JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to put together a 458 socom to replace my 45/70.

For the last few years I have been using a 45/70 for timber elk hunting. Has worked great, taken a couple nice bulls. Only problem I have with the marlin 45/70 guide gun is it is heavy. Hope to drop a couple pounds by going to the ar platform.

What I'm wanting is a 16 inch barrel, good break, short free floating hand guard.

The lower I'm going to start with is a bushmaster. I'll need to change out the rear stock, and clean up the trigger a little.

Scope I'll use will be a Leopold or red field 2.5-8x36 or the 2-7x33 that I already have.

I'll be reloading. Bullet I'll try will be the 300 gr partition, 350 gr hornady interlock, or the 405 gr woodleighs. Looking for that 1600-1800 fps out the muzzle.

Anyone know of a good complete upper for sale near Vancouver wa?

Your 45/70 shouldnt be more than about 8.5# or so scoped up. I consider that a pretty good weight for that caliber. Go lighter and the recoil will get more noticeable. You could probably get a 458 socom to come in a pound or so lighter than the 45/70 but it is really a point of diminishing returns. Dont get me wrong I am not trying to talk you out of the Socom but I think you have your needs pretty well covered right now with the guide gun. The want on the other hand can be reason enough. Probably the best way to achieve your goal is to build from scratch. Sounds like a fun project to me. I would be interested in taking on this build if we lived closer together. GL

Tromix has all the parts to build or you can get em already made up. Ya have to call them to order.
<broken link removed>
I think anyone local would probably have to order it for you anyway.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top