JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone have any load data on these bullets? My main concern is the OAL. I'm new to reloading and have not figure out my rifles OAL yet. It's a magazine fed Tikka T3X CTR. The RDF bullets are long, would I be ok loading them based on other Nosler 140/142 GR loads? The RDF's measure 1.409 as opposed to the Nosler Custom Competition measuring 1.203

The accubond long range is even a little longer than the RDF, just follow their OAL data for accubond and work up and you'll be fine.

I'm not familiar with the throats in tikkas but as soon as you can you should find out how long .02" off the rifling is and start loading at that OAL. If the throat is too long and you have to load to magazine length then that's what you have to do.

Basically the point is as long as you start low and work up it doesn't matter all that much what your OAL is.

The accubond long range is even a little longer than the RDF, just follow their OAL data for accubond and work up and you'll be fine.

I'm not familiar with the throats in tikkas but as soon as you can you should find out how long .02" off the rifling is and start loading at that OAL. If the throat is too long and you have to load to magazine length then that's what you have to do.

Basically the point is as long as you start low and work up it doesn't matter all that much what your OAL is.
Thank you for the reply. This helps a lot

Look into the Hornady OAL gauge. It is pretty affordable and easy to use. I know I was a little intimidated by the process but looked it up on Youtube and realized it is very simple. I reloaded for 7 years without one and wish in had got one years ago.

Look into the Hornady OAL gauge. It is pretty affordable and easy to use. I know I was a little intimidated by the process but looked it up on Youtube and realized it is very simple. I reloaded for 7 years without one and wish in had got one years ago.
I've reloaded for a long time and have a good selection of tools, but don't have one of these. I believe it's the next one.

I've reloaded for a long time and have a good selection of tools, but don't have one of these. I believe it's the next one.

I too went a long time without one, there are ways that work just as well without, but they're not that expensive and make the process so much smoother and easier, definitely worth it.

So someone will chime in if I do this wrong I'm sure
Take your empty,primer free case and size it. Then run your seating dies up pretty high and seat a bullet.
Then take a sharpie and blacken the bullet in the case WITH NO PRIMER and chamber it in your gun.
Remove and look at bullet for scratches on bullet.
Repeat process,turning down the seating screw each time until there isn't any scratches. So when you turn the screw down only turn it a wee bit.
That's how I was told by someone smarter than me in reloading.
Some European rifles have more throat,like a CZ and you have to go by max magazine length. My Ruger American it comes real close to the mag length,so you may want to start there with the process above.

So someone will chime in if I do this wrong I'm sure
Take your empty,primer free case and size it. Then run your seating dies up pretty high and seat a bullet.
Then take a sharpie and blacken the bullet in the case WITH NO PRIMER and chamber it in your gun.
Remove and look at bullet for scratches on bullet.
Repeat process,turning down the seating screw each time until there isn't any scratches. So when you turn the screw down only turn it a wee bit.
That's how I was told by someone smarter than me in reloading.
Some European rifles have more throat,like a CZ and you have to go by max magazine length. My Ruger American it comes real close to the mag length,so you may want to start there with the process above.
I'll try this. Good idea

Does anyone have any load data on these bullets? My main concern is the OAL. I'm new to reloading and have not figure out my rifles OAL yet. It's a magazine fed Tikka T3X CTR. The RDF bullets are long, would I be ok loading them based on other Nosler 140/142 GR loads? The RDF's measure 1.409 as opposed to the Nosler Custom Competition measuring 1.203

Hello,
If you go to Hornady.com, they have all the load data you could ever want... They do a great job on providing re-loading data...
Enjoy,
Larry243

Danielsp...Some good advise here. Wish you were closer, we could measure your rifle with my Hornady AOL tool. For what its worth, factory Hornady 147gr factory ammo measures 2.805 COAL and makes a long jump in my Savage to hit the rifling at 2.887" But its still shoot small groups. Many of the newer bullets seem less sensitive to seating depth ... Hybrid Berger's especially...if you can afford them. Enjoy

Sounds good....
I quit measuring OAL, and started measuring the OGIVE many years ago, because that it where the bullet diameter touches the land. When bullets are measured to the OAL, it does not take under consideration and deformation at the end of the bullet, and that is where you are measuring. I have purchase ammo where the tip is nicked or dinged a bit. I use a .030 bullet jump for my ammo, but could probably use a little less. I use the Hornady comparator for all my ammo measurements for consistancy. The 147 grn. is a devestating bullet, but it blows out the back side to much for me. The 129 grn. STS is fast, but not so much damage. Antelope and some Deer are small enough that big bullets just smear the meat so much...
Good Reading from you!
Larry243

Sounds good....
I quit measuring OAL, and started measuring the OGIVE many years ago, because that it where the bullet diameter touches the land. When bullets are measured to the OAL, it does not take under consideration and deformation at the end of the bullet, and that is where you are measuring.
Larry243

Truth! I still measure OAL because I don't have a comparator yet. I often load a Sierra or Nosler that has an exposed lead tip and always look for a perfect tip to seat and measure.

I really need one of those fancy gauges.:D

Truth! I still measure OAL because I don't have a comparator yet. I often load a Sierra or Nosler that has an exposed lead tip and always look for a perfect tip to seat and measure.

