Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

6.5 grendel wont go fully into battery.

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by ghostmoney, Apr 14, 2014.

1. ghostmoney

ghostmoney Salem Member

Have a 6.5 grendel AR-15 that the last time I shot it failed to eject a round. Afterwards i noticed that the extractor was broken. I replaced the entire bolt and it would not go into battery. I thought I had messed up and ordered the wrong 6.5 grendel bolt so I ordered the other style grendel bolt, but that one also wont fully go into battery either. Anyone have this experience before?

2. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

When assembled without a round, does the bolt rotate into the breech?
    If it doesn't, ck the bolt carrier key and the gas tube, ensure they mate. Ck for carbon buildup
    If it does, load a round, and the bolt won't rotate into the breech, the ammo is at fault.

3. ghostmoney

ghostmoney Salem Member

No the bolt does not rotate into the breech without a round. Will pull the bolt and try inserting just the carrier to try and isolate the problem to the bolt carrier key and gas tube. Didn't think that would be an issue as it was fine before the FTE.

4. snew

snew Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Grendels gave two different depth bolt faces. I bet you have the shallower face and need the deeper one.

5. ghostmoney

ghostmoney Salem Member

That is what I also thought, and ordered the other one. So I currently have both types and neither will work.

6. ghostmoney

ghostmoney Salem Member

I took the bolt out and the carrier goes into the upper without any resistance. I also played with inserting only the bolt into the bolt face with both bolts, and they looked to be going in deep enough so I inserted the carrier and with the type II bolt I was able to get it to go completely into battery. This was without the bolt pin and firing pin being inserted though and when I put the bolt back into the carrier I was unable to get it to go into battery again.

7. ghostmoney

ghostmoney Salem Member

bump

8. JBRC

JBRC Ridgefield, WA New Member

Is this an Alexander Arms rifle?

9. ghostmoney

ghostmoney Salem Member

No this is a custom upper.. I found the problem to be a small nick on the backside of the lugs on the barrel that was preventing the bolt from rotating. Once I shaved it down the bolt went into battery effortlessly.

10. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

opps saw you solved it .

11. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

milling the M-4 feed ramps often leave burrs on the inside of the barrel extension