JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My RIA Tactical gets really dirty sometimes. I blew out a bunch of softball reloads last night... powder residue everywhere. Still ran fine. Of course, there is just a little rattle with it, which can be a good thing in a fighting gun.

Of course, my Glock 21 (while I owned it) was also a flawlessly functioning piece of work. Both are guns, both are good guns. I prefer one over the other, and your tastes may vary (hey, it's OK guys!).

The main point? Both in .45acp. If I simply MUST stake my life on a cartridge, all other things aside, the .45 makes the bigger wound channel. Shot placement is obviously THE most important factor, but solid shot placement, and a larger projectile tends to stack the odds in my favor. I am actually more accurate with the .45 than I am with smaller calibers for some odd reason.

Long story short: Long live the .45! :s0155: :s0112:

Tell me what is wrong with a Glock?

it goes boom every time.
Dirty, full of sand or mud it works.

1911 is a fine pistol I have owned a 2 Kimbers tac custom II (no problems) and pro eclipse (FTF, FTE), Springfield v10 (FTF, FTE)
Kimber CDP pro (picky) these are clean and lubed guns. I would hate to have it a little dirty 

Glock 17,19,23,26,21sf have never had a problem at all.

Sure you've never had a problem with your glock going 'boom'...

I have a glock 23... and I have problems with it, every time I try to shoot it as well as my 1911s. :(

All kidding aside, the glock serves its purpose... it works when nothing else will. But I don't see any reason to own more than one of them. Everything I own shoots nicer than my glock. The glock is the rolling in the sand gun... I guess. :s0114:

If I simply MUST stake my life on a cartridge, all other things aside, the .45 makes the bigger wound channel.

I agree, though the 10MM has taken first place in my SD selection as it does everything I'd want a handgun to do, if I can hold it steady enough I can kill at 150 yards with it (What I mean is that the cartridge shoots flat enough) while with the .45 I have a lot more hold over guesswork to do. Plus the 10MM will penetrate much more, which can also be considered a disadvantage. At 10MM speeds it is very unlikely that it will not open up, so it will make a large wound channel. Granted, with the .45 you know it won't shrink. :D

10mm is a firebreather for sure.

Over-penetration may be a problem for me, as I live in an apartment. So, aside from my affinity for the cartridge, in theory it should work well for what I need it to do, within the confines of my living area. If you are within reasonable handgun distances, and pose a threat, I can do all I need to with that .45. Being able to use a handgun to 150 yards is quite a skill. One I don't have:s0114:

I have a glock 23... and I have problems with it, every time I try to shoot it as well as my 1911s. :(

All kidding aside, the glock serves its purpose... it works when nothing else will. But I don't see any reason to own more than one of them. Everything I own shoots nicer than my glock. The glock is the rolling in the sand gun... I guess. :s0114:

If you have problems with more than one gun I'd be looking at how you're holding it! Limp wristing is one very good reason for problems.

And I don't own Glocks, they just don't fir my hand well and also don't point correctly, the grip angle is just wrong for me.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
SWWAC Member

It's mostly just a joke, because Glock guys are so wildly loyal to them. I'd never own one.

Why so "Wildly loyal" to the notion that you would NEVER own one? Although I have a similar notion. Toyota. Great cars, but I wont own one. It pisses me off that so many people will blindly follow them because they are so reliable, last so long, and will take care of you if you take care of it.......... wait, thats why Im so wildly loyal to my Glock....?:s0155:

I love this debate, trying to compare a Glock to a 1911 :) I have owned several of each G17, G23, G26, Springfield 1911 Loaded, Kimber CDP, Kimber SIS, and a Les Baer TRS. Of those my favorites are the LB TRS and the G26, but they are apples to oranges when trying to compare them. My Glock is the cheap little "mud gun" that I don't worry about trashing or dropping in the river. The trigger sucks, the plastic grip sucks, and it is ugly, but it shoots. Its a tool I can count on to fire every time I pull the trigger .

The Baer on the other hand cost me a ton and weighs a ton. But in my eyes is a beauty to look at, fits in my hand better than any handgun I have ever owned, and tares giant ragged holes in the center of my targets all day long. As far as reliability the Les Baer is not your average 1911. I had 2 FTF in my first 2 mag's and then it ran perfect until about round 1960 when it jammed up on the badly burred rim of some cheap factory ammo (MagTech). Putting my round count at 3700 with the 3 FTF listed.

Which is better? I couldn't say. But if I was betting my life on one I will take the Les Baer TRS every time.

Next we should talk about which is better the AK47 or the AR15 since they are much more comparable. :s0114:

AK :s0155:

I was a diehard 1911 fan, but, I happened into a deal on a witness .45, never looked back. true D/A, controls placed like my 1911, never any ftf, fte, misfires,AND, it hits inside a 10" circle at 30 plus yards(off hand). It fits my monster hand, I now have 2 (and a 22 conversion).

As long as there are still .50AE, .50GI, and .500SWM, puny cartridges like the .45 wont get any love from me.

and the 1911 is an outdated, unreliable, and overpriced design.

I wish you could sell this opinion to the masses. It might drive down the price of reloading components for my puny, outdated, unreliable, and overpriced .45 :s0114:

Modern handgun caliber arguments are crap when you introduce hollowpoints.

9mm is great if you like it, 40 is great if you like it, 45 is great if you like it.

I just chose 9mm because the only concession I have to make is like 0.01" diameter difference once the HP expands.

For that I gain capacity, lower recoil, better penetration, etc.

I mean, what am I going to do with all this extra money?

Oh right, more rounds so more practice :)

Modern handgun caliber arguments are crap when you introduce hollowpoints.

9mm is great if you like it, 40 is great if you like it, 45 is great if you like it.

I just chose 9mm because the only concession I have to make is like 0.01" diameter difference once the HP expands.

For that I gain capacity, lower recoil, better penetration, etc.

I mean, what am I going to do with all this extra money?

Oh right, more rounds so more practice :)

I think you decimal place is off by one...
I go with what Clint Smith says--shoot the biggest gun that works for YOU. That gun works for you, so shoot it. Nuff said.