JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The reason you hear of all these bad guys taking "multiple hits from 9mm" and still going is because 9mm is a very popular caliber, and is used more often, thus you hear about it more often.

It's like saying, junk yards have a lot of Honda's in them, so Honda's must suck. When the truth is Honda sold a butt load of cars in the 90's, so of course there will be more accidents and what not involving Honda, thus resulting in a higher percentage of Honda's in the junk yard. Same goes with the 9mm, you will hear about it more often because it is a more popular round.

great analysis
i completely agree

So, which gun are you going to carry every day on your hot, sweaty body? Take camping where its dirty and grimy? Take white water rafting or tubing? Take with you to the beach to ride the dunes or build sand castles?
...The Baer on the hand cost me a ton and weighs a ton. But in my eyes is a beauty to look at...
Probably not that one, but I do know of two saps who still pack 1911s.

Any of you knuckleheads that have carried a 1911 know about the punch cards to the chiropractor's office; it's a big heavy gun (used to carry a little Officers ACP… and speaking of 10mm (my fav) used to carry a 1076 for a while too).

In the June 2008 issue of SwANT Magazine there was a GREAT article about Larry Vickers' 1911 Operator's Class. FANTASTIC article! The article starts: Like the Harley Davidson or muscle car, the 1911 is a quintessential American product. And like the muscle car of old, the 1911 is being encroached upon by products that seem to do many of the things it did more efficiently across a greater number of parameters. I tend to agree.

I also think the 1911 is an old design, but is also an American icon (for those in the know… in the gun culture). That being the case, I've not carried a Colt since 1993… and nowadays, don't know that I could bring myself to subject one to the punishment that is daily life carrying a gun. Not when I have a Glock. And did I mention the weight.

Love my Colts. Awesome guns. They sit in the safe most of the time though. Carry a little G23 everywhere every day and have other Glocks sprinkled around the house to aid in homeland security duties... "they're just Glocks."

Larry Vickers said:
We live in a Glock world.

I'm a fan of the caliber, and the 1911. I've owned Glocks, I also own 1911s. Both are *good*, and neither will fail you provided all parts are in spec. Though with that being said, the larger caliber makes the larger wound channel. The old adage being "the .45 won't shrink" tends to hold true here. The argument being that if I must stake my life on a handgun cartridge (of which ALL common rounds are underpowered), it's gonna be the largest I can pack. Not because I need to make up for shot placement, or I need shock factor... but because I want as many of the odds in my favor as possible.

Personally I say the Glock gets an edge for capacity, and the 1911 gets the edge for ergos and accuracy. This is based on personal experience. I am more accurate with one platform than the other. I have found both to be very reliable handguns. I've not experienced any malfunction in either pistol that wasn't caused by crap mags, or poor ammo (when I first started reloading, I wasn't crimping enough and getting case drag). That being said, ALL firearms tend to be mag sensitive... get a junk mag, and your gun will work like junk. :s0112:

So, which gun are you going to carry every day on your hot, sweaty body? Take camping where its dirty and grimy? Take white water rafting or tubing? Take with you to the beach to ride the dunes or build sand castles?

Probably not that one, but I do know of two saps who still pack 1911s.
Thanks for the compliment I see you have been checking out my Pics. :s0114:

You are absolutely right, as for the reasons you listed I own a Glock. More so for the reason I spend a lot of time on the River and have always had the fear of somehow doping my pistol in the drink.

I did say I think my 1911 is a "beauty" but you must understand for me my Arsenal AK is also a "beauty". Neither one is shinny and new anymore. While I try not scratch them up too bad using them I do try to shoot the living crap out of both. Thus no more perfect finish and lots of bare metal showing.

As for everyday carry my G26 does edge out the 1911, but I do carry it when every possible. Yes it is big and heavy but so am I (280 lbs.)

I will say I do take offense to the "Sap" comment. If you read back several post you will see I hold the tittle of 1911 "FANBOY" and would prefer to not have my reputation tarnished.

Thank you :s0114:

My CBOB. It's stainless, ya know.:D In fact, except for the following times, it's all I carry anymore.

Rarely, very rarely I will take the wife's Smith 642. because it's so small I can hide it easier. Sometimes when going afield I will pack my Three Screw .41 mag. I like the power jump compared to the .45 ACP, but the CBOB is much more comfortable to pack along.

Last Edited:
I should add that I've never shot a Glock, but I welcome the chance to. Almost bought one 15+ years ago but it didn't fit my hand well. Over the years I've found that I shoot a single action auto better than any other handgun I've tried, revolver or semi-auto. May have something to do with growing up shooting a Ruger Standard 22.