JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So you carry a .500 SWM concealed? Boy that sound like fun..might as well carry a cut down 12 ga.

I would if I could.... on both counts

I guess that's why the 1911 design is still around after almost 100 years and most US special forces prefer it?:D

being almost 100 years old is precisely why it's outdated
You can buy black powder pistols made from designs that are hundreds of years old, it doesnt mean that they're not outdated and not particularly reliable.

and it hasnt been the preference of special forces since the 70's.... of course this is all conjecture. It's like saying that spies prefer glocks. It's a fake and meaningless statistic.

being almost 100 years old is precisely why it's outdated
You can buy black powder pistols made from designs that are hundreds of years old, it doesnt mean that they're not outdated and not particularly reliable.

and it hasnt been the preference of special forces since the 70's.... of course this is all conjecture. It's like saying that spies prefer glocks. It's a fake and meaningless statistic.

Yeah... the 1911...So because it is the most wildly copied/customized hand gun of, pretty much all time..... where you can get anything from the basic to the awesome custom makes it outdated :s0129:

S*#t that reminds me my golf clubs are a year old................ :huh:

My .02
I like and carry either one fits what I feel like at the time. If I want, I carry my ED BROWN and other times when I want I will carry my Glock 19. I carry what suits my needs and or what I want to carry. :s0131:

The US Marine Corps Expeditionary force still uses the 1911 and so do some FBI units. The fact that there are military and law enforcement people that prefer the 1911 is not a "fake and meaningless statistic).:s0155:

Yeah... the 1911...So because it is the most wildly copied/customized hand gun of, pretty much all time..... where you can get anything from the basic to the awesome custom makes it outdated :s0129:

You can make a washboard out of titanium and charge thousands for it, but washboards are still outdated. ;)

What I love is that after nearly 100 years of goobering with it, the 1911 is still an unreliable platform.

I believe this quote exemplifies the 1911 fanboi delusions.
Which is better? I couldn't say. But if I was betting my life on one I will take the Les Baer TRS every time.

He'd rather stake his life on a gun that has failed him 3 times, over a gun that's never failed him.... and all because of fanboyism.

The US Marine Corps Expeditionary force still uses the 1911 and so do some FBI units. The fact that there are military and law enforcement people that prefer the 1911 is not a "fake and meaningless statistic).:s0155:

Sure it is
First you said "most US special forces prefer it". Now it's some prefer it. The truth is, you cant verify that anyone prefers it. There is no agency that lists the 1911 as its "preferred" sidearm.

Cuz that sure what it seems to have turned into.

Also, I think that MrNiceGuy needs a new name. Someone obviously struck a chord with him. He's sure pissin' in the Wheaties here.....

Do a Google search on who still uses the 1911. Here are a few 1911 users: Delta Force, Marine Corps, FBI's Hostage Rescue Team, LA police department's Swat team. That's not to mention that in competitive shooting many shooters prefer the 1911. The reputation of the 1911 being an unreliable gun came after world war 2 when surplus 1911's hit the market, many of which were severely worn or had parts swapped around willy nilly without proper fitting.

If I didn't know or care about guns but had to own one, just one gun that, much as I didn't like it I had to carry around and try to pretend it wasn't there, it'd be a Glock.

In fact I do carry a plastic gun, the reason is that I don't care about that particular gun so holster wear and getting beat up, maybe confiscated or whatever bad befalls carry guns, doesn't bother me.

My 1911's are treasures to me, I want them to be passed on by others who appreciate a fine gun long after I'm gone. I can't imagine passing on a Glock, or treasuring one for that matter. How about leaving a Bic pen to a grandson?

Who am I to trash talk a titanium washboard if it tickles your fancy MrNiceGuy :confused:

He'd rather stake his life on a gun that has failed him 3 times, over a gun that's never failed him.... and all because of fanboyism.

Odd.... I was thinking

"At least he is willing to carry a gun to defend himself" :s0155:

Go ahead and hate on the 1911 MrNiceGuy.
We like them, get over it, doesn't mean that you have to like them.
I identify with all your stated sediments Partsproduction, I bought my 1911 with the intention of being able to pass it down, in addition to carrying it, and shooting it for fun.

No, but seriously, have you read all the recent reports of "bad guys" taking multiple hits from 9mm and still going? I would not trust anything less that a .357 or .40.

The reason you hear of all these bad guys taking "multiple hits from 9mm" and still going is because 9mm is a very popular caliber, and is used more often, thus you hear about it more often.

It's like saying, junk yards have a lot of Honda's in them, so Honda's must suck. When the truth is Honda sold a butt load of cars in the 90's, so of course there will be more accidents and what not involving Honda, thus resulting in a higher percentage of Honda's in the junk yard. Same goes with the 9mm, you will hear about it more often because it is a more popular round.

You can make a washboard out of titanium and charge thousands for it, but washboards are still outdated. ;)

What I love is that after nearly 100 years of goobering with it, the 1911 is still an unreliable platform.

I believe this quote exemplifies the 1911 fanboi delusions.

Sure it is
First you said "most US special forces prefer it". Now it's some prefer it. The truth is, you cant verify that anyone prefers it. There is no agency that lists the 1911 as its "preferred" sidearm.

I will say I was honored to know I exemplified something although my age was pretty evident when I realized I had no idea what fanboyism was. So I Googled it and had to laugh. So you hate the 1911 we get it, and you want to flame out everyone that doesn't have the same opinion as you. I think we all get that too, but please if you are going to get all internet commando on us lets try to be a little more angry and a lot more creative. I mean whats next "GRUNDEL rides the Short Bus and eats his Boogers". :s0129:

I will say I was honored to know I exemplified something although my age was pretty evident when I realized I had no idea what fanboyism was. So I Googled it and had to laugh. So you hate the 1911 we get it, and you want to flame out everyone that doesn't have the same opinion as you. I think we all get that too, but please if you are going to get all internet commando on us lets try to be a little more angry and a lot more creative. I mean whats next "GRUNDEL rides the Short Bus and eats his Boogers". :s0129:

:s0112: Good come back. Polite yet condescending. :s0155:

FWIW I too am a 1911 lover, though I'm not a glock hater. I'd have to have shot one to have a real opinion about them. I have an aquaintence with one of those plastic fantastic guns but he's never brought it out shooting with me. One of these days I'll get to shoot one and formulate a propper opinion of them. Who knows maybe I'll find yet another gun that I love to shoot. I don't know though it appears to be an entirely different animal.

It's all in good fun. I don't take anyone too serious and expected nothing less getting onto a thread that was clearly going down the road of Glock vs. 1911. I shoot both, but shoot one particular 1911 much, much better, than any other pistol I own. Sure it may be due to the fact I shoot it more and have more confidence shooting it that makes me a much better shot with it, but the bottom line is that it clearly works best for me. If and when I get to that point with a Glock I will have no problem saying Glock is the best gun for me. As for reliability if you shoot them enough believe it or not Glocks will sometimes fail. Not the end of days or any reason to not own one.

As for my 1911 sure 3 failures to go into battery as stated in my earlier post, but now that I am at just over 4100 rounds that gives me a failure rate less than one tenth of a percent. I can live with that. My guess is the odds of me getting killed today driving home from work is much more likely than me being in a gun fight and having my 1911 fail.