JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So is MI one of those states that allows 450BM for deer and otherwise it's shotgun only ?
Yes. In limited firearm zones, min 1.16" and max 1.8" case length, straight wall. Conservation Officers know to use "actual" case length, such as cut down 45-70, not parent case length. They will actually measure a wildcat like 357ARMaximum.(though proper brass is available from Starline)
I have NOT reloaded 450 BM or 458 SOCOM.
I just thought with the straight wall, as opposed to the small shoulder, I would find 450 Bushmaster easier. It appears they would be the same effort. I don't know if the 458 sizing die uses an expanding ball, and the 450 does not.

Joe

Yes. In limited firearm zones, min 1.16" and max 1.8" case length, straight wall. Conservation Officers know to use "actual" case length, such as cut down 45-70, not parent case length. They will actually measure a wildcat like 357ARMaximum.(though proper brass is available from Starline)
I have NOT reloaded 450 BM or 458 SOCOM.
I just thought with the straight wall, as opposed to the small shoulder, I would find 450 Bushmaster easier. It appears they would be the same effort. I don't know if the 458 sizing die uses an expanding ball, and the 450 does not.

Joe

The 450 bm would be a very attractive option for hunting your neck of the woods for sure. Yes the 450 bm dies I have seen all have expander buttons in fl sizing dies. Some bullet styles may not require the extra step of expanding/flaring neck, but most will.

While I chose the 458 socom, I can attest to the effectiveness of big chunks of lead moving at moderate speeds.

3A5F63A8-D1EE-464D-9E1A-7A1928D8D11B.jpeg

Do you have a source for inexpensive .458 projectiles (lower weights are fine since I will mostly be punching holes in paper)?

Any idea how brass life compares to 450 BM?
These seem like a decent deal if they would work in 458 socom set up?

Edit $43 in shipping kills this deal.

Last Edited:
458, way more boolit choices from about 250-600 grain, makes it very versatile
I should be able to size down some heavier 458 bullets if I needed the heavier weight. I have been looking at the 458 bullets and they seem to be quite a bit higher in price. The socom brass is only about a dime more per case but I haven't found a good answer on brass life comparisons of the two cartridges.

Cost of reloading will weigh heavily in my decision making.

If I can throw a wrench in the gears and ask; why not a .50 offering? Sounds like you're not too married to any particular bullet weight or suppressors, though you'd prefer .45 caliber stuff. I've found many things half inch happen to be slow to disappear from shelves..... I know .50 Beowulf is a thing and I'm sure there are other options, possibly a true straight wall....

If I can throw a wrench in the gears and ask; why not a .50 offering? Sounds like you're not too married to any particular bullet weight or suppressors, though you'd prefer .45 caliber stuff. I've found many things half inch happen to be slow to disappear from shelves..... I know .50 Beowulf is a thing and I'm sure there are other options, possibly a true straight wall....
I don't have any .50 projectiles (except for ML stuff). I could consider a 12.7x42 upper but bear creek is out of them at the moment. Brass seems to be priced about the same as 450 BM brass. I have a 7.62 bolt that I could use if I could find a cheap barrel and build my own upper. I will add it to the list for consideration.

But here is what tromix thinks of the 50cal:
"When we were making 12.7x42 barrel/uppers we used standard Grendel bolts, then lowered the hook cut by .011" in a Tromix 458 SOCOM extractor.
Unfortunately, sales were so slow, we discontinued the whole line. The 450BM and 458 SOCOM pretty much ate the 12.7x42 for lunch.

Tony"

While I am taking a break from my firearm spending freeze, I want to purchase a big bore AR upper. I am leaning towards 450 BM because I have a ton of 45 projectiles already but might consider 458 SOCOM. I will most likely be running this in single shot mode through the magazine and sometimes loading through the ejection port. This will be strictly a range use fun gun and I will only be running reloads through it. I may experiment with black powder loads. For those who have shot and reloaded for both which do you think would be best?
45 raptor. Go big or go home.

450BM is certainly cheaper to reload than 458 SOCOM if you are weighing copper jacketed options for both. Probably about the same price using hard cast lead but have never researched.

450BM is considerably cheaper and available on the shelf if you end up buying commercially manufactured ammo. 450BM has been on the shelf at my local Sportsman's Warehouse for the last 2.5 months at $28.99/box and once we get past this panic will go on sale for sub $20/box which is what I paid. I don't intend to purchase any more factory ammo as the only reason I bought it was to have fun getting my brass as there was little cost difference between buying the brass and other components vs. rolling my own. So I went for instant gratification and will reload moving forward.

Don't think that I dislike the 458 SOCOM as I have a build started for this chambering but haven't finished it since all I have right now for components is brass and I am not paying a premium for the other components needed to reload for this chambering.

Tromix is the way to go as stated previously if you want your build to run without issue.

.458S Chamber pressure is about 35,000 psi. I have fired some of my brass 10, or more times without any stretching, or cracking, though, I have in the past ruined several cases by not using enough lubrication when sizing. :(

As the case head spaces off of the shoulder, improperly set dies can cause problems. :eek:

As for reloading costs, I'm shooting up all of my old S.C.U.B.A. Diving weights 325 gr. at a time @ .35 cents a round.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top