JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to get into precision rifle shooting...would like to reach out to 600yds with confidence. I have never really done much long rifle shooting. I've had a remington 700 VTR in .308 but it wasn't nearly as accurate as I had hoped. Not to mention is short bolt I want to go long bolt caliber... Whats a good rifle/caliber to help me accomplish my goal and be under 1500-2k?

Even if your consistantly using the same Match Grade ammo?
well define presicion... maybe I just mean to say 'accurate'

Alot of the nice precision rifles I have seen are 3k-9k price tag...its insane.

Wondering what kind of accuracy I can get for 1500$'ish. or even just a grand would be great...spend 500 on a scope maybe

I no longer have the VTR. My ar15 shot better groups on plinker ammo...

Get a used Remington 700, long action. Put a new 300 WM barrel on it and a Leupold scope--you should be able to get there under $1500. All is for naught if you don't make your own bullets.

Consistently using match grade ammo might be the same as putting high-octane gas in a '87 Plymouth K car--sure it will get you where you want to be, but you're wasting your money in any hopes of higher performance--it just won't happen unless you get really, really lucky.

This is a four-shot group at 100yds. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but at 600 yds, this will be within minute-of-paper plate.

tight group.jpg

I use a Savage 25-06 with factory target barrel and custom trigger. 600 yards with a 117 grain Noslers is just getting started :) I have had that bullet and trajectory perform well out to 1100 yards so far. I'm not sure of it's energy that it's carrying, but it does very well. It's trajectory is much easier to work with than my 300 win mag. 6.5's work very well also.

I think you mean 115 grain Noslers...
Assuming you're getting 3000 fps at the muzzle, you've got about 1000 ft/lbs at 600 yrds.

Just for an FYI--I shoot a 100 gr Nosler out of my 25-06 at about 3450 fps. You may want to give it a try, as at 600 yrds, this load has more energy and shoots a little flatter.

I think you mean 115 grain Noslers...
Assuming you're getting 3000 fps at the muzzle, you've got about 1000 ft/lbs at 600 yrds.

Just for an FYI--I shoot a 100 gr Nosler out of my 25-06 at about 3450 fps. You may want to give it a try, as at 600 yrds, this load has more energy and shoots a little flatter.

Yup, was a typo. I'm getting 3300-3400 right now with 52.5 gr. of IMR 4350 and mag primers. I shoot everything from the 75 grain Vmax and Sierra hp to the 115's. All seem to work very well except the Speer 120 sp. Can't get that bullet to shoot at all.

Not really into building the stock from scratch like that but Kudos, that's neat

The savage 12 Long Range Precision rifle in their Target rifle series in a 6.5 or .260 looks right up my alley though!

Model: 12 Long Range Precision
Series: Target AccuTrigger: Yes
Sights: n/a AccuStock : No
Magazine: Detachable box Stock material: Fiberglass
Barrel material: Carbon Steel Stock finish: Matte
Barrel finish: Matte Stock color: Natural
Barrel color: Black Action: Short
Handed: Right

Features: HS Precison Fiberglass Stock, Target AccuTrigger

Available chamberings:
SKU Caliber: Rate of
Twist: Length*: Weight*: Ammo
Cap.: MSRP**:
Barrel: Overall:
19136 243 WIN 1 in 9.25" 26" 46.25" 11 lbs 4 $1081.00
19137 6.5 CREEDMORE 1 in 8" 26" 46.25" 11 lbs 4 $1081.00
19138 260 REM 1 in 8" 26" 46.25" 11 lbs 4 $1081.00

My bro-in-law's Dad just sold their company (bowtech archery) to Savage Arms not that long ago, I wonder if he still has the hookup on rifles. He has a few sporter type savage rifles he got for free when they did the exchange.

So you are saying you're getting 3350 fps with a 115 NBT with 52.5 gr of IMR 4350? No offense, but I'm very dubious. I could see you getting those numbers with an 85 gr bullet. Is your barrel longer than 26"?

So you are saying you're getting 3350 fps with a 115 NBT with 52.5 gr of IMR 4350? No offense, but I'm very dubious. I could see you getting those numbers with an 85 gr bullet. Is your barrel longer than 26"?

I will let you in a not so much of a secret. It has to do with how far (or close) a certain bullet likes to be from the lands.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top