JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have two .300 BLK builds and a .223 Wylde which will need headspace checked. Gauge availability seems haphazard at best...and every brand I look at has a few bad reviews. Amazon has a Forster set available, but through a third party seller. Midway only has the PTG .300 BLK NoGo in stock. Brownells has the Clymer set in stock, but with a couple bad reviews. To make options even worse, my local gunsmith just moved 50 miles away...so that adds 2 hours of travel plus fuel into the cost. Done whining for now...any thoughts on preferred gauge manufacturers, or ones to avoid??

You can rent headspace gauges, usually around $30 a set for 3 days including shipping both ways. Some of the same rental places also sell new gauges for a reasonable price. Manson Reamers is a reputable source for buying. They have a "Down and Dirty" set for a few chamberings that's a good deal. Keep in mind that the .300 AAC Blackout gauges are sometimes listed as .221 Rem Fireball.

ETA: Here's a short primer on headspace gauges. Specifically, "No-Go" for rimless rifle cartridges are not a SAAMI spec and that dimension is set by the barrel maker. Those gauge dimensions can vary between manufacturers.
Dave Manson gauges PDF

Last Edited:
Really aren't many out there I'd say to stay away from. I'd think there would be obvious signs in ways of bad reviews on any from the main sellers. Checking to see if Amazon has the same products over brownells or midway might be a chance at saving a few bucks.

I've used all three you listed and all rifles they were used on passed and operate to this day. My clymer is nice because it has a cutout that keeps me from having to remove the extractor to get a good reading. PTG come color coded. As for a "go" gauge, I'd recommend removing your firing pin and using a factory round instead of buying an expensive piece of metal you may not use many times

You can rent headspace gauges, usually around $30 a set for 3 days including shipping both ways. Some of the same rental places also sell new gauges for a reasonable price. Manson Reamers is a reputable source for buying. They have a "Down and Dirty" set for a few chamberings that's a good deal. Keep in mind that the .300 AAC Blackout gauges are sometimes listed as .221 Rem Fireball.

ETA: Here's a short primer on headspace gauges. Specifically, "No-Go" for rimless rifle cartridges are not a SAAMI spec and that dimension is set by the barrel maker. Those gauge dimensions can vary between manufacturers.
Dave Manson gauges PDF
Thanks for the info and link.

I would not use a random factory round unless you verifiy it's headspace.
But that is hard to do unless you have an optical comparator, case gauge, ext.
Our gauges are not the economical ones but you only cry once I suppose. I'd love to be able to make them more economical but the way the world is going well...
Forester seem more pretty economical but I have not checked any.
I feel the GO gauge is more useful than a NOGO, most people add tape to the back to make it a NOGO or stack tape to find out how terrible it is. I use a GO constantly to zero my head space comparator when I'm reloading.

Now if you can get a head space comparator and borrow a gauge you could self certify a piece of brass to use as a GO.

All i know is that I ordered my only set so far from Pacific tool and gauge in early December and I still don't have them. Despite them telling me like 15 times now that "they're shipping out this week 100%". Lead time was 30 days they originally told me

Very frustrating, I think I'd try to rent some if I need them again. Might still rent some and cancel my order with PT&G if they dont send my order soon 😑

I would not use a random factory round unless you verifiy it's headspace.
But that is hard to do unless you have an optical comparator, case gauge, ext.
Our gauges are not the economical ones but you only cry once I suppose. I'd love to be able to make them more economical but the way the world is going well...
Forester seem more pretty economical but I have not checked any.
I feel the GO gauge is more useful than a NOGO, most people add tape to the back to make it a NOGO or stack tape to find out how terrible it is. I use a GO constantly to zero my head space comparator when I'm reloading.

Now if you can get a head space comparator and borrow a gauge you could self certify a piece of brass to use as a GO.
All things being equal...my preference would be to spend a bit more once, buying quality rather than budget tooling. Realities of current WA legal restrictions and personal budget constraints, puts a big question mark in front of future build ideas...so limited use changes that equation a bit. Managed to find both Forster gauges separately, shipped by Amazon, putting their purchase back into my comfort zone...they should arrive this afternoon, so time to look up specs and break out measuring tools.

I'm still pretty new at assembling my own firearms, so substituting a factory round for a true gauge might work in an emergency...but pushes everything out of my personal comfort zone. Always nice to learn about options though...

All i know is that I ordered my only set so far from Pacific tool and gauge in early December and I still don't have them. Despite them telling me like 15 times now that "they're shipping out this week 100%". Lead time was 30 days they originally told me

Very frustrating, I think I'd try to rent some if I need them again. Might still rent some and cancel my order with PT&G if they dont send my order soon 😑
Unless you have a guaranteed delivery/shipping date in writing from them, you will most likely be charged a 15% cancellation fee. It's in their terms and conditions and they are notoriously known for that and what you are experiencing.

I have Clymer, Forster and PTG GO gauges. To make them into NO GO, I use a piece of cellophane tape.
The last four barrels I had made were all shouldered, and headspaced by the 'Smith.
ORW checked the headspace on my last two AR builds. You, living at the Salish Sea in the shadows of Evil Jay and Turd Bob, are a bit far from them.
Glad you found some on Amazon. The best deals, I've found at Grizzly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top