JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey task1 or any one else who is new to muzzle loading and "dry balls" ( load without powder ) their percussion gun....

Remove your nipple ( the gun's nipple , not yer nipple , 'cause that would be painful and awkward...:D )
Sprinkle some powder in the drum....
Replace the nipple...
Think pure thoughts , say a prayer to St. GOEX....
Place a cap on the nipple , point the gun safely down range and fire....
This may shoot the ball out.
Andy

Hey task1 or any one else who is new to muzzle loading and "dry balls" ( load without powder ) their percussion gun....

Remove your nipple ( the gun's nipple , not yer nipple , 'cause that would be painful and awkward...:D )
Sprinkle some powder in the drum....
Replace the nipple...
Think pure thoughts , say a prayer to St. GOEX....
Place a cap on the nipple , point the gun safely down range and fire....
This may shoot the ball out.
Andy

great info Thanks Andy

Some percussion guns do not have a clean out screw....or if they do...it can be "frozen" / rusted / stuck in place.
The nipple is a sure bet....:D
( I can't believe I just said that...:D )
Andy
DSC06796.jpg

DSC03373.jpg

No clean out screw here....

I have been lucky with my flintlocks....and have been able to pull the ball out , after pouring oil down the barrel.
But then , I tend to use a looser than normal patch and ball combo , then most shooters.

I have seen the CO2 dischargers work...that is always a option.

Taking the breech off to drive out the ball is indeed a PITA....:eek:
Andy

Sure enough....:D
I love that "after hours" hanging out at a camp and visiting.
All of the local rendezvous were canceled this year...so looking forward to having them again.

I did do a display of my guns at a local black powder shop...so that was nice , if a bit of a tease...:D
Andy

Yeah, we made it to Monroe, but everything just collapsed after that. I try to stay up to date with my buddies, so far so good. But text and phone calls just ain't the same.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top