JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No doubt there's a few that work. I already know the Vortex one would work, but they stopped making them.

I'm going to try a cheap prism scope like Primay Arms or the Spitfire 3x first. If I can do holdovers decent enough with those I might just get an ACOG to save weight. If not then I'll try the scope route like I planned.

Edit: Meant just scope in general, just stuck with variable for mil reticle is all.

Gun Review: Steyr AUG - The Truth About Guns
There is a setup running backup irons and a variable power likely a 1-4 scope it looks like it just barely fits as long as your mount is high enough for the irons to fit under the scope while folded.

You can still easily find a vortex 1-4 pst online. If not either a vortex strike eagle 1-6 or a vortex pst gen 2 (1-6) will serve you well.

Also that's the A3.

pix573192830.jpg
This is the A3 M1 long rail. They stopped making the A3.

The tall rail on the M1 is long enough for at least a prism scope. As far as regular scopes go, there'd be enough space between the front and rear sight to fit the scope mount but the eye relief would be the biggest concern of all.

Was thinking of getting the 3x scope, but I'm not used to doing holdovers without a mil or MOA reticle.
The plastic MBUS v1 would not fit under my scope so I switched them out for Magpul Pro's. I'll move them around to measure the number of rail slots tonight and try to post a picture. The Bobro slightly forward mount is pretty similar to any other mount you'd be mounting a variable power optic in so it should give you a good reference for if it's going to be possible with your Aug. From the picture you posted of the A3 M1 it looks like it has 16 rail slots.

Yeup, the A3 M1 long rail has 16 slots. The short rail has 10. Though the nice thing is that regardless of which M1 you get its easy to swap them out.

I uses an AR handguard to test the amount of space there is, and the Burris PEPR scope mount fits, so for the most part scope mounts are fine its the scope that needs careful selection.

But if I can do a BDC reticle well enough despite how high the long rail is (3/16th higher than an AR IICR) I'll probably get a steiner prism scope.

Having run both an AR-15 and a Tavor SAR-21 with a Leupold Mk6 1-6 in an ADM AD-Recon-X, I'd like to toss out some things to consider.
  • The stated eye relief of an optic is an approximate distance to the middle of the eye box, not the absolute and only point where it exists. You've got some wiggle room there, sometimes a lot, depending on the scope. Specs give you an idea, but seeing it first-hand is the best way to make this decision.
  • You can get scope mounts with different amounts of forward extension, which you can use to completely change where the eye box sits. I run my AR with the stock collapsed (keeps its center of gravity closer to my own), and originally had the AD-Recon, but couldn't push it far enough forward on the receiver, so I exchanged it for the AD-Recon-X, and problem solved!
  • Despite doctrine, the actual need for BUIS isn't what it used to be. Optics are a lot more durable now, especially the mid- and high-end ones. I once read of a soldier who managed to crack his ACOG's objective lens (IIRC, it involved an IED), and he was still able to deliver accurate fire.
  • The above is even more true if the optic has an etched reticle, because even if the illumination fails, you can still do everything you could with the illumination working. And, if you're in ambient light so dim that you can't use an etched reticle, BUIS are also going to be hard to see.
  • Consider how much influence you want your requirement for BUIS to have over which primary optic you choose, because the former might never be used, while the latter will be used all the time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top