JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Five-Seven vs 357 SIG

• 5.7x28

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • 357 SIG

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
Both are niche calibers but to me the 357 Sig is way more versatile and practical. The Sig is one of those niche calibers I wish would have went mainstream but neither of these are filling a niche that hasn't been filled already.

Both are niche calibers but to me the 357 Sig is way more versatile and practical. The Sig is one of those niche calibers I wish would have went mainstream but neither of these are filling a niche that hasn't been filled already.
Yeah, but both are more pointy than 9mm.

357 Sig would be my preference. I imagine that ammo would be more plentiful and there would be greater variety...but I don't know that for sure. There are also likely more options when it comes to guns that fire 357 Sig.

If I were going to go with the 5.7, I would really want to rent whatever gun I was thinking about getting and put some rounds down range first. At a minimum, however, I would want to fondle the gun first to make sure I liked how it felt in my hand.

Is there a specific purpose for this gun/round or are you just looking for a new range toy? Have you thought about 10mm at all?

I've only shot the .357sig in one gun, my restricted state carry, a G33. It feels like it shoots high pressure laser beams.

The 5.7 I just can't get on board with until the "real" ammo is available and the "cheap" ammo is less than $1/round. My 7mag is $1/round. I'm not paying 7mag prices for neutered ammo.

.357 Sig. Means I have a .40S&W, too.
Or not. I have .357 SIG (one barrel for a 226, just because I could; it came with a .40 slide/barrel combo I bought), .40 & 5.7x28

With an extra .357 SIG barrel you either need to get adjustable sights or an additional slide with the right fixed sights; the POI changes changes that much. https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/p226-sig-357-40s-w-poi.351188/

Of course, the same is probably true with 9x19 conversion barrels, but I don't have those anymore; I now have the complete conversion kit (barrel/slide/recoil spring) instead. I do plan to get a barrel for my 224 as kits (usually just somebody's spare slide/barrel from their "upgrade") are rare for the the 224 (I've never seen one for sale and I am sure SIG will never sell one for a discontinued model).

There is more to 5.7x28 than the ballistics, there is the PS90/P90 (or an SBR'd PS90) with its 50 rd capacity in a bullpup, and the handgun/rifle combination, among other advantages (lower recoil, lightweight of ammo/gun).

I need to buy some +P+ 9x19, breakout the chrono and compare it to some .357 SIG, but going by claimed velocities, I don't see that much of a difference between +P+ 9mm and .357 SIG - about 125fps.

Some manufacturers no longer make/sell .357 SIG - going back to the "is .40 S&W dead" threads and articles, I would assert that the .357 SIG will be (or is) dead a long time before .357 SIG. During the peak of the ammo panic, I saw about ten times as much .40 ammo on store shelves as I saw .357 SIG and it wasn't because the latter was so popular (like 9mm) - it was because there wasn't the demand.

An additional advantage of 9mm, at least in my SIGs, is the added capacity of the mags; 5 rounds more in 9mm than .357/.40 in the same sized mags.

357 sig appears to be about 2x more than 5.7. I can easily get 5.7 for $31-35 per 50 rounds and it will be coming down more. No hallow point cuz it doesn't need it.
Oh and here's this for you:

5.7 in a P not PS90 is the only way I'd go with 5.7.

I have zero desire to try 357 Sig unless I obtained a 40sw by way of gift or inheritance. Of coarse that's assuming I keep it.

I'd keep a P or PS90. I'm not looking to buy one anytime soon.

Diamondback did make a tiny 5.7 recently that is intriguing, due to size mostly. That's where that caliber shines. Tiny carbines.
1665066832117.jpeg

I still have hopes that someone gets squirrelly and makes a micro action bolt gun in 5.7.

5.7 in a P not PS90 is the only way I'd go with 5.7.

I have zero desire to try 357 Sig unless I obtained a 40sw by way of gift or inheritance. Of coarse that's assuming I keep it.

I'd keep a P or PS90. I'm not looking to buy one anytime soon.

Diamondback did make a tiny 5.7 recently that is intriguing, due to size mostly. That's where that caliber shines. Tiny carbines.
View attachment 1287741

I still have hopes that someone gets squirrelly and makes a micro action bolt gun in 5.7.
This mini bolt gun thing needs to happen.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top