JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
CyhKZsUXgAAVUBx.jpg

A bolt action 12 ga is pretty much a dog in my experience.
A friend had a 36" Long Tom" and when we were duck hunting, he could''t keep up with the pumps and autos.
It would have been OK for a turkey gun.

Sorry, this is a handgun discussion I just realized.
In context when discussing big wildcats like 500 auto max, a bolt action 12g with say a rifled 18" barrel for sabot slugs would be a very enjoyable shotgun/rifle thing. It would also be drastically less expensive to feed than a Gucci custom round like 500 auto max.

Those crazy calibers like 500 auto max and 510 whisper would be stupid fun, but they just look expensive.

Even 500sw is pretty high on the list of $$$$, and no matter how much I poke Countrygent, he refuses to budge on getting into reloading! His interests in calibers scream, "dude start reloading!"

Imagine this thing SBSd back to the stock or at least 18"! Even better if it had the ability to take larger mags.

Last Edited:
Thanks for the details @ORhunter. (And no interest in a rifle in said at this time.)
It is a really fun gun. Personally, of those, I have not fired the pistols in this, but watching others do, I would probably go BFR. Massive recoil revolvers I would feel more comfortable with a single action. My reason being is the accidental doubles that some people experience with the smith if a less experienced shooter uses it.

BTW, the encore in 500 is painful, but the BHA I could shoot all day if I was a billionaire.

I was up at the home range on Friday afternoon with the new Fifty (and another wheelgun and a mouse gun). I shot up a box of .500 S&W Special from said and the results were good with that fodder; very accurate revolver, no malfunctions, and in a form factor not that far from my favorite handgun (S&W Model 29). Though the projectiles hit with authority, recoil with the Specials weren't terrible; I'd put it somewhere in the zone of heavier projectile/warmish .44 Magnum or maybe .480 Ruger zone. At least somewhat subjective I grant, but the perceived recoil was not painful, and the muzzle brake seemed to mitigate some rise. We'll see on full house loads, some of which is due to arrive this week.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the full sized revolvers we've acquired from Smith & Wesson over the last 3—4 years. They are all very well built, with good grips and sights, and they just run.

And, consarn it, I have to admit I'm seriously considering getting into limited handloading due to, almost exclusively, the possibilities presented by the half-inch cartridge. :s0155:

Well then; got started early and a whirlwind of activity. Including shooting a bunch of spicy 440-grain loads from this one today. Let's see:

• There is no getting around it — recoil is more than spunky. Right there in that spot between manageable and outright painful. Though, granted, the concept behind these was never a full day of plinking. Whatever I shot looked like it was hit by a freight train.
  • Very accurate wheelgun. I had no trouble scoring hits at various ranges, provided I did my part.
  • I am seriously considering getting involved with limited handloading for this one. I started saving the spent casing in a coffee can with this idea in mind. For a few reasons, but much like the recoil, there ain't any getting around the cost of these shells are anything but cheap, even by today's standards.
  • I've been really digging the Smith & Wesson revolvers acquired recently. "Just works" technology is always a blessing.
  • Over life time, I have had an on and off fascination with large, accurate, big-bore revolvers. It, evidently, came back with a vengeance this time. :s0112:

Last Edited:
Well then; got started early and a whirlwind of activity. Including shooting a bunch of spicy 440-grain loads from this one today. Let's see:

• There is no getting around it — recoil is more than spunky. Right there in that spot between manageable and outright painful. Though, granted, the concept behind these was never a full day of plinking. Whatever I shot looked like it was hit by a freight train.
  • Very accurate wheelgun. I had no trouble scoring hits at various ranges, provided I did my part.
  • I am seriously considering getting involved with limited handloading for this one. I started saving the spent casing in a coffee can with this idea in mind. For a few reasons, but much like the recoil, there ain't any getting around the cost of these shells are anything but cheap, even by today's standards.
  • I've been really digging the Smith & Wesson revolvers acquired recently. "Just works" technology is always a blessing.
  • Over life time, I have had an on and off fascination with large, accurate, big-bore revolvers. It, evidently, came back with a vengeance this time. :s0112:
If you shoot a 329PD just before the 500, the 500 is a pussycat.
True story.

If you shoot a 329PD just before the 500, the 500 is a pussycat.
True story.
I agree. I've shot exactly two rounds through a 329 some years back, and before I'd ever pull the trigger on one again, I'd just set my hand palm open on a table and get someone to smack it hard with a baseball bat, save the cost of ammo. And no, I'm not particularly recoil sensitive either. :eek:

I've been eyeballing those S&W .500 Mags ever since they came out. I do like the looks of them, but for me the only reason to have one would be the novelty of it. A friend of mine has one and I've helped him load for it (OK, I loaded them, but he bought the dies and bullet moulds, and pays for components; I don't charge a penny). It is a fun gun to shoot. To me, the recoil really isn't worse than a .44 Mag, due to the weight.

I have multiple S&W Model 29 and 629 revolvers, and have shot thousands of rounds of ammo through them over the last three decades, but as I get older I just don't enjoy the hurt anymore. After two or three cylinders through one, I'm kind of done for the day. I could handle a hundred rounds if I needed to, no problem, but it wouldn't be any fun.

I don't see myself ever owning a .500 S&W, but if I happened on a long barrel model at a really good price, at just the right time when I had money in my pocket... :)

I agree. I've shot exactly two rounds through a 329 some years back, and before I'd ever pull the trigger on one again, I'd just set my hand palm open on a table and get someone to smack it hard with a baseball bat, save the cost of ammo. And no, I'm not particularly recoil sensitive either. :eek:

I've been eyeballing those S&W .500 Mags ever since they came out. I do like the looks of them, but for me the only reason to have one would be the novelty of it. A friend of mine has one and I've helped him load for it (OK, I loaded them, but he bought the dies and bullet moulds, and pays for components; I don't charge a penny). It is a fun gun to shoot. To me, the recoil really isn't worse than a .44 Mag, due to the weight.

