JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have the compatitor but this works better and is more reliable. I simplified the post in that I use a Wilson micrometer seater so I get the case to bearing point measure based on the closed bolt. Then I take off .002" with the micrometer most of the time.

I have more bullets though that shoot better when stuffed in the lands.

Point with coloring the bullet is so I don't pull the bullet in a clean up for reuse. I have 4-6 different dummies depending on the caliber. At least one per bullet. Then 1-3 different depths.

I am doing load development for 223 right now. Three dummies so far.

Other option with a Wilson is to get multiple seating stems to reproduce different seating depths.

Got it!
It seams like you are not needing any bullet jump. I would consider taking in to account any concentric problems between the cartridge and the bullet. Bullet jump does allow a little wiggle room for that problem.....
Let me know what type of grouping you are getting at 100 yds. with bench shooting results. If your bullets are pressing into the Breach to hard, they should be shooting pretty wide..
Very interesting, and am very curious!
Larry243

Are you shooting good patterns ? If they are acceptable to you, then sounds like you are god to go. If your ballistics are good through a Chronograph, and you are shooting where you want, It won't get any better then that. The bullet must meet the ballistics standard, or it is all for nothing. The bullet expansion is based on its velocity at impact....
Please keep me up to speed with your testing and shot placement...
Larry243
I was just providing my measurements since the OP has the same rifle I figured his measurements to the lands should be similar to mine. Still working on load development with this load but I'm just shooting paper and steel so bullet expansion isn't a concern.

I was just providing my measurements since the OP has the same rifle I figured his measurements to the lands should be similar to mine. Still working on load development with this load but I'm just shooting paper and steel so bullet expansion isn't a concern.

Yep, thats for sure...
I did not know if you were hunting with that bullet or not... It is amazing how much different powders can make with the same bullet seating. I have determined that Hodgdon's H-4350 powder for every bullet I shoot in the Creedmoor seams to work pretty darn well. IMR-4350 powder does not work well at all for me.
Since I do use the Creedmoor for just hunting, I am all tuned up for the 129 Grn SST bullet from Hornady that I load, and only shoot in that gun. I shoot various loads in my .243 from 58 grn to 105 grn. This is the rifle I punch paper with...
Keep in-touch, PS.... I lived in Hockenson for 5 years...LOL
Larry 243

Got it!
It seams like you are not needing any bullet jump. I would consider taking in to account any concentric problems between the cartridge and the bullet. Bullet jump does allow a little wiggle room for that problem.....
Let me know what type of grouping you are getting at 100 yds. with bench shooting results. If your bullets are pressing into the Breach to hard, they should be shooting pretty wide..
Very interesting, and am very curious!
Larry243
My 6mm br load is about .2" savage 12 benchrest with criterion barrel.

IMG_0502.JPG
5 shot group At 100

IMG_0749.JPG
At 600 lower 4 before scope correction
Inner ring 3". Second ring 6" 2 spotters and 20 for record.

My 223 is not trimmed necks and RCBS small base dies on a rifle with the standard savage accutrigger. in load development. h4895. Best load out with Berger 70gr VLDs is .37 - .39".

223 10 shot group. barrel break in with sierra 69gr match king hp 100yd
IMG_1293.JPG IMG_1295.JPG

Not shown.

I load 10 of each variation and shoot two targets over an hour so I can compare like groups at different barrel conditions and shooter tiredness.

I have interesting results on that and consider the technique to be sound.

I have the same load outs of H4895 with sierra 69gr tipped match king. Was going to go this am but too much to do packing gifts then it was too icy to get up our road.

My .204 with 39gr sierra blitz kings on RL10X is about .25-.5 or so at 100 although I did get a hit on a squeak at 450yards a few years back.

.204 an 6mmbr are Wilson dies. The 223 is supposed to be my cheap to shoot easy to handload rifle and is RCBS.

Last Edited:
Got it!

I turn my necks to .011" on Lapua brass then expand it to .241" ID. I use the Wilson seater which really limits run out. I checked concentricity for a while but was never more than .003" out so stopped worrying. No change in scores when I stopped correcting.

My 6mm br load is about .2" savage 12 benchrest with criterion barrel.

View attachment 415851
At 100

View attachment 415852
At 600 lower 4 before scope correction
Inner ring 3". Second ring 6"

My 223 is not trimmed necks and RCBS small base dies on a rifle with the standard savage accutrigger. in load development. h4895. Best load out with Berger 70gr VLDs is .37 - .39".

223 10 shot group. barrel break in with sierra 69gr match king hp 100yd
View attachment 415853 View attachment 415854

Not shown.

I load 10 of each variation and shoot two targets over an hour so I can compare like groups at different barrel conditions and shooter tiredness.

I have interesting results on that and consider the technique to be sound.

I have the same load outs of H4895 with sierra 69gr tipped match king. Was going to go this am but too much to do packing gifts then it was too icy to get up our road.

My .204 with 39gr sierra blitz kings on RL10X is about .25-.5 or so at 100 although I did get a hit on a squeak at 450yards a few years back.

.204 an 6mmbr are Wilson dies. The 223 is supposed to be my cheap to shoot easy to handload rifle and is RCBS.

Those are some solid patterns. The great thing about re-loading is that Guys can develop what they need, and not what they have. One of the things that have really helped me is to reduce the trigger pull to 2 lbs. with the Accutrigger also. Although I have to certify all my shooting with the bench rest, I know it can then depend on the rifle to shoot correctly when I have to off hand shhot when needed. If I miss.... Then I missed!
A am surprised that you do not trim your cartridges to ensure no chamber contact....
Looks like your .223 and .204 are pretty well dialed in.
Good shooting,
Larry243

View attachment 415865 Oh I do trim. I use wilson OAL case gauges. Every piece gets checked and if over max gets trimmed on a Wilson case trimmer. Chamfered inside and out afterward.

Just didn't mention it.

Now your Cooken...
Case preparation is so important if you want consistency. I use mostly Hornady reloading equipment, but use a digital weigh scale for powder. I also wire brush the neck inside with the same brush as the bore. It removes any caked on residue and makes sure I get metal to metal when reloading. I prep all brass before Tumbling, including reaming the primer hole.
Keep shooten straight, or no dinner for you!
Larry243

I turn my necks to .011" on Lapua brass then expand it to .241" ID. I use the Wilson seater which really limits run out. I checked concentricity for a while but was never more than .003" out so stopped worrying. No change in scores when I stopped correcting.

Some times more work is not better work!
Larry243

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top