JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So you'd rather Cummins didn't innovate and go out of business? They can't produce the old 5.9 anymore so they've had to innovate. Time will tell weather its detrimental to their longevity. Frankly I don't see why it would be, everything that makes a diesel a strong and long lasting engine is still there.

About 2.5 light years from what I'm trying to convey or of my opinion.

What I think is...

Our government will keep us from having the reliable diesel that engine manufactures have the capability of producing and do for other countries.

It is a very real thing already happening.

Any auto maker putting a Cummins under the hood will exploit it, charge a fortune to the many lined up people willing to finance a automobile for 128 months.

To answer your questions, I'd rather have the auto makers put some pressure on or special interest groups (EPA, CARB etc) to loosen restriction on diesel vehicles (trucks). Maybe we can have that reliability and fuel economy back Or get the price of diesel proportional to gas like it should be.

Do you really thing Cumming will go out of business if they don't supply engines for one or two US passenger vehicles? :D

If you add more parts, systems, electronics or especially EGR and emissions crap to a otherwise basic design you WILL have more problems and less reliability.

I love the idea of buying a brand new diesel midsize pickup and getting 35MPG and the truck going for 500k before scheduled major overhaul is recommended. For some silly reason I just don't think it will go down that way.

Ford has been making some big gains starting to use aluminum bodies to drop weight and increase MPG.

Also they just got a patent for the name "ecobeast" and there is talk about them coming out with a new ford f150 rapter thats is more fuel efficient.

My dad bought a new F250, 7.3L extra cab 4x4 in 2001. He put 367,000 miles on it with really minimal maintenance (he did have to replace the injectors once) That was a good truck. He still has it and uses it occasionally, This last spring he bought a new F350 6.7L 4 door 4x4. What are the chances he will be able to put 350K on this new truck with minimal maintenance? Well personally I think its about as good of chance as him driving it to the moon. I have a 04 F250 6.0L that has had the motor out of it several times, the entire top end is new, its been through several turbos and two sets of injectors. Over 20K worth of work all done before it hit 80K miles. I also have a 2008 F450 with the 6.4L It had to have a new motor all together at a cost of 15K.

And to boot his ol 7.3L got better mileage than his brand spankin new 6.7L

Thank the government for low sulfur diesel (inferior fuel at 20% more cost!) and environmental regs that kill motors and fuel efficiency

Not sure about the newer rigs. However we bought a new 2001 F350 7.3 back in 2001 of course. It has been awesome. Fuel milage was so~so, because we put a 6 inch lift w/ bigger tires on it. We recently installed a programmer, which should up the milage, it has definitely upped the power. Our truck now has about 180 k on it. Still going strong. Myself personally, if I was going to get another rig I would go for a used 2001 7.3. Great truck! Black of course.

2013 F-150 5.0-liter V8 here. Freeway 18/mpg. In town, 17/mpg. Strange, I know. I am careful, never drive faster than 75mph.

Honestly, I don't much care about mileage. I care more about the miles I put onto the vehicle. Set a minimum mark for mileage, and buy what your budget will allow, and what is comfortable.

I kept my last F-150 for 10 years (bought new). Yes, if totaled, I would buy another F-150.

My 2011 GM 2500HD (diesel) gets 17.8 mixed, 20+ highway only and 14 when towing my 11k lb trailer.

Best part is that when towing the trailer it barely notices going up hill and the exhaust brake keeps it @ speed when going the other way.

Not sure about the newer rigs. However we bought a new 2001 F350 7.3 back in 2001 of course. It has been awesome. Fuel milage was so~so, because we put a 6 inch lift w/ bigger tires on it. We recently installed a programmer, which should up the milage, it has definitely upped the power. Our truck now has about 180 k on it. Still going strong. Myself personally, if I was going to get another rig I would go for a used 2001 7.3. Great truck! Black of course.

I had a 02 with the same set up as in lift and 37s. I loved the truck but my only issue was at almost 150K on it the motor was just getting good but the rest of the truck was tired and needed work. I had replaced the tranny already and did frontend work on it twice. I love the diesels but they need to make the truck keep up with the motor.

My new F150 is pretty much stock and love the interior and the ride is great. Will it tow what the 350 would no but it works for what I do now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top