JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While I am taking a break from my firearm spending freeze, I want to purchase a big bore AR upper. I am leaning towards 450 BM because I have a ton of 45 projectiles already but might consider 458 SOCOM. I will most likely be running this in single shot mode through the magazine and sometimes loading through the ejection port. This will be strictly a range use fun gun and I will only be running reloads through it. I may experiment with black powder loads. For those who have shot and reloaded for both which do you think would be best?

In your situation for a range gun and already having .45 projectiles the 450bm probably makes more sense. For a hunting application I think the 458 socom is the better choice with so many more hunting worthy bullets available. Can I ask why not run in semi auto fashion? Maybe for suppressed use? I would at least consider a adjustable gas block with an off position so you could have the best of both worlds.

The idea of an AR cartridge that headspaces on the case mouth (450 Bushy) has never appealed to me.
I like the idea of a bottleneck cartridge that headspaces on the shoulder.

375 SOCOM looks like it will hunt.

375 SOCOM.png

Whatever chambering you choose, Tromix is the answer. Tony the owner answers the phone and emails and is very helpful with his vast knowledge. I have bought barrel bolt combos from him along with other parts for two different builds and the parts are top notch.

In your situation for a range gun and already having .45 projectiles the 450bm probably makes more sense. For a hunting application I think the 458 socom is the better choice with so many more hunting worthy bullets available. Can I ask why not run in semi auto fashion? Maybe for suppressed use? I would at least consider a adjustable gas block with an off position so you could have the best of both worlds.

Of all those mentioned if not a reloader what its the easiest to find on the shelf?
If I couldn't reload for it I wouldn't pursue the project the cartridges are both very expensive off the shelf. I have seen 450 BM at Cabelas during the pandemic but not 458 SOCOM.

"Can I ask why not run in semi auto fashion?"

I will be shooting so few rounds that fully semi auto won't be necessary. This will be a very cheap build (most likely bear creek arsenal upper) and manual loading will eliminate a bunch of problems that might occur otherwise. I also would like to try some black powder (or substitute) loads and don't want that fouling blowing back in to the gas system, etc. I also want to try some subsonic loads (un-suppressed). I can always reconfigure set up if I want semi auto but I am pretty sure I won't miss it on this build.

Yeah well it is not exactly straight wall, therefore no carbide dies are available and lubing is necessary. But like straight wall cartridges an expanding step is necessary before seating projectile. I say 458 socom is easier to load for.

So again, I fail to see how it is easier. It requires the same exact steps as a bottleneck cartridge but has the added step for expanding neck. Have you loaded for the 450 bm?
I would think that you would want to keep an eye on case length more with 450BM.
Although it probably doesn't stretch much.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top