JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wondering here, I have hunted with a inline for years, when I first got started into muzzleloading hunting back in the early 90's I had a T/C New Englander 50 cal, I used a maxiballs and killed a bunch of deer with it, then a few years later, came the in lines and I jump on that wagon, now I'm older and I'm leaning more towards the old side hammers, I bought a T/C Big Boar got it sighted in with 90 gr. 777 and a patch and round ball, my question is will a round ball kill a deer like the old maxi balls did? I have never hunted with roundballs before, I'm just doing a little research here about roundballs, everyone I talk too says you loose alot of deer using roundballs, I don't see how it's like shooting a slug, especially with that 58 cal., I'm just looking for a little info,

I have taken both deer and elk with a .58 caliber rifle.
Its an original J.Henry Trade Rifle from around 1800 -1820.
The load for both was 75 grains of 2f and a .570 round ball with a .15 patch.

My usual hunting and shooting rifle is in .54 caliber.
It is a custom Hawken Rifle Copy
I use 80 grains of 2F and .530 round ball.
I have taken :
Grouse
Coyote
Deer
Elk
Bear
Antelope
With this rifle and load.

Like anything....know your rifle , know your load , know the game you hunt...stay within your skill of hunting and shooting and you will be fine with black powder and round ball.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top