The Hornady Comparators are not real fancy, and are very easy to use. The hole in , is the correct size for the bullet diameter, that allows you to measure the total length of the cartridge and bullet at the same time...
All major sporting good stores like Sportsman Warehouse has them, or you can even order them on-line with free shipping on e-bay. Although I use Hornady products 95% of the time, I have used Sierra, and had no problem or any noticeable difference. As I said before, I do't punch paper very much, but do Qualify ammo loads when testing through my Cronograph at the same time. If the bullet speed is not the same as before, I have not accomplished much, so back to loading more powder....LOL. I sure like Hodgdon's 4350 for my Creedmoor rounds.
Good Read!
Larry243

The Hornady Comparators are not real fancy, and are very easy to use. The hole in , is the correct size for the bullet diameter, that allows you to measure the total length of the cartridge and bullet at the same time...
All major sporting good stores like Sportsman Warehouse has them, or you can even order them on-line with free shipping on e-bay. Although I use Hornady products 95% of the time, I have used Sierra, and had no problem or any noticeable difference. As I said before, I do't punch paper very much, but do Qualify ammo loads when testing through my Cronograph at the same time. If the bullet speed is not the same as before, I have not accomplished much, so back to loading more powder....LOL. I sure like Hodgdon's 4350 for my Creedmoor rounds.
Good Read!
Larry243

Danielsp...Some good advise here. Wish you were closer, we could measure your rifle with my Hornady AOL tool. For what its worth, factory Hornady 147gr factory ammo measures 2.805 COAL and makes a long jump in my Savage to hit the rifling at 2.887" But its still shoot small groups. Many of the newer bullets seem less sensitive to seating depth ... Hybrid Berger's especially...if you can afford them. Enjoy

Sounds good....
I quit measuring OAL, and started measuring the OGIVE many years ago, because that it where the bullet diameter touches the land. When bullets are measured to the OAL, it does not take under consideration and deformation at the end of the bullet, and that is where you are measuring. I have purchase ammo where the tip is nicked or dinged a bit. I use a .030 bullet jump for my ammo, but could probably use a little less. I use the Hornady comparator for all my ammo measurements for consistancy. The 147 grn. is a devestating bullet, but it blows out the back side to much for me. The 129 grn. STS is fast, but not so much damage. Antelope and some Deer are small enough that big bullets just smear the meat so much...
Good Reading from you!
Larry243

In my 6.5 Creedmoor Tikka CTR using a 140gr ELD-M my COAL to the lands is 2.885" and case base to ojive is 2.375" to the lands.

Are you shooting good patterns ? If they are acceptable to you, then sounds like you are god to go. If your ballistics are good through a Chronograph, and you are shooting where you want, It won't get any better then that. The bullet must meet the ballistics standard, or it is all for nothing. The bullet expansion is based on its velocity at impact....
Please keep me up to speed with your testing and shot placement...
Larry243

Sounds good....
I quit measuring OAL, and started measuring the OGIVE many years ago, because that it where the bullet diameter touches the land.
Just so.

Load a dummy with the bullet proud and try to close the bolt. Turn stem down and repeat. When you can just close the bolt then seat a little deeper and you're good. As long as it fits in the magazine. Now save the dummy. Use a sharpie and color the bullet and label it. Then you can reset the seater to the size of the dummy for years.

That way the depth is exactly right for your rifle.

OAL is meaningless except for magazine feeding.

Just so.

Load a dummy with the bullet proud and try to close the bolt. Turn stem down and repeat. When you can just close the bolt then seat a little deeper and you're good. As long as it fits in the magazine. Now save the dummy. Use a sharpie and color the bullet and label it. Then you can reset the seater to the size of the dummy for years.

That way the depth is exactly right for your rifle.

OAL is meaningless except for magazine feeding.

You are spot on my man!
I record the developed length and save it to my data file for reloading except, I add my bullet jump that the rifle likes. Most of my loads are at .025-.030 jump. Another thing you might like to try is...
Load your bullet in a slip fit cartridge, and press into the chamber slowly. Measure the Ogive length, and then subtract the Bullet jump that works for you! I do like coloring the bullet before I load it into the chamber. I can see where it hit the chamber for references only!...
Looks like you have it smoothed out and working.... ;<)

You are spot on my man!
I record the developed length and save it to my data file for reloading except, I add my bullet jump that the rifle likes. Most of my loads are at .025-.030 jump. Another thing you might like to try is...
Load your bullet in a slip fit cartridge, and press into the chamber slowly. Measure the Ogive length, and then subtract the Bullet jump that works for you! I do like coloring the bullet before I load it into the chamber. I can see where it hit the chamber for references only!...
Looks like you have it smoothed out and working.... ;<)
I have the compatitor but this works better and is more reliable. I simplified the post in that I use a Wilson micrometer seater so I get the case to bearing point measure based on the closed bolt. Then I take off .002" with the micrometer most of the time.

I have more bullets though that shoot better when stuffed in the lands.

Point with coloring the bullet is so I don't pull the bullet in a clean up for reuse. I have 4-6 different dummies depending on the caliber. At least one per bullet. Then 1-3 different depths.

I am doing load development for 223 right now. Three dummies so far.

Other option with a Wilson is to get multiple seating stems to reproduce different seating depths.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top