JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Five-Seven vs 357 SIG

• 5.7x28

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • 357 SIG

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
Both are niche calibers but to me the 357 Sig is way more versatile and practical. The Sig is one of those niche calibers I wish would have went mainstream but neither of these are filling a niche that hasn't been filled already.

Both are niche calibers but to me the 357 Sig is way more versatile and practical. The Sig is one of those niche calibers I wish would have went mainstream but neither of these are filling a niche that hasn't been filled already.
Yeah, but both are more pointy than 9mm.

357 Sig would be my preference. I imagine that ammo would be more plentiful and there would be greater variety...but I don't know that for sure. There are also likely more options when it comes to guns that fire 357 Sig.

If I were going to go with the 5.7, I would really want to rent whatever gun I was thinking about getting and put some rounds down range first. At a minimum, however, I would want to fondle the gun first to make sure I liked how it felt in my hand.

Is there a specific purpose for this gun/round or are you just looking for a new range toy? Have you thought about 10mm at all?

I've only shot the .357sig in one gun, my restricted state carry, a G33. It feels like it shoots high pressure laser beams.

The 5.7 I just can't get on board with until the "real" ammo is available and the "cheap" ammo is less than $1/round. My 7mag is $1/round. I'm not paying 7mag prices for neutered ammo.

.357 Sig. Means I have a .40S&W, too.
Or not. I have .357 SIG (one barrel for a 226, just because I could; it came with a .40 slide/barrel combo I bought), .40 & 5.7x28

With an extra .357 SIG barrel you either need to get adjustable sights or an additional slide with the right fixed sights; the POI changes changes that much. https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/p226-sig-357-40s-w-poi.351188/

Of course, the same is probably true with 9x19 conversion barrels, but I don't have those anymore; I now have the complete conversion kit (barrel/slide/recoil spring) instead. I do plan to get a barrel for my 224 as kits (usually just somebody's spare slide/barrel from their "upgrade") are rare for the the 224 (I've never seen one for sale and I am sure SIG will never sell one for a discontinued model).

There is more to 5.7x28 than the ballistics, there is the PS90/P90 (or an SBR'd PS90) with its 50 rd capacity in a bullpup, and the handgun/rifle combination, among other advantages (lower recoil, lightweight of ammo/gun).

I need to buy some +P+ 9x19, breakout the chrono and compare it to some .357 SIG, but going by claimed velocities, I don't see that much of a difference between +P+ 9mm and .357 SIG - about 125fps.

Some manufacturers no longer make/sell .357 SIG - going back to the "is .40 S&W dead" threads and articles, I would assert that the .357 SIG will be (or is) dead a long time before .357 SIG. During the peak of the ammo panic, I saw about ten times as much .40 ammo on store shelves as I saw .357 SIG and it wasn't because the latter was so popular (like 9mm) - it was because there wasn't the demand.

An additional advantage of 9mm, at least in my SIGs, is the added capacity of the mags; 5 rounds more in 9mm than .357/.40 in the same sized mags.

357 sig appears to be about 2x more than 5.7. I can easily get 5.7 for $31-35 per 50 rounds and it will be coming down more. No hallow point cuz it doesn't need it.
Oh and here's this for you:

5.7 in a P not PS90 is the only way I'd go with 5.7.

I have zero desire to try 357 Sig unless I obtained a 40sw by way of gift or inheritance. Of coarse that's assuming I keep it.

I'd keep a P or PS90. I'm not looking to buy one anytime soon.

Diamondback did make a tiny 5.7 recently that is intriguing, due to size mostly. That's where that caliber shines. Tiny carbines.
1665066832117.jpeg

I still have hopes that someone gets squirrelly and makes a micro action bolt gun in 5.7.

5.7 in a P not PS90 is the only way I'd go with 5.7.

I have zero desire to try 357 Sig unless I obtained a 40sw by way of gift or inheritance. Of coarse that's assuming I keep it.

I'd keep a P or PS90. I'm not looking to buy one anytime soon.

Diamondback did make a tiny 5.7 recently that is intriguing, due to size mostly. That's where that caliber shines. Tiny carbines.
View attachment 1287741

I still have hopes that someone gets squirrelly and makes a micro action bolt gun in 5.7.
This mini bolt gun thing needs to happen.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews