 fps.

Shouldn't be a problem, just to fire form some 6.5 Grendel brass I was pushing 87 Vmax bullets 3050 using 31 grains of Leverloution, 22" barrel no signs of over pressure and below the 32.5 grain max listed load. Elevation was about 1300' and 22" barrel…

Shouldn't be a problem, just to fire form some 6.5 Grendel brass I was pushing 87 Vmax bullets 3050 using 31 grains of Leverloution, 22" barrel no signs of over pressure and below the 32.5 grain max listed load. Elevation was about 1300' and 22" barrel…
Good to hear. Did you get the same savage?

Maybe 2800. 243 Winchester, using a 308 case, can struggle to get much over 3000 with 100gr bullets.
It's crazy that 6 arc is pushing the same pills as fast as the bigger 243 with about half the powder.

Ideally I want a 22 Grendel. Doesn't look like that's going Saami spec any time soon. 6mm ain't much smaller than 6.5, but it's got its advantage, just barely.

It will be a fun cartridge to play around with.

What's old is new. The 1895 6MM Lee Navy might be considered the grandfather of all of this. Since it begot the .220 Swift, I wonder if a .243 Swift might be the thing? Such a cartridge would fit the AR10 platform. Hmmm...
Lol, yup!

This is like 243 small.

I got the Savage from sportsmans last week. One range session so far with factory hornady 108 eldm match ammo. I'm impressed. Shoots great groups with not much recoil. FYI midway has the 103 eldx factory seconds on sale right now for $32 a hundred. Just got 500 to try.

I got the Savage from sportsmans last week. One range session so far with factory hornady 108 eldm match ammo. I'm impressed. Shoots great groups with not much recoil. FYI midway has the 103 eldx factory seconds on sale right now for $32 a hundred. Just got 500 to try.
Thanks for the heads up on the bullets. They had quite a selection of various calibers in stock.

I am thoroughly enjoying this gentleman's YouTube channel.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top