JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
4x reticle.jpg

Here is an example of a mil reticle when viewed at 4x I am guessing that's probably why you don't see a lot of them.

Guess I'm stuck with a variable then. Thanks.
Most reasonably priced variable optics are Second Focal plane so the mil dots are only accurate at full power.

My limited list of features was a 1-6 or 1-8 with a true 1 power, mil reticle, mil turrets, first focal plane, and Illuminated with off positions between brightness settings. I ended up with the SWFA SS HD 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

The main selling point for me of the SWFA SS HD 1-6 versus the Schmidt & Bender Short Dot or the Leopold Mark 6/8 was the I prefer the SWFA reticle and at less than half the price of the others it wasn't a hard decision.

I like the SWFA 1-6. But it has too much eye relief for the rifle the rifle I'm eventually getting.

Focal plane will be almost a non-issue this time, since I'm keeping it at one magnification.

curious mind here.. Why only a 4x scope? why does the 6x not fit the bill? and why does a variable present an issue?
Wanted a low power optic since hunting here is more thick brush than open area. 4x is about the highest I can use in that. Also just want less stuff to mess with on the scope.

I like the SWFA 1-6. But it has too much eye relief for the rifle the rifle I'm eventually getting.
I've got the SWFA branded Bobro slightliy forward mount for my AR and it's on the farthest notch forward on my receiver. At 6x the eye box is very tight as well as being kind of long.

Wanted a low power optic since hunting here is more thick brush than open area. 4x is about the highest I can use in that. Also just want less stuff to mess with on the scope.
Makes sense. The original fixed 4 power on my dad's Remington 788 hunting rifle is much easier to use than my scope but I have a different purpose for it.

Edit: Bobro mount not Brobo

Last Edited:
Makes sense. The original fixed 4 power on my dad's Remington 788 hunting rifle is much easier to use than my scope but I have a different purpose for it.
To be honest, I wanted to get an ACOG but the BDC is more annoying than useful with the height over the bore being higher than an AR.
I've got the SWFA branded Brobo slightliy forward mount for my AR and it's on the farthest notch forward on my receiver. At 6x the eye box is very tight as well as being kind of long.
Well, to keep mine on the receiver on an AR the stock had to extended completely. There's not that much real estate on a pup.

To be honest, I wanted to get an ACOG but the BDC is more annoying than useful with the height over the bore being higher than an AR.
Yeah, so many great scope options with BDCs. I have no problem thinking in milliradians and I really prefer a crosshair with hash marks.

Well, to keep mine on the receiver on an AR the stock had to extended completely. There's not that much real estate on a pup.
I run my stock completely extended anyways otherwise I would have had to go with the extended offset mount. In the future I'll probably go with the exaggerated offset just to have more room left for adjustment.

Good luck with your pup!

Yeah, so many great scope options with BDCs. I have no problem thinking in milliradians and I really prefer a crosshair with hash marks.

I run my stock completely extended anyways otherwise I would have had to go with the extended offset mount. In the future I'll probably go with the exaggerated offset just to have more room left for adjustment.

Good luck with your pup!
Thanks. Will be a while before I get it, but I'm trying to get scope options first before I decide between getting one with the optic or one with the rail. I honestly prefer mil reticles since that's just what I'm used to with holdovers. Used a BDC twice and didn't care too much for em, but I really liked the horseshoe dot outside of the BDC. Only other reticle was the one from a Vortex Spitfire 3x.

Thanks. Will be a while before I get it, but I'm trying to get scope options first before I decide between getting one with the optic or one with the rail. I honestly prefer mil reticles since that's just what I'm used to with holdovers. Used a BDC twice and didn't care too much for em, but I really liked the horseshoe dot outside of the BDC. Only other reticle was the one from a Vortex Spitfire 3x.

Are you talking about a bullpup There are quite a few guys running 1-4 and 1-6 optics on their bullpups with zero eye relief issues (I own but a SAR-16 and as of this morning an x95).

Are you talking about a bullpup There are quite a few guys running 1-4 and 1-6 optics on their bullpups with zero eye relief issues (I own but a SAR-16 and as of this morning an x95).
Yes. And I'm sure, but the SWFA 1-6 has a lot of eye relief. Which means that I can't have the SWFA 1-6.

Yes. And I'm sure, but the SWFA 1-6 has a lot of eye relief. Which means that I can't have the SWFA 1-6.

I ran my buddies 1-4 pst on my IWI Tavor SAR-16. The pst has a 4" eye relief which is .25" longer than the SWFA so I am not sure what your concern is. Just trying to understand the exact issues you're worried about so I can help make the best suggestion for you.

I ran my buddies 1-4 pst on my IWI Tavor SAR-16. The pst has a 4" eye relief which is .25" longer than the SWFA so I am not sure what your concern is. Just trying to understand the exact issues you're worried about so I can help make the best suggestion for you.
The Aug A3 M1 has a shorter rail than the A3. The long rail on the M1 is cut short, and by the looks of it the SWFA probably won't work on there if putting a front sight on there.

The Aug A3 M1 has a shorter rail than the A3. The long rail on the M1 is cut short, and by the looks of it the SWFA probably won't work on there if putting a front sight on there.
The rail on the M1 is short enough you're not going to get really any optic other than maybe a mini-reflex or a micro red dot on there and still have the space to mount Iron sights. I'd definitely focus on just getting a good solid optic such as those mentioned already.

Those AUGs are good looking rifles. I have stuck to the IWI line myself but the AUG will always have that classy look.

The tall rail on the M1 is long enough for at least a prism scope. As far as regular scopes go, there'd be enough space between the front and rear sight to fit the scope mount but the eye relief would be the biggest concern of all.

Was thinking of getting the 3x scope, but I'm not used to doing holdovers without a mil or MOA reticle.

The tall rail on the M1 is long enough for at least a prism scope. As far as regular scopes go, there'd be enough space between the front and rear sight to fit the scope mount but the eye relief would be the biggest concern of all.

Was thinking of getting the 3x scope, but I'm not used to doing holdovers without a mil or MOA reticle.
I really don't think the eye relief is going to be as big a deal as you're worried about. I would just get yourself the rifle and once you have it you should be able to go into somewhere like bass pro and have them mount up a 1-4 like the pst and you will be able to see for yourself if it will work. Keep in mind the eye box on a lot of the variable optics is fairly generous.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top