458 socom hunting build thread

Reactions
Looking to put together a 458 socom to replace my 45/70.

For the last few years I have been using a 45/70 for timber elk hunting. Has worked great, taken a couple nice bulls. Only problem I have with the marlin 45/70 guide gun is it is heavy. Hope to drop a couple pounds by going to the ar platform.

What I'm wanting is a 16 inch barrel, good break, short free floating hand guard.

The lower I'm going to start with is a bushmaster. I'll need to change out the rear stock, and clean up the trigger a little.

Scope I'll use will be a Leopold or red field 2.5-8x36 or the 2-7x33 that I already have.

I'll be reloading. Bullet I'll try will be the 300 gr partition, 350 gr hornady interlock, or the 405 gr woodleighs. Looking for that 1600-1800 fps out the muzzle.

Anyone know of a good complete upper for sale near Vancouver wa?

osprey

Reactions
Your 45/70 shouldnt be more than about 8.5# or so scoped up. I consider that a pretty good weight for that caliber. Go lighter and the recoil will get more noticeable. You could probably get a 458 socom to come in a pound or so lighter than the 45/70 but it is really a point of diminishing returns. Dont get me wrong I am not trying to talk you out of the Socom but I think you have your needs pretty well covered right now with the guide gun. The want on the other hand can be reason enough. Probably the best way to achieve your goal is to build from scratch. Sounds like a fun project to me. I would be interested in taking on this build if we lived closer together. GL

edslhead

Reactions
Tromix has all the parts to build or you can get em already made up. Ya have to call them to order.
<broken link removed>
I think anyone local would probably have to order it for you anyway.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Project Appleseed
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show 2021 show is cancelled
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
22 Rimfire Challenge
Redmond Rod and Gun Club
Redmond, OR 97756, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Just a transfer but a great one. A+
    Came here today to meet another forum member to buy a Glock. Was the best transfer I've had the pleasure of doing. Even though I was just there...
  • Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Great work threading Tikka barrel
    I dropped off my Tikka to have Tim thread the stainless barrel. GREAT work. Excellent communications. Highly recommend Tim. Very good value for...
  • Sound Loan and Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Helpful and Handy
    I have shopped, transferred, bought, browsed, or merely stopped in for a friendly hello or two, and every time without fail I left feeling better...
    • 10mm
  • Sound Loan and Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Definitely recommended
    friendly people, great prices on guns ammo tools, jewelry, other pawn shop stuff, always been easy to deal with
  • A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Responsive, courteous, great comms and absolutely reasonable!
    Bought a firearm from a local NWF's member and as I live in Idaho it had to transfer through a local FFL. The Seller picked A Cut Above... The...
Top Bottom