JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm soon to build a Mauser 98 into a replica of the German Trench gun. I have the 20 round repro Trench Gun magazine. The 98 I already have with the same barrel does 1 MOA with irons and my handloads, or (so far) with Winchester White Box. It's in military trim with straight bolt so I have no correct way to mount a scope on it

I'm soon to build a Mauser 98 into a replica of the German Trench gun. I have the 20 round repro Trench Gun magazine. The 98 I already have with the same barrel does 1 MOA with irons and my handloads, or (so far) with Winchester White Box. It's in military trim with straight bolt so I have no correct way to mount a scope on it

Didn't the war time Mausers have a scope mount that actually bolted to the buttstock? I seen one in a cheaper than dirt catalog. Might be able to get something like that for your rifle, that'd be neat!

Didn't the war time Mausers have a scope mount that actually bolted to the buttstock? I seen one in a cheaper than dirt catalog. Might be able to get something like that for your rifle, that'd be neat!

I have not seen that but I have seen the military Mausers with a receiver mount.. of course they are near priceless now. If you have any info on that let me know, this will be a fun gun to build and shoot

If you want to spend $1500 the 2009 Team USA world champions shot stock Savage rifles (not sure of exact model but might have been FTRs) in .308 and they recommended the Savage model 10 as a lower priced good gun for entry level. If really interested I can give you and email address of one of the world champions that has some of those type rifles for sale for about $1200 I think. Or you can go to www.douglasridge.org and click on the officers page and his contact info is there. His name is John Weil.

I'm also curious as to why you want a long action? There are a lot of short action calibers that will get you to 600 with a shorter bolt throw. Honestly, if you're not that familiar with distance shooting, start with a Rem 700 in .308, like an SPS for $600, that you can upgrade along the way. Get an inexpensive older Super Sniper scope for $300 bucks (10X) and get a bunch of match ammo. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to work towards 1/2 MOA with that combo, and figure out what upgrades you might like. Maybe change the stock or the scope in time... That will get you shooting and figuring out what works for you.
Jason

Of course if you do not want to spend a bunch of money Samurai is right on target. Just recently got my wife a Rem 700 ADL (now the SPS) with bull barrel in .308 for $399 at the local Dick's sporting goods store (that's a story all by itself). Added a nice Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40 scope (on sale at Midway for $300) and just yesterday she shot it for the first time with the new scope and managed to get 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. Now she will work up loads and see how it goes from here. So you don't have to spend a ton of money to get started, but then if money is no object...

To be honest, I just got done using a Remington 700 SPS, with a Nikon 6-18x40 Buckmaster. I was ringing steel at 600 to 1000 yards. Just took some patience and practice.

Oh, and a good spotter to help me out. Put your money in good ammo, and practice. dropping $3500 on a new rifle/scope just isn't needed. I put perhaps $1200 into my entire setup.

Now I have other ideas on how to improve it, but I just went out and did it to start. Otherwise you are just tossing money away.

-M

PS I didn't read mustang7513's post before I posted! haha. Or Samurai's! So that is three of us, with the same idea.

PS PS: One thing, which is really important, make sure you have a 20 MOA mount. You will want it when you start getting to 900+ yards. Otherwise you run out of turret.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top