JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My favorite revolver of all time, and I was finally able to find the exact model I have wanted, a 625-6 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt. Trigger is of course fantastic in both DA and SA, and it's amazingly light, only weighs a couple ounces more than the equivalent K frame in .357. Need to get a 280gr bullet mold and get some loads worked up for it.

20220124_132019.jpg

My favorite revolver of all time, and I was finally able to find the exact model I have wanted, a 625-6 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt. Trigger is of course fantastic in both DA and SA, and it's amazingly light, only weighs a couple ounces more than the equivalent K frame in .357. Need to get a 280gr bullet mold and get some loads worked up for it.

View attachment 1115369
Very nice revolver, I myself have the 5" 25-7 with un-fluted cylinder in .45 colt as well.

DSC04844.JPG

I no longer have them but have had a couple of 25-5's over the years, both in 4 in. bbl. One was blue, the other was bright nickel. I liked them both.

The nickel gun, I bought that in a police supply store decades ago when I lived in a large city. At the time, officers in the PD there could carry any sidearm that they could qualify on. Some liked the nickel 25-5 because it was big, shiny, and had a large hole in the end of the barrel, which they claimed made a greater impression on crooks when pointed at them. The police supply store always had them in stock, and they were sold at wholesale. I think I paid $200-something in the early 1980's. Bought in the police supply store, they didn't come in a fancy wooden box, just paper.

I also had a couple of the Model 1955's, later called a 25-2, I think they were. These came in 6-1/2 in. bbl. length only, as I recall. .45 ACP with clips or .45 Auto Rim, which was my preference. Very fine shooting guns. These were "target guns" but in my case factory stock.

The N frame revolvers from Smith & Wesson have long been a favorite design of mine. I've owned them in many different cartridges but these days I've only got one that I've kept, a .357.

From Day One, I've found the term, "Mountain Gun" amusing. When I see those words, I think, 75mm pack howitzer.

I have a 329 PD in .44 mag. It is a pleasure to carry and a spiteful beast to shoot.

I would like the same thing in .45 LC setup to also shoot .45 ACP.

I also own a 460V and compared to the 329, it is a pleasure to shoot and a beast to carry. Even with strong .460 magnum loads - the weight (2.4X the PD weight) and the muzzle brake make it much more enjoyable to shoot

I've always wanted one of those, never been able to find a deal. I didn't know they came in 45lc that is a great combo. Nice score!
Also why a 280gr mold and not 255/250gr mold like a RNFP or SWC? I would think that reloading data was easier to locate.

I've always wanted one of those, never been able to find a deal. I didn't know they came in 45lc that is a great combo. Nice score!
Also why a 280gr mold and not 255/250gr mold like a RNFP or SWC? I would think that reloading data was easier to locate.
I already have a good Keith type 255gr mold to use, so I wanted something a little heavier. My plan is to get an LBT style LFN bullet to use in a lever gun too.

I've got some data for it already, even data for the 23k psi loads that these are capable of.

I already have a good Keith type 255gr mold to use, so I wanted something a little heavier. My plan is to get an LBT style LFN bullet to use in a lever gun too.

I've got some data for it already, even data for the 23k psi loads that these are capable of.

13k psi I think is saami spec I think 23k is for 45lc that's in lever action/ Ruger revolver range. Are you getting any leading with that and are you Slugging your barrels? I have some 255gr rnfp that are coated but if I push it past saami spec it leads bad.

13k psi I think is saami spec I think 23k is for 45lc that's in lever action/ Ruger revolver range. Are you getting any leading with that and are you Slugging your barrels? I have some 255gr rnfp that are coated but if I push it past saami spec it leads bad.
14k is the spec for 45 colt, but that's in deference to the old single actions. Rugers are rated to 30k or more with special thicker cylinders, the 625 series is rated for .45 ACP+p which is 23k, the only difference between this gun and a .45 auto is the length of the chamber, they will easily handle hotter than standard loads, but I plan to keep it under 20k most likely, 45 colt will do plenty at that pressure. Even standard .45 Auto is 21k, which an old 1917 with no heat treat will handle all day long.

If you get leading at anything besides full on rifle pressure and speed something is wrong. At very low pressure it's likely either your bullets are too hard or undersize.

14k is the spec for 45 colt, but that's in deference to the old single actions. Rugers are rated to 30k or more with special thicker cylinders, the 625 series is rated for .45 ACP+p which is 23k, the only difference between this gun and a .45 auto is the length of the chamber, they will easily handle hotter than standard loads, but I plan to keep it under 20k most likely, 45 colt will do plenty at that pressure. Even standard .45 Auto is 21k, which an old 1917 with no heat treat will handle all day long.

If you get leading at anything besides full on rifle pressure and speed something is wrong. At very low pressure it's likely either your bullets are too hard or undersize.

I think it's my Cylinder chamber in my Ruger Blackhawk, I measured them and there's two that are off. I'm going to either have to send the cylinder off or ream it myself.

I think it's my Cylinder chamber in my Ruger Blackhawk, I measured them and there's two that are off. I'm going to either have to send the cylinder off or ream it myself.
The throat is the important part, Ruger frequently leaves them small for better performance with jacketed bullets. The throat should be .001 larger than groove diameter, and then size your bullets to fit the throat. Have the throats reamed to .4525 or .453 and likely all your issues will disappear.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top