I have multiple S&W Model 29 and 629 revolvers, and have shot thousands of rounds of ammo through them over the last three decades, but as I get older I just don't enjoy the hurt anymore. After two or three cylinders through one, I'm kind of done for the day. I could handle a hundred rounds if I needed to, no problem, but it wouldn't be any fun.

I don't see myself ever owning a .500 S&W, but if I happened on a long barrel model at a really good price, at just the right time when I had money in my pocket... :)
This ^^^
My experience exactly.

May I suggest the S&W Model 24 6" 44 Special ?

:)

I was up at the home range on Friday afternoon with the new Fifty (and another wheelgun and a mouse gun). I shot up a box of .500 S&W Special from said and the results were good with that fodder; very accurate revolver, no malfunctions, and in a form factor not that far from my favorite handgun (S&W Model 29). Though the projectiles hit with authority, recoil with the Specials weren't terrible; I'd put it somewhere in the zone of heavier projectile/warmish .44 Magnum or maybe .480 Ruger zone. At least somewhat subjective I grant, but the perceived recoil was not painful, and the muzzle brake seemed to mitigate some rise. We'll see on full house loads, some of which is due to arrive this week.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the full sized revolvers we've acquired from Smith & Wesson over the last 3—4 years. They are all very well built, with good grips and sights, and they just run.

And, consarn it, I have to admit I'm seriously considering getting into limited handloading due to, almost exclusively, the possibilities presented by the half-inch cartridge. :s0155:
Good to hear! If you are wanting to do a test run in reloading, on the cheap, consider the Lee Handloading Tool. They make them in the popular calibers like 38, 357, 44spcl, 44mag, 45 colt, etc. But not in less common like 480 ruger, 475Lin, 500 S&W, etc. For under around $40 you can get started in a particular caliber, build some experience, and get a feel for the steps. Midway stocks them, but lots of places do too. I just bought one in 38 spcl for reloading in the woods this summer. Also consider Lee 2 cavity bullet molds as they are about $30 and include handles. Its pretty dang fun, saves money, opens up your versatility, and gets you nearly self sufficient should ammo go dry:

Last Edited:
Good to hear! If you are wanting to do a test run in reloading, on the cheap, consider the Lee Handloading Tool. They make them in the popular calibers like 38, 357, 44spcl, 44mag, 45 colt, etc. But not in less common like 480 ruger, 475Lin, 500 S&W, etc. For under around $40 you can get started in a particular caliber, build some experience, and get a feel for the steps. Midway stocks them, but lots of places do too. I just bought one in 38 spcl for reloading in the woods this summer. Also consider Lee 2 cavity bullet molds as they are about $30 and include handles. Its pretty dang fun, saves money, opens up your versatility, and gets you nearly self sufficient should ammo go dry:

Thank you for the details. That is very interesting as a way to ease into reloading. I do shoot a lot of .44 Magnum, so that would make sense. :)

Rounds like .500 mag, and even .44 mag and .45 Colt are great for starting out reloading. Most people don't shoot massive volumes of these calibers; you can save a lot by loading them and you don't need to invest a large amount of time and money setting up a big progressive press. You can get an inexpensive single stage setup and put together a box or three whenever you have time.

Reloading in general is a balance of time/money. It's a lot like working on your own cars. The amount of enjoyment that you get from the process tips the scale for the DIYer, but otherwise if you have more money than time, you're better off just buying ammo (or having someone else work on your car). If you have more time than money, do it yourself.

The little Lee Loader kits are neat, but really for those who load very small volumes, or have WAY more time than money. On the other hand, you can spend many thousands on high-end automated progressives, if you have the money to spend, and shoot A LOT.

What I would recommend for someone with limited spare time, who wants to load a few hundred rounds of expensive calibers occasionally, would be a simple single-stage setup. You can spend a few hundred for a nice new kit, or piece one together on the cheap from used stuff here and there. I'm pretty sure I could get a very usable setup put together for around $150, including press, dies, scale, powder measure, etc.. The OP doesn't strike me as someone who generally wants to go cheap...

As to casting bullets- that's a whole 'nuther can of worms, something I wouldn't necessarily recommend to someone who wasn't really into it, who doesn't have plenty of time for the hobby. I say that as someone who's been pouring my own since the 1980s. There are so many good powder-coated cast bullets available as very reasonable prices now, that if I didn't already cast my own and have hundreds if not thousands invested in tools, I probably wouldn't start. Though I do have to say, I've been at it long enough that I have my preferences, molds and styles I like, and I enjoy when they turn out just right. Here's a box of .500 Lee 440gr bullets that I made a couple years back, just sitting here waiting for the next time we load up some .500 rounds.

500.jpg

Follow up: I'm kicking around, for the first time, scoping a revolver, with this one being the one so adorned. Any recommendations on said? I'd prefer to stick with Leupold, but I'm open to other glass. Thank you. :)

Follow up: I'm kicking around, for the first time, scoping a revolver, with this one being the one so adorned. Any recommendations on said? I'd prefer to stick with Leupold, but I'm open to other glass. Thank you. :)
I mounted a Leupold VXii on my 500 and while it is fun, it ended up on my 460XVR. The 500 really is more fun with open sites in my opinion. The Wegatinny mount (prob spelled incorrect) is a great option. I've got a spare if'n you need.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top