JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anybody have this combination?

I am assuming a self-powered tow behind flail mower - not a rotary brush cutter. I need to chop up brush, not cut it off.

I have a walk behind two wheel "tractor" with a flail mower attachment, but it is a beast to maneuver and use, gets stuck easy and takes a lot of effort and time to mow acreage - I have spent the better part of a week using it in the past and still not getting everything mowed that I wanted to. So I want something that will be easier to use.

I know there were a few ATVs with a PTO (e.g., Yamaha) but I don't think they are made anymore and are hard to find. I want an 4x4 with independent suspension front and rear because my ground is rather rough, and I need to be able to handle inclines. I also need to be able to go slow, so a hi/low transmission/drive would be best IMO, also locking diffs.

Most of the dense brush is cut down and manageable now, so it is mostly tall soft grassy type vegetation that I need to mow, but there are some things like brambles and I want to keep the edges of dense brush cut back.

Feedback?

Tough call there. If you don't already have the ATV or a second use for one that's a fairly big investment for limited use. Disclosure I mow about an acre of our property with a DR brush mower and do want a tractor myself.

Friends down the road have the setup you are looking at for mowing the hillside on their property that is too steep for his tractor. When he was over the other week he was talking about how I needed a setup like his to make life easier for me. He estimated he could mow my lower field in two hours with his setup. That's the time it takes me to do it with the brush cutter. So big investment for me to be able to drink a wobble pop while mowing.

Sounds like you already have a better setup than I do with your two wheel tractor as it has a flail mower.

Not sure what your property is like but for me if I was spending the money for machinery I would be looking at a small tractor as they have so many other things you can do with them.

Neighbor has a 4WD tractor with brush mower behind it and FEL - bought it slightly used for $23K.

I did not want to spend that much to mow my brush 2-3 times per year, plus there are places on my property I need to mow that a tractor would have problems with due to the incline or the trees/etc. being too close together. A tractor would get 90% of it - but most tractors do not have a suspension like an ATV does, and I would have to take it easy going over the rough ground (it gets worse over time due to moles and other things and even after using the dozer there are spots that are not as level as I would like).

My two wheel tractor gets stuck in places - the diff lock is a PITA, and it is developing mechanical issues.

I would have other uses for an ATV, including going to the back acreage when it is too wet for my 4x4 trucks (they would easily get stuck in the mud whereas an ATV is much lighter), plus an ATV would fit place the trucks would not, and the ATV would do better in the snow we get occasionally.

If tractors out I might look at a side by side with a bed and a tow behind mower. Seems the side by side could be more useful as a mini-truck on the farm if you could get it everywhere you need to mow. But it could also be too big which is where the quad would shine.

With the quad you could always do what my neighbor does and has a trailer behind his quad when doing property stuff to turn it into a mini truck combo. He can get that setup into some pretty impressive places.

My pickup is a '92 Toyota 4x4 so not that much larger than a side by side, but too long and heavy for some things. I did use it to drag a harrow around after dozing and I use it to haul firewood. A side by side might work, but I am thinking an ATV is smaller and would go more places I need to go - on the downside, most ATVs don't have much cargo space, but can pull a trailer.

If you can find a self contained pull behind unit, then a PTO isn't needed, which opens up your options for a Quad or side by side. Your gonna want something with some pretty serious grunt power to be able to drag the tow behind around, but it might be the best option!

I had a lot of issues with our place when we first started on it, not the hills and side slopes your dealing with, mostly wet ground and very rough and un even. Ended up having to bull doze it while dragging a ripper behind to break up the ground. After, a gang mower was the tool to use, first set up was behind the Cat, as that's all we had, but now, we have the Thiokol Super Imp, and that will handle the wet ground super easy while dragging the gang mowers along, still takes a few days, but that's better then a week plus!

I have heard really good thinks about those Ventrack tractors, seem like a super duper tractor for the rough stuff, but I don't know if that's in your budget!

I've seen the vids of the Ventrac and yes, they are impressive. But for right now I am thinking an ATV might be less expensive and more versatile. I am thinking if my property sells for what I hope, then after I buy land and build, and I have $ left over I would maybe like a tracked skid steer with some attachments.

So your talking about getting something like this? https://www.palletforks.com/atv-utv/mowers/titan-48-in-atv-tow-behind-flail-mower/191498.html

The only recommendation I can provide is to go with a Honda Foreman. They are built like a tank and keep going. They have enough power to get the job done for you and their is a reason why so many farms and ranches have them, because they last, extremely reliable and low maintenance costs. My parents have one on their farm and all my dad does is change the oil/filters and check the valve clearance. Used to go to another ranch where they had one Foreman with 25,000 miles on it and still going strong and the other one had 15,000 miles. Worst repairs that had to be done was a rear-end rebuild. Motors and tranny's still had not been gone into.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews