JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just found a CVA 45cal colonial pistol kit in my moms basement I thought was lost years ago, I got it when I was 13 years old, I put it all together fitting, blued it, and finished the stock this week and would love to try it out. I have fff black powder and pyrodex , 440 lead balls, lubed patches and caps, if anyone has advice on how many grains of both FFF black powder and pyrodex to use that would be appreciated. The Manual/instructions are long gone and I've never fired a percussion pistol before. I'd love any advice. Thanks Scott

23969443-7117-401E-9EEB-AEE619FF4978.jpeg 45C0EBF4-9E7A-464B-A0F3-ED1663AFBD83.jpeg

As far as actual loading advice....

Before loading the pistol....with the pistol pointed in a safe direction , "bust a few caps" , to drive out any oil in the vent and barrel.

What size thickness are your patches...a thicker patch .15 or higher may be difficult to load...
A short starter may be handy here.
Andy

Thank you for the information. This is what I have to try it out. So is the rs pyrodex not a good thing to use? Id Just like to use it up if it's ok to do so.

image.jpg

Looks like .15 patches....which are a good size...I would still suggest getting a short starter.
If they are still tight....pop a patch in your mouth...spit makes for a great lube with patches.
Oh and get a nipple wrench...that will be handy for cleaning and removing the nipple.

As far as PYRODEX goes....it will work but....
I have found it far more corrosive that actual black powder.
To be honest ...I can't stand the stuff....others however love it.

And remember....its Powder , Patch and Ball , in that order....:D
If you forget to load powder first...well...we can remove the ball....but it can get tricky.
Andy

ok I'll just be using the fff black powder. Can't wait to try it out I remember the day i bought it, it was at Jafco in Bellevue i remember i paid $7.99 on clearance i was in 1984 I remember because my Mom was so upset that they sold it to a 13 year old who was not with a adult.

Never been a fan of pre-lubed patches myself.

And yeah they don't taste the greatest , if you pop one in your mouth for spit lube
But ...you will survive....:D

Olive oil
Bore Butter
CRISCO
Real Mink Oil
CLP
Bear Grease / Deer Tallow
All work well for lube...and you can carry a bit of the above in a tin to add lube to a patch if needed.

My favorites are spit for regular shooting and bear grease / deer tallow for hunting
Andy

Last Edited:
Looks like .15 patches....which are a good size...I would still suggest getting a short starter.
If they are still tight....pop a patch in your mouth...spit makes for a great lube with patches.
Oh and get a nipple wrench...that will be handy for cleaning and removing the nipple.

As far as PYRODEX goes....it will work but....
I have found it far more corrosive that actual black powder.
To be honest ...I can't stand the stuff....others however love it.

And remember....its Powder , Patch and Ball , in that order....:D
If you forget to load powder first...well...we can remove the ball....but it can get tricky.
Andy
Laughing because, I've been there...Done that. :s0001:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top