JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think this has been posted here before (?) Pretty dang funny link from Cracked.com (anybody remember Cracked magazine? Am I showing my age?? :rolleyes: ) The author (Robert Evans) apparently must be a gun enthusiast himself 'cos he's quite heavy on facts. There are just a couple of durrty wurrds buried in the article, so you might find it NSFW. Plus, some cool short vids, all of which are smut-free.
5 Ridiculous Gun Myths Everyone Believes (Thanks to Movies) | Cracked.com

Cool read. It's amazing the misconceptions that Hollywood makes into reality for those without a trained eye.
One of my favorite dumb scenes is in the movie "Get Smart" (go figure) with Steve Carell. They are training with sim rounds and they show a round being fired from inside the chamber, through the barrel and out of the muzzle spits a complete round, case and all as it zips it's way to the target. Quality cinema. :s0155:

hah Strike45 that's a good one too! here's another that I think isn't a myth, but not easy to do(?)--A character is facing down a somebody pointing a semi-auto at 'em, and in one quick movement grabs the slide and yanks it clean off the frame. Possible I reckon, if ya got good at popping the slide lock/takedown pin free while pulling the slide forward...and there was no other retaining pin/etc... I keep seeing this on tv/in movies & have seen it discussed in passing here on the board. 'Course it wouldn't work on a lot of semi-autos, but ya reckon it's actually doable in real life?

discuss :)

I do actually know of a semiauto that can be "snatched apart quickly" for the user to take down for field cleaning. I had a military issue Beretta M9 I used to practice the 'yank the slide off' trick... way back when I was young and in the Army.
I got real good at the 'hold in left hand and take the slide off with my right hand" in seemingly one movement. I no longer have one to sit and figure out the eact movement -now- but I'm sure somebody out there has one to try it on. :s0112:
But... Yeah... I do agree. Hollywood usually has it wrong.

Pretty good, I do have to take exception to the suppressor thing though. In "the movies" a gun shot ISN'T 150-160 db, probably more like 115db or like the author says "Loud Rock Concert", take off 30db (the max amount of reduction he cites) and you end up with 85db or about the sound of "City Traffic (inside car)" which probably wouldn't even be audible in a theater. Considering how quiet an un-suppressed shot is in the movies I think they do a fair representation of showing how quiet a suppressed shot is. BTW, a YouTube video is a terrible way to show anything about sound levels. Also, my Savage Mark II with SWR Warlock really does make a "ptew" sound when you shoot it with sub-sonic ammo.:s0155:

hah Strike45 that's a good one too! here's another that I think isn't a myth, but not easy to do(?)--A character is facing down a somebody pointing a semi-auto at 'em, and in one quick movement grabs the slide and yanks it clean off the frame. Possible I reckon, if ya got good at popping the slide lock/takedown pin free while pulling the slide forward...and there was no other retaining pin/etc... I keep seeing this on tv/in movies & have seen it discussed in passing here on the board. 'Course it wouldn't work on a lot of semi-autos, but ya reckon it's actually doable in real life?

discuss :)

:s0113: I've seen a scene like that before! If someone's brave/fast enough to do that, they could make a habit of reaching for any semi-auto and pushing the slide out of battery while simultaneously chopping your head off with their concealed katana sword!!!

:s0113: I've seen a scene like that before! If someone's brave/fast enough to do that, they could make a habit of reaching for any semi-auto and pushing the slide out of battery while simultaneously chopping your head off with their concealed katana sword!!!
Many years ago,I saw a daytime talk show,can't remember who's,that had an ex seal doing that very thing.He was very quick at it.

Author is not that savvy. Most of the stuff in the article is bogus. An M4 is not a machine gun, it is a combat rifle. He did not mention an RPK or an M240 or any actual MACHINE GUNS. No current concealable body armor that will stop an AK? Really? And 33 lbs. for rifle armor?! Wow... Just.....wow.

And they are rounds/cartriges....NOT bullets/shells.

Magazines. NOT clips.

Jeez.